PDA

View Full Version : Sideshows Wick

COACHMAN
04-Jul-08, 22:00
Just been down at them .What a waste of money its the worst Display of equipment i have seen in Wick.:mad:

jim shoe
04-Jul-08, 22:07
sooner they get out of wick the better its the same rubbish year in year out

rfr10
04-Jul-08, 22:18
Now after saying in an earlier post that I thought it was a waste of money- I was down tonight aswell and I think it's a lot better than previous years. The dogems are great, rave cage, there as usual, also a good time and that new appearance "Zig-zag" is fantastic. Couldn't keep away from the dogems myself. They do need more rides but the ones that are there are good fun. Bit too expensive though.

KCI
04-Jul-08, 22:35
To be honest, I think it's a shame that everyone complains about the Sideshows.
If you think they are a waste of money, then just stay away!
They are just making a living, like the rest of us, and they do work hard. It's just a bit of fun for the kids.
I haven't taken my son down yet, but I will be taking him. After all, I went there as a kid, so why shouldn't my son have the same rights?
The Sideshows are only here for a few weeks in the year, and it's something for the kids to look forward to.

floyed
05-Jul-08, 08:27
They are just making a living, like the rest of us, and they do work hard. It's just a bit of fun for the kids.
I haven't taken my son down yet, but I will be taking him. After all, I went there as a kid, so why shouldn't my son have the same rights?
The Sideshows are only here for a few weeks in the year, and it's something for the kids to look forward to.

I agree with you:D

I'll be taken my son down to them too, they are expensive the rides aint brand spanking new and there is'nt a great variety of rides for smaller children. But he loves it, and is delighted with the couple of teddy's/toys he wins and side show food dummys, candy floss ect.

It's just a bit of fun i used to love going when i was little and so does he.

brokencross
05-Jul-08, 08:43
Bit too expensive though.
Think that applies to fairgrounds everywhere. I think if it was a little cheaper (say £1-50 rather than £2-00 a go) people, especially children, would use the ride twice + more people would come to the fair so everybody wins (but not necessarily a gold fish). Has to be clean and safe though. I must admit as a child in the late 1950's early 60's I used to love the sideshows, just being there for a child is exciting.

BHG
05-Jul-08, 09:14
There are two reasons why they are as expensive as they are these days. Fuel and insurance.

The insurance they have to pay keeps going up and will be some obscene amount, and we all know about the rising fuel prices.

Just thought I'd point that out as I often get the feeling that some people think when something like this is as pricey as it is that the owners must be coining it in, that it's greed pushing up prices, when that just isn't so.

DEEKER
05-Jul-08, 11:35
there is actually another reason they are so expensive,the very large rent they pay to the council for the ground thier machines/stalls sit on,personally i dont fancy the floats and bonfire night at the riverside without them.

telfordstar
05-Jul-08, 13:54
just out of curiosity how much are the sideshows charging for a shot on things.

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 14:14
just out of curiosity how much are the sideshows charging for a shot on things.

£1.50 for all rides apart from the dogems which are £2.

dirdyweeker
05-Jul-08, 21:44

I agree with you here. I always looked forward to them as a child and feel it is the same for todays kids. Gala Week wouldn't be the same without them. Bonfire night is a fantastic atmosphere for all the family and the sideshows presence certainly helps keep young and old kiddies happy!!

TBH
05-Jul-08, 22:35
£1.50 for all rides apart from the dogems which are £2.That is hardly exhorbitant then. The people that own the shows have to make a living the same as anyone else but it seems that some people think they should forego making any kind of profit just to please the skinflints.

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 22:37
That is hardly exhorbitant then. The people that own the shows have to make a living the same as anyone else but it seems that some people think they should forego making any kind of profit just to please the skinflints.

Well maybe not to them and I suppose prices could be much higher but your £10 note will soon disappear in no time. They could at least let you on the ride for a bit longer to offer value for money.

martin macdonald
05-Jul-08, 22:39
sooner they get out of wick the better its the same rubbish year in year outits better than tesco [lol]mop

TBH
05-Jul-08, 22:42
Well maybe not to them and I suppose prices could be much higher but your £10 note will soon disappear in no time. They could at least let you on the ride for a bit longer to offer value for money.My post was not a critisism of you or an assumption of your feelings towards the side-shows. Your post showed the costs of having a night at the shows so was worth quoting.
How long do they allow people on a ride for their £1.50 or £2?

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 22:47
My post was not a critisism of you or an assumption of your feelings towards the side-shows. Your post showed the costs of having a night at the shows so was worth quoting.
How long do they allow people on a ride for their £1.50 or £2?

They are probably all around 5 minutes at a time for everything apart from the Rave cage which only feels like 3 minutes. Once you're on, it's not long before you're off again in no time it feels. Just when you begin to get into the fun of it, it stops.

