PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Cleaning a Glass Shower Screen?

Sunflower
18-Jul-08, 23:49
Hi,, does anyone out there have any top tips for cleaning a glass shower screen?

wifie
18-Jul-08, 23:58
Like any glass - hot water in a bucket wi a wee glug of white vinegar - wipe on with a cloth and buff with a dry cloth. Will be sparkling!

MadPict
19-Jul-08, 00:35
"Hi! Barry Scott here with Cillit Bang Grime and Lime!!!"

Does quite a good job of getting the muck off, or so I am reliably informed (tucking his marigolds out of sight)...

Ricco
19-Jul-08, 07:25
Once a year (when I can guarantee a dry day) I take the screen off the mount and lay it flat on a workbench (towel underneath to protect the glass) and brush a proprietary limescale remover over the glass. After an hour or so I clean this off and do the other side. Give it a good clean and leave to dry. Later, paint it with a product called Rainex - this gives it a water repellant coating and the water then falls off like off a duck's back. Great! :D

Thumper
19-Jul-08, 08:10
I use a white vinegar spray,kids moan that it smells but the glass is spotless and the smell goes after a few minutes x

Ash
19-Jul-08, 08:17
white vinegar and microfibre cloth

Sunflower
19-Jul-08, 08:43
I'm off to get my marigolds!!! Looks like it's not going to be fit for much else this morning, so the shower screen is top of the agenda.

Thanks ever so much for the tips. :)

cazmanian_minx
19-Jul-08, 08:54
When drying it, go vertically on one side and horizontally on the other, then if there are smears you know which side to attack.

poppett
19-Jul-08, 16:32
Astonish glass and tile cleaner. Use it once a month, the rest of the time the water runs off itself or use the rubber squeegee thingy to dry it quick

Margaret M.
19-Jul-08, 20:16
Microfiber cloths and water work beautifully on mirrors, shower doors, etc. Easy as pie and never a streak or smear. I use one with the water and a dry one to give it a quick once over and it sparkles.

twiglet
19-Jul-08, 20:47
Cillit Bang or good old vinegar is good to get your glass sparkling. Rub it after with a soft cotton cloth. To keep it that way, Shower Shine is great. As a cleaner, I highly recommend it.

floyed
19-Jul-08, 23:08
Like any glass - hot water in a bucket wi a wee glug of white vinegar - wipe on with a cloth and buff with a dry cloth. Will be sparkling!

How do you get rid of the smell of vinegar after cleaning??:D

wifie
19-Jul-08, 23:10
It just disappears - you don't use gallons!

Kathy@watten
19-Jul-08, 23:14
Oh dear think you need to have a glass of wine or two there and a few smudges will all seem really not that bad and enjoy a little me time....hey if the shower is minging...have a bath! cya soon

bonami
19-Jul-08, 23:52
Canna beat fairy liquid liquid and a shamy and plenty elbow greese.

floyed
20-Jul-08, 10:45
It just disappears - you don't use gallons!

I see must give it a go, didn't fancy ma shower smelling o vinegar lol:D

Fluff
20-Jul-08, 11:52
i always spray our screen with shower shine after each shower, makes it easier to clean although ours is not glass.

cillit bang does a good job too i find

pat
20-Jul-08, 12:10
vinegar on a cloth, rinse off then dry with microfibre or a very soft cotton cloth.
vinegar smell goes in a few minutes, definitely does not smell like a chip shop.

Betty
20-Jul-08, 16:19
Something a bit different. I find a dampened dryer fabric softener sheet (hope you get them on your side of the pond) works really well.

Sunflower
20-Jul-08, 21:46
Wow,, thanks for all the tips. I settled for Cillit Bang (was a bit sceptical but it seems to have done the job!). I tried your suggestion Cazmanian Minx - brilliant! I have the microfibre cloth and vinegar on standby to finish the job and as for the wine.. should have taken that first and then I might not have noticed the screen was foosum... :D