PDA

View Full Version : Car maintenance

Tugmistress
18-Jul-08, 21:44
Ok today has got me thinking....
I spent this afternoon working on a couple of jobs on my car. I guess by doing it myself i have saved a pennies by not taking it to the garage or wherever.
I rotated the wheels (back to front and front to back) and re tapped a thread where the bolt had stripped and replaced with a larger bolt. the next job i have to do is adjust the handbrake (hopefully tomorrow if the weather is good).
I do my own oil changes, oil & filter changes (every 3rd oil change), air filter and other general maintenance as the other week i rubbed down rust spots, treated, primed and resprayed on my bonnet.

Do any other orgers do this too or am i just a loony? [lol]

percy toboggan
18-Jul-08, 22:08
There was a time when I couldn't afford 'maintenance'.
I must have gone fifteen years and more and never had a car (old banger)serviced!
I'd do the odd bit meself...maybe reline back brakes and even changed a wate rpump once! Alternators too.

Now I stump up for a full service on the auld 'M' reg Audi every year. It gets what it needs.
It repays the investment (touchwood) and I'd not hesitate to get in it now and drive to John O' Groats - save for the four pints of Abbot I've supped. (maybe tomorra - or maybe not...we have a treadmill to collect, a Son to welcome home , and a supermarket trolley to fill)

wifie
18-Jul-08, 22:13
Hey Tugs - more power to yer elbow! Can't claim to be a whizz on the motor maintenance but I am not a helpless female either! ;)
PS Watch oot on the handbrake job - is there not a nasty spring waitin in there for ya?

Bobinovich
18-Jul-08, 22:17
Sorry Tuggs - can't answer...

I used to do the basics when I drove older models, and could probably still do so (and save some money) if I could be bothered. But thesedays I prefer to leave it in the hands of those who can do it quicker, have the right tools for the job, and so doing get the dealers stamp to keep the FSH valid!

Unfortunately there's not an 'I could do it but can't be bovvered' option [lol]

Tugmistress
18-Jul-08, 22:19
Hey Tugs - more power to yer elbow! Can't claim to be a whizz on the motor maintenance but I am not a helpless female either! ;)
PS Watch oot on the handbrake job - is there not a nasty spring waitin in there for ya?

nope, all i have to do is 2 x 13mm spanners under the middle of the car where the handbrake is :)
no nasty taking drums apart lol
yes i do the break pads too, front and rear and i know next time the rear need doing i am replacing the disc aswell :confused lmao

A_Usher
18-Jul-08, 22:20
I am hopeless with cars, people and computers i am fine, but cars, lawnmowers or anything mechanic, then forget it, i am useless.

Ricco
19-Jul-08, 07:40
I do as much as I can once the car is out of warranty... though this is becoming increasingly difficult as more things become electronic. My hat off to you, Tuggs. 'Respect!' as the saying goes.

badger
19-Jul-08, 09:30
I used to do basic stuff in the days before cars were computerised and when they needed more regular tlc. Now, apart from filling up the screenwash (very technical :) ) I leave it to the garage.

justine
19-Jul-08, 12:42
I have learnt over my married years the ins and outs of an engine, thanks to my hubby, which in truth is good as you have more chance of getting hit by a low flying duck than finding a mechanic up here to help you out...:roll::confused

canuck
19-Jul-08, 15:26
I have changed a bulb in the headlight, but not much beyond that so I voted for the third option because the sentiment pretty much sums up my knowledge around car maintenance. I do know the phone number for the repair shop.

Highland Laddie
19-Jul-08, 15:47
Put it to the garage, that's what they are there for.

Anne x
19-Jul-08, 15:49
3rd option for me Im afraid totally useless can put windscreen washer stuff in though and change the CDS !! does hanging a Air Freshner count ?admire you Tuggs

Tighsonas4
19-Jul-08, 16:50
tuggs the mechanic
more power to your elbow kid . someone once asked if i had any tools.
give me tools and go under the bonnet and a mechanic wouldnt be able to fix it sitting on that bollard when were leaving must be inspirational [lol] tony

rs 2k
19-Jul-08, 17:05
I'm am lucky as my hubby does all my maintence [lol]

If i never had him it would b the garage for me

Just a month ago he did my head gasket, which cost us £78 with all bolts, but if i put it to a garage it would of been a fortune, he spent 3 or 4 nights at it, after his work so u can imagine

He gets the car ready for the mot and does all the work if it fails on anything, i am really lucky that way, couldn't afford a car if it wasn't for him

Buy all parts from ebay, which saves another fortune

I priced heater plugs on ebay and can get them delivered all in for £23 and priced them in a shop up here and they want £13+vat each,

Cheers darling xx ;)

Linzy

EDDIE
19-Jul-08, 19:10
Put it to the garage, that's what they are there for.