TBH
05-Jul-08, 22:53
They are probably all around 5 minutes at a time for everything apart from the Rave cage which only feels like 3 minutes. Once you're on, it's not long before you're off again in no time it feels. Just when you begin to get into the fun of it, it stops.Considering that people have always said, year after year, that they are too dear, do you agree with this or do you think that the current fuel crisis has made them increase their prices through less time on the rides?

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 23:07
Considering that people have always said, year after year, that they are too dear, do you afree with this or do you thinks that the current fuel crisis has made them increase their prices through less time on the rides?

Well, when I was younger, all the rides used to be 50p when they had the crazy dancer, the umbrellas, etc.. this was a fine price to pay especially with the number of people on the rides.

Now, at £1.50 / £2, which it has been for the past few years, even before the fuel crisis, it's getting to the point where, if they increase the prices anymore, people are going to end up broke. I'm sure they could apply different charges for different rides so you're basically paying for your time on the rides. £1 for 5 minutes would be fine which means you would pay £2 and get 2 minutes on the ride which is just fine. I don't think anyone would have any problem paying £2 if they got a decent lenght of time on the rides. I suppose so, now with the dramatically increased fuel charges, they will have to charge more for fuel as most their rides are powered by petrol.

Another thing which I complained about last year was the number of people who smoke at the sideshows. This is a mixture of people attending the sideshows but worse still, I have seen the sideshows staff smoking- even a young girl who was operating the rides for the younger ones. Now, for one, it is unhygenic, especially when around lots of young children but it is also dangerous to light up a cigarette while around vehicles and rides which are powered by petrol which could easily catch fire if there was any petrol leaking.

TBH
05-Jul-08, 23:20
Is there no legislation stopping people from smoking on these rides? It would be strange if there wasn't?
Your idea for pricing the rides seems quite reasonable as a better price structure would surely attract more people to the shows.
There was a person from the shows that has commented on the thread about the shows in Thurso, maybe they would like to comment on their price structure.

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 23:25
Is there no legislation stopping people from smoking on these rides? It would be strange if there wasn't?
Your idea for pricing the rides seems quite reasonable as a better price structure would surely attract more people to the shows.
There was a person from the shows that has commented on the thread about the shows in Thurso, maybe they would like to comment on their price structure.

To be honest, I don't think they do have a price structure. I think it's up to the person operating the ride how long people get on for. Usually, you'll find that they stop the ride early if people are waiting to get on but I don't think this should happen as people are paying the full price to get, what should be an allocated time.

I'm sure it's illegal to smoke in enclosed public spaces, including bus shelters and crowded areas (the sideshows) I'm not sure though. I had to dodge in and out people yesterday who were smoking.

TBH
05-Jul-08, 23:38
To be honest, I don't think they do have a price structure. I think it's up to the person operating the ride how long people get on for. Usually, you'll find that they stop the ride early if people are waiting to get on but I don't think this should happen as people are paying the full price to get, what should be an allocated time.

I'm sure it's illegal to smoke in enclosed public spaces, including bus shelters and crowded areas (the sideshows) I'm not sure though. I had to dodge in and out people yesterday who were smoking.Well I would say that if you have paid an agreed price for an agreed length of time then there would be something illegal, surely, about stopping the ride early to let others on.
As for smoking in an area that is used to serve the public, whether then that is surely illegal to.

Aaldtimer
06-Jul-08, 02:50
rfr10...."£1 for 5 minutes would be fine which means you would pay £2 and get 2 minutes on the ride which is just fine. "...
I'm still trying to work that one out! Can you elaborate?
Just asking!:)

rfr10
06-Jul-08, 11:47
rfr10...."£1 for 5 minutes would be fine which means you would pay £2 and get 2 minutes on the ride which is just fine. "...
I'm still trying to work that one out! Can you elaborate?
Just asking!:)

Whoopss! Sorry, meant to say £2 and get 10 minutes. It was too late at night for me when I typed that :Razz.

WickLad08
06-Jul-08, 16:04
You can smoke in the precinct so what is the difference with the sideshows? Its open air and no law against it!

MadPict
06-Jul-08, 16:35
Couldn't keep away from the dogems myself. They do need more rides but the ones that are there are good fun. Bit too expensive though.

Obviously you were assessing the dodgems in your capacity as the HYV Transport Convener.....

rfr10
06-Jul-08, 17:32
You can smoke in the precinct so what is the difference with the sideshows? Its open air and no law against it!

The difference is that you are in a crowded area and apparently, it's up to our local authority whether on not this is illegal in outside space, however, it's not the fact that it's legal/ illegal, people should have some consideraton when around crowds of people, especially when near children. It's also very dangerous to light up where petrol spillages may be present.

rfr10
06-Jul-08, 17:34
Obviously you were assessing the dodgems in your capacity as the HYV Transport Convener.....

Yes, some very dangerous dirvers there I must say, think they need to re-sit their test and avoid purpously running to walls and other drivers in the future. ;)