PDA

View Full Version : Monitor glare

scaraben
18-Jul-08, 14:42
Can anyone tell me how to obtain a reasonably priced anti-glare screen to fit on my monitor please ? and further, has anyone used one of these and how effective are they.

blueivy
18-Jul-08, 15:39
Can anyone tell me how to obtain a reasonably priced anti-glare screen to fit on my monitor please ? and further, has anyone used one of these and how effective are they.

Anti-glare screens are next to useless on TFT's (although I wouldn't say definitely don't get one) as the 'screen' on a TFT is usually not reflective. On CRT's they are quite useful but are a bit cumbersome.

If you have a TFT I would suggest you simply get it out of the light. Anti-glare filters only do so much. They can't make the screen viisible if the sun is shining directly on it (for example).

scaraben
18-Jul-08, 21:18
Sorry Paul I don't know what a TFT or a CRT screen is !!!!!! Consequently I equally don't know if this glare screen would help me or not !!

blueivy
18-Jul-08, 21:21
Sorry Paul I don't know what a TFT or a CRT screen is !!!!!! Consequently I equally don't know if this glare screen would help me or not !!

Sorry too much jargon :)

A TFT is a flat panel monitor (one of the new monitors that are only a few inches thick).

A CRT is an older glass fronted monitor that is a bit like an old TV and about a few feet thick :lol:

If you've got a CRT then the anti-glare will probably help. If you'e got a TFT it's unlikely to help (note I said it's unlikely and not won't).

scaraben
18-Jul-08, 22:08
Thanks for advice I have the flat screen. If one is on a certain medication one's face gets very red when exposed to even normal sunshine. I am on such a medication and more recently I note that after long periods looking at the monitor screen my face has suffered ...... hence I thought some form of glare protection might be helpful.

blueivy
18-Jul-08, 22:19
Thanks for advice I have the flat screen. If one is on a certain medication one's face gets very red when exposed to even normal sunshine. I am on such a medication and more recently I note that after long periods looking at the monitor screen my face has suffered ...... hence I thought some form of glare protection might be helpful.

Ahhhhhh ... see you didn't say that :-)

That's a different kettle of fish. What you need is a UV filter for your monitor. That will cut down on your exposure to the radiation. Some anti-glare filters incorporate them and some don't. You'll probably find the ones that don't to be less expensive.

I have experience with anti-glare filters but not with uv filters I'm afraid. Somebody may be able to recommend one that they use or failing that I'd just search for them. I did a quick search and got this (http://www.bizrate.co.uk/monitoraccessories/products__keyword--anti+glare+uv+filter.html) from Bizrate. Can't make any recommendation but they do claim to cut down on UV radiation.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-08, 01:26
I have got a spare welding mask you could try.
Then again after that advice I might start wearing myself.lol:lol:

scaraben
20-Jul-08, 17:12
Now ................ Kevin ....... a spare welding mask !!!!!!!!!!! Pull the other leg ! I think that could be a bit over- the-top. I couldn't imagine what my Wife would say if she saw me sitting at my PC with a welding mask on !!! Probably she would run from my little den screaming help !