Some people cant afford the garage bills.And secondly its good to see people with the have a go attitude its the only way you will ever get experience at doing anything is buy having a go and learning from your mistakes that u make

northener
19-Jul-08, 23:32
It's rather strange, but I loathe working on cars - even though they are the mainstay of my business.....I'll chuck them at the garage straight away.

But put a motorbike in front of me and I'll happily spend all day working on it.

waresboy
20-Jul-08, 12:46
i get a mechanic friend to do anything on mine as a "homer" at his house after work,he usually charges me parts cost + a few quid on top.so no need to worry about garage bills

Dadie
21-Jul-08, 12:11
My hubby is researching what to do with my car at the moment!
I havent got a clue whats what under the bonnet.
I lost all power in the car yesterday and it limped home at less than 30MPH the whole way (I got overtaken by a cyclist who gave me a funny look as she passed me) .
Hubby thinks its the inducer coils (dont ask me)
He also changes the brake pads, lightbulbs etc ....so I dont need to know is my theory anyway!

sweetpea
21-Jul-08, 19:58
I can't even change a bulb. I'd love to know how... but I'm useless with anything to do with engines. Once when I had my first car I let it run dry of petrol, oil AND water all at the same time and unbelieveably it stopped right outside my front door![lol]

mums angels
22-Jul-08, 13:59
Well Hubby taught me the basics years ago but i have never bothered to do it , as hes a mechanic i usually leave most of it to him or put it to a garage if hes away

Torvaig
05-Nov-08, 12:50
I think there is a good opening for teaching the basics of car maintenance. If you drive a car it would be good to be able to change a tyre, do the top ups, tyre pressure etc. In fact maybe it should be compulsory to be able to do these things as part of the test?

I was taught the basics when I passed my test and that was in the good old days when cars were more mechanical than electronic. We had an old vauxhall whose starter was dodgy and if it jammed and rocking the car in second gear did not work you had to get out the heavy mob.

The heavy mob was an enormous spanner kept in the boot and you gave the starter a healthy crack to unjam it!

One fine day, well it wasn't, it was raining heavily, the dear old auto would not start after having parked it up to do some shopping. I returned to the car, soaking wet, loaded the shopping and got into the driver's seat ready to go home and dry out.

Old Betsy wouldn't start. I gave a big sigh and then a few choice words but no, that didn't work. Nothing else for it but to go back out into the rain and "do the deed".

Getting out of the car I notice a couple of men sitting in the car next to me trying to avoid my eye so that they wouldn't have to get out in the rain and offer to help. I haughtily ignored them, got my trusty spanner out of the boot only to see them dissolve into laughter and spluttering at the sight.

I opened up the bonnet, gave the starter its starter for ten, closed the bonnet, threw the spanner nonchalantly into the boot, prayed all the way back into the car, turned the key and hey presto, there was life.

You should have seen their faces! I drove away with my nose in the air as if it was an everyday occurrence and nae problem tae this wifie!

Kodiak
05-Nov-08, 13:34
I used to do all my own servicing on any car I had. Also while working out at the Lighthouse I used to service all the Generators and Fog Engines.

Unfortunately, now due to ill-health I am unable to any work on my car and I have to rely on a Garage to do even the simplist thing. ie 2 months ago I required the Wiper Blades replaced and I just could not manage, so I had to get this done for me. Sad is it not.

Bad Manners
05-Nov-08, 14:48
I am in the nice position now to have a new car and the servicing is part of the deal.
however before I got to this stage I did all my own servicing and minor works firstly it was to save money and then because I enjoyed doing it.
I think anyone who drives should have at least a basic knowledge of their vehicle and should be able to Change wheels check all levels and tyres on a regular basis
So anyone who does their own servicing gets my vote

carasmam
05-Nov-08, 21:13
...in the good old days when cars were more mechanical than electronic....
Getting out of the car I notice a couple of men sitting in the car next to me trying to avoid my eye so that they wouldn't have to get out in the rain and offer to help. I haughtily ignored them, got my trusty spanner out of the boot only to see them dissolve into laughter and spluttering at the sight.

I opened up the bonnet, gave the starter its starter for ten, closed the bonnet, threw the spanner nonchalantly into the boot, prayed all the way back into the car, turned the key and hey presto, there was life.

You should have seen their faces! I drove away with my nose in the air as if it was an everyday occurrence and nae problem tae this wifie!

:lol: Yes the good old days. I can just picture you. I would have done the same, maybe even stuck my tongue out. :Razz

Kevin Milkins
07-Nov-08, 03:09
I always used to be able to fix most things on my old bangers that got us about for years.
My proudest DIY claim to fame was I could change the clutch in my Morris 1000 in under 2 hours from start to finish.
In them days it was always make do and mend.
Today I am not even sure what I am looking at when I raise the bonnet:eek: so I resist raising the bonnet.:roll: I can do the tyre pressure though.:Razz

weeboyagee
07-Nov-08, 15:19
^
l
l

Now who in their right mind would allow me under the bonnet of that to fix it - drive it yes, fix it - NO!

WBG