PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Smith grandson of George Smith and Christian Malcolm

Kathb
13-Jul-08, 12:13
I am hoping that someone may have a connection with this family from Brough, Dunnet and have more information than myself. I have been researching them for some years and cannot find the death of Daniel who was a ?Sea Captain. Daniel was the grandson of George Smith and Christian Malcolm he was born in 1835 (his marriage cert to Cecilia Calder in 1855 states that his birth was not registered). The family state that Daniel (often mistranscribed as David and Donald) was lost at sea. I cannot find any record of this. On Cecilia's death cert in 1875 it states that she is the wife of Daniel Smith Mariner. Does anyone researching this family have any information on Daniel please?
Thank You
Kathb

Artista
28-Apr-09, 20:42
Hi there, you may like to try looking under Scotland's People Deaths and instead of a town use 'all locations' . I found the death cert for a relative of mine this way. It is on the Register General of Shipping and Seamen. Good Luck!

theone
29-Apr-09, 16:26
I am hoping that someone may have a connection with this family from Brough, Dunnet and have more information than myself. I have been researching them for some years and cannot find the death of Daniel who was a ?Sea Captain. Daniel was the grandson of George Smith and Christian Malcolm he was born in 1835 (his marriage cert to Cecilia Calder in 1855 states that his birth was not registered). The family state that Daniel (often mistranscribed as David and Donald) was lost at sea. I cannot find any record of this. On Cecilia's death cert in 1875 it states that she is the wife of Daniel Smith Mariner. Does anyone researching this family have any information on Daniel please?
Thank You
Kathb

Hi,

I managed to find information on my relative , a Captain John Calder from Dunnet, using the Lloyds Captains register. A list is here: http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capintro.htm , but unfortunately the letter 'S' has not yet been transcribed.

If you do somehow find the reference to his captains number the national maritime museum in greenwich offer to photograph the records and supply them on CD for approximately £25. I found it well worth it.

Mamie_2
02-May-09, 02:08
I always look for both names if one is named Daniel or Donald as they seem to be generally interchangeable.
Daniel ,it seems, was often used day to day if one was christenend Donald at birth until he became an independant adult especially if his father was also a Donald.

I haven't found much incidence of David being used as a substitute for Daniel though but...

Mamie