PDA

View Full Version : waste of food

bobandag16
07-Jul-08, 09:10
gordon brown . going to g8. if you do away with sell by datesthere would be ahuge reduction .

teenybash
07-Jul-08, 11:30
I don't know about anyone else but, I have often used food beyond the sell by/use by date. My eyes and nose tell me if it is okay..............wonder if Mr Borown and his cronies do the same............

justine
07-Jul-08, 13:07
well i would say my kids eat practically most of what they are given, but i cant say that we dont waste food. On a percentage i would probably say 60-40% that they eat more than they waste..

I certainly have not found anything in the back of the cupboard thats out of date..

Angela
07-Jul-08, 14:02
Today and tomorrow I'll be eating food that says it's out of date....it won't be the first time, I just go by what my nose and eyes tell me.

Hopefully my senses won't have deceived me! :lol: :lol:

MadPict
07-Jul-08, 15:35
I wish they would stop treating us as idiots...

spurtle
07-Jul-08, 15:39
If food producers weren't forced to throw away fruit and veg that doesn't conform to EU standard shapes etc there probably wouldn't be much of a problem.
When we chuck food out it goes to the chickens.

silverfox57
07-Jul-08, 15:45
if thats all Mr brown can come up with at the g8 ,is not to waste on food,then we are all doomed,as other Scot used to say in dads army ,aye we all doomed

justine
07-Jul-08, 16:20
and true to govt norm,

Quote;;BBC news
"But while the government is telling households to reduce food waste it has no idea how much food it is throwing away itself. This is yet again a clear case of the government saying 'do as we say not as we do'."

rfr10
07-Jul-08, 19:02
In my opinion, it's the supermarkets that make us waste foods. Most of their "fresh" foods are out of date the next day or in a couple of days time. I usually look to the back of shelves in supermarkets to find the foods with a longer use-by date which means that the food at the front gets wasted. Most the reduced price items are out of date on the day you're buying them but they're still selling for prices over £2 for some items. They know that if no one buys it before the end of the day, it all gets dumped.. so a better idea, I'd think would be to give the foods off for free or sell them for pennies or they could reduce the items a bit sooner. They always seem to by in heaps of the same foods. They should buy in less of the ones that don't sell so well and stop stocking up when there are still 10 of the items left, putting newer foods to the back.

bobandag16
07-Jul-08, 19:09
If food producers weren't forced to throw away fruit and veg that doesn't conform to EU standard shapes etc there probably wouldn't be much of a problem.
When we chuck food out it goes to the chickens.
are food producers force or paid

badger
07-Jul-08, 19:35
There was a tv programme the other day with some eating food that was not only past its sell-by but in some cases actually mouldy. It's high time these silly dates were abolished and people left to use their common sense, except maybe with meat and fish. I mainly ignore them. Supermarkets throw away masses of perfectly good food because of this nonsense. There is a group of people (can't remember their name) who eat only food from bins and thrive.

The other thing that would reduce all this waste would be to ban all 3 for price of 2 offers on perishable goods and BOGOFs on everything, the latter to be replaced by half price offers which amounts to the same thing. Single people would not then be tempted to buy more than they need and families could still buy two for the price of one. Wonder which supermarket will be brave enough to do this?

Angela
07-Jul-08, 19:46
There was a tv programme the other day with some eating food that was not only past its sell-by but in some cases actually mouldy. It's high time these silly dates were abolished and people left to use their common sense, except maybe with meat and fish. I mainly ignore them. Supermarkets throw away masses of perfectly good food because of this nonsense. There is a group of people (can't remember their name) who eat only food from bins and thrive.

The other thing that would reduce all this waste would be to ban all 3 for price of 2 offers on perishable goods and BOGOFs on everything, the latter to be replaced by half price offers which amounts to the same thing. Single people would not then be tempted to buy more than they need and families could still buy two for the price of one. Wonder which supermarket will be brave enough to do this?

I'd agree about meat and fish, badger, but I very seldom buy them prepacked - I much prefer using the local butcher and fishmonger when I can get there. Cheaper, tastier, and I can buy exactly the amount I need.

I did catch a Sainsbury's person talking on this very subject on the lunchtime news today -claiming that Sainsburys were now selling a lot more loose fruit and veg, and doing more cut price offers and far fewer BOGOFS 'because the customers had told them that's what they wanted'. Now there's a surprise! :roll:

No Sainsburys conveniently near me however -and certainly not close to you! Perhaps other supermarkets will now follow suit? Here we have lost most of the small shops where it was easier to buy just the amount of food we needed. :(

Dadie
07-Jul-08, 19:50
I hope Mr Brown and his friends at G8 finish their 6 course and 8 course meals or at least take doggie bags back with them to eat later!

They could set an example.....

probably not gonna happen though!

Max
07-Jul-08, 20:39
[QUOTE=badger;404890]. There is a group of people (can't remember their name) who eat only food from bins and thrive.
QUOTE]

Freegans - I think they are called Freegans :)

badger
07-Jul-08, 21:35
Thanks Max - you're right http://freegan.org.uk/index.php
Maybe we should start a branch round here - must be loads of food at the back of Tesco's.

You're right as well, of course, Angela - meat and fish from proper shops are much better. I very rarely eat meat now and only smoked mackerel (because it's good for me!) so get that in the supermarket. If I wasn't so lazy, or such a hopeless gardener, I could easily grow veg. which I'm sure would never be wasted.

I can't imagine what Mary Ann and her family (as in Mary Ann's Cottage) would think of the way we waste so much as they never wasted anything and were I'm sure more content than most people now.

weeboyagee
07-Jul-08, 21:56
The man's an idiot. Complete and utter idiot. Statements like that when there are serious problems to be fixed are useless and unhelpful. Twit.

WBG :cool:

Tristan
07-Jul-08, 22:13
The ONLY reason I can see for the statement at this point in time is to try and draw attention away from the real cost of rising prices - Fuel.
I don't mean the rise per barrel I mean the governments taxation on the fuel that is the root cause of our current inflation figures and the cost of fuel in this county - at least at our fuel prices we are a world leader in something.

scorrie
07-Jul-08, 23:59
The man's an idiot. Complete and utter idiot. Statements like that when there are serious problems to be fixed are useless and unhelpful. Twit.

WBG :cool:

He's well past HIS sell-by date. Sadly, we have to wait to throw HIM out!!

Kevin Milkins
08-Jul-08, 00:15
He's well past HIS sell-by date. Sadly, we have to wait to throw HIM out!!

Throw him out//? I dont remember voting him in.:(

Lord Flasheart
08-Jul-08, 01:34
Yup Gotta love old cyclops standing at the G8 and lecturing the rest of us about wasting food while he has enjoyed an eight course dinner .. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/2262534/G8-summit-Gordon-Brown-has-eight-course-dinner-before-food-crisis-talks.html#continue .. just check out what he has been scoffing !!

Every time he opens his mouth these days all I hear is that line from Jurassic Park where old Attenbrough is talking about Jeff Goldblums character .. "I really hate that man"

badger
08-Jul-08, 10:50
Did it really not occur to any of those high living people at G8 that an 8 course banquet was maybe not the best idea? And are they all so gutless that not one of them had the courage to stand up, protest and refuse to partake? All the time they were stuck on that mountain they should have lived on a typical diet of the poorest part of the world - nothing like a little starvation for concentrating the mind.

Apparently it cost Japan more to police this event ($280m.) than their latest contribution to the Fund ($200m.). So waste of money as well as food.