PDA

View Full Version : Boathaven / Broadhaven

trinkie
14-Jul-08, 18:10
Someone was asking about Boathaven - I can't find the Thread.

It's on the north side of Wick, going out past Willowbank towards Staxigoe. On the left is Boathaven and nearby is Broadhaven.... Someone will put me right if this is not accurate !!

Trinkie

Betty
15-Jul-08, 05:50
I've heard of both place names but am not exactly sure where they are in relation to each other. An old map of Caithness only shows Broadhaven. However, I've just come across a reference to both places in Herbert Sinclair's book, Caithness 1925 -26 (where plasticjock found the latest Wick photos). He says "The last Sunday evening in August, in company with the Pulteney Postmaster, Boathaven ("Broadhaven" as it was in the old days), and Staxigoe were visited. We wandered about the ruined cooperages at Boathaven and tried to place the exact site of Willie Owman's Mill......."

Mosser
15-Jul-08, 20:33
Boathaven was in the south west corner of the larger Broadhaven and the ground above was also Boathaven, there was even a Boathaven Inn. The last people to run it were, I think, the Parkers in the 1st decade of the 20th Century.

Looking into Broadhaven from the sea Willie Omand's Mill was in the right or north west corner.

Tighsonas4
16-Jul-08, 20:38
BROADHAVEN
you leave willow bank and broadhaven commences. it finishes at the briggie[omands briggie]it was there that willie omand had his mill
you can still see the burn although its dry now
below there is a haven whuch could have used as a curing station bits of a slip still remain
am nearly sure there was a old caithness poem about willie omans mill but cant for the life of me remember it tony

Betty
17-Jul-08, 01:30
I found one verse of the poem about Willie Oman's Mill. It also came from Herbert Sinclair's book, 'Caithness 1925 - 26', when he speaks of Boathaven/Broadhaven.

"But it would no outlive its day,
And both are lying low, man,
Time worked its will on Willie's Mill
And time killed Willie Owman!"

Tighsonas4
17-Jul-08, 12:24
BROADHAVEN
thanks for that betty.was sure there was a poem or ditty in connection with this. in that bay there is also what is called the mill rock
regards tony

Mosser
17-Jul-08, 17:25
Here's the poem folks

Willie Oman’s Mill.
Alang the road as aft I’ve trod
To see the Pilot Row, man
A place I saw, an’ it they ca’
The Mill O’ Willie Oman.

Ablow the bridge at the sea’s edge
An biggit aside a knowe man
A store o’ heicht half shades ‘e sicht