PDA

View Full Version : Wick Seaspray

johndh
16-Jul-08, 00:13
Just going through some recent shots taken recently. This one proved a challenge to keep the detail in the highlights. I used tone mapping before tweaking with the usual levels, curves and just a 1 pixel high pass filter to tweak the sharpness.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2671941087_dc2f35b044_o.jpg

Kevin Milkins
16-Jul-08, 01:27
With great results johndh.
Well done.

North Light
16-Jul-08, 07:08
johndh,

Excellent processing, great detail in the whites.

wicker05
16-Jul-08, 22:57
Nice Photo Johndh, what software are you using?

johndh
17-Jul-08, 18:26
Hi wicker05

I use photoshop cs3 and photomatix plugin for the tone mapping.

wifie
17-Jul-08, 22:41
I have looked at this thread many times and I would just like to say that although I think the spray is fabulous I find the colours on the right of the picture, esp the sea and the far off seaweed rather untrue. This is just my opinion and I hope you don't mind me voicing it johndh.

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
18-Jul-08, 08:46
When I first opened this thread I was leaning back a bit and the first thing I saw was the water sprite or fairy throughing her hair back,great pic,and no I am not on the green stuff Regards

johndh
18-Jul-08, 11:22
wifie,

I don't mind anyone voicing their observations at all, its most welcome.

I see what you mean about the colour, the seaweed is particularly strident and its one of the dangers of tone mapping. I tend to use it as a last resort when I'm struggling with highlight detail and often become tunnel visioned, forgetting the rest of the picture. Ultimately a better result would be to use a combination of using masks, levels, and curves, but that is so time consuming and more of a winter pursuit.

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au

I see what you mean. :D

Bobinovich
18-Jul-08, 22:30
Would there be any chance of posting the untouched original as well so a direct comparison can be made pre & post processing?

johndh
19-Jul-08, 20:03
Here is the untouched version, please feel free to edit. I reckon that levels, curves, dodge, burn etc should produce a better end result. Feel free to have a go.

It'll probably be winter before I get the chance to revisit this one my self, but certainly looking forward to it.

Cheers

John

Edit:

Just realised that you need to click on the image to get it full size.

Sporran
20-Jul-08, 16:44
I prefer your original, untouched version, johndh.

johndh
20-Jul-08, 20:19
I prefer your original, untouched version, johndh.

tbh, I'm inclined to agree with you. The only thing that I will probably work on is parts of water where extra detail can be brought out, and doing it manually should be a better result than using the photomatix plug-in.

Cheers

John