PDA

View Full Version : Reputation

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 19:48
Could someone explain please, how does the reputation points work. Is seven points better than say three points or is it the other way around? Also you can see your reputation but how do you know if its good or bad unless the person has added a comment?

Niall Fernie
04-Dec-05, 10:43
The higher the number the better the reputation.

Only users with a high enough reputation (30 points I think, new members start on 10) can affect someone else's reputation. Initially this is only by 1 point but as a person's own reputation gets better so their number of points for allocations increases. Long-time members may have additional points based on the length of time they have been a member.

Mr P Cannop
04-Dec-05, 10:46
does that mean i will get reputation ??

Niall Fernie
04-Dec-05, 10:49
If someone adds or removes points for you Paul, yes you will.

concerned resident
04-Dec-05, 12:01
I just checked my reputation, and i am -24 as unknown persons have put me down as a moaner as i disagreed with there views, and other threads where i have given my own opinion, so you have no choice but be found guilty. I have never even noticed this stupid section, so beware if i do not agree with you, i will distroy your reputation, if i could be so petty.

concerned resident
04-Dec-05, 12:42
Latest Reputation Received
Thread Date Comment
Are you getting thurso d... 29-11-2005 07:53 AM what a moaner you are
Apathy over Dounreay Gui... 18-11-2005 09:40 AM Usual cheeky post
Apathy over Dounreay Gui... 17-11-2005 02:42 PM Moan moan moan, but do nothing, as usual
Would you support a new ... 02-11-2005 03:03 PM Dreadful! The usual rubbish from concerned resident

Above i have copied my Reputation to above, i find the one dated the 17 -11-2005
Quote: Moan Moan Moan, But do nothing as usual, I was one of the two people who attended the Thurso meeting. This Reputation section is open to missuse, as the member has no defence against other members comments, or make the member name themselves. Would like to suggest the moderator should consider removing Reputation
Section from Caithness org.

Naefearjustbeer
04-Dec-05, 13:43
I have received positive and negative feedback It wont cause me to lose any sleep at night if people disagree with my views and I don't walk around grinning when I get a positive comment. If you are receiving negative feedback you can either worry about it or not. Don't take it personally I don't. If you post something contentious you can expect to get comments the middle of the road posters probably don't get many reputation points

DrSzin
04-Dec-05, 17:25
I just checked my reputation, and i am -24 as unknown persons have put me down as a moaner as i disagreed with there views, and other threads where i have given my own opinion, so you have no choice but be found guilty. I have never even noticed this stupid section, so beware if i do not agree with you, i will distroy your reputation, if i could be so petty.Read Naefearjustbeer's post, take heed, and above all...

Stop moaning! :rolleyes:

fed-ex
04-Dec-05, 17:31
I still dont know how to tell if the reputation is good or bad unless the person leaves a comment.........

Niall Fernie
04-Dec-05, 23:47
I think the comments you are seeing hold no numerical value as the user that posted them does not have a high enough reputation themselves to change anyone else's. Otherwise you should see the number next to the comment.

sweetheart
04-Dec-05, 23:53
Gosh, i've posted at least 12,000 posts across a dozen or so internet
BBS (Bulletin Board Systems), and i've never *Not* seen reputation abused
for popularity voting like at teenager's school events.

I figure my reputation will only get worse, as populism can elect you a blair,
but will never be the roots of justice.

I wish i could turn off reputation, that i remain perpetually unrated, that
the other members politely refrain from pre-judging my work. I read each
post separately, and see no reputations. Good luck to 'em.

jac1791
04-Dec-05, 23:55
cant seem to find how you can check this out!!!

angela5
05-Dec-05, 00:14
cant seem to find how you can check this out!!!

ive just clicked on my user name and then user cp, it allows you to see your points and any bad rep you have been given.
Interesting ive been bad repped by the same person a few times.

bigjjuk
05-Dec-05, 09:16
and how do we find these point thingies????

fed-ex
05-Dec-05, 09:29
click on user cp. top left hand corner......

Niall Fernie
05-Dec-05, 11:05
If you still have a grey/blue reputation box instead of a red or green one then no one has left any rep marks for you yet and it will not appear in your User CP. The initial level of reputation for all users is 10.

jac1791
05-Dec-05, 12:35
why has my points gone down to 5 then, when only remark is to tell me where to find this??

Niall Fernie
05-Dec-05, 12:58
Actually it looks like your level has gone up to 5 from 0, I think that the old users from the old forum may have a different starting level from new users. I will check this out today.

Sporran
05-Dec-05, 16:55
ive just clicked on my user name and then user cp, it allows you to see your points and any bad rep you have been given.
Interesting ive been bad repped by the same person a few times.
I've just followed those instructions, and can't see my reputation points or any comments that way, and I'm wondering why not? :confused: I've clicked the scales icon on the top right hand corner of my posts, and a little window appears showing my points, but it doesn't display any comments from other posters.

lassieinfife
05-Dec-05, 19:42
I got bad brownie points:rolleyes: on 1/12/05 for a posting about xmas but I think the poster should have had a look at all the posts first before making comment , I also think that they should have to include their names, but other than that is this>>>>>>>> :D the face of someone who is bothered? There will always be someone who will disagree so why worry :confused: ...... be happy :)

angela5
05-Dec-05, 22:37
I've just followed those instructions, and can't see my reputation points or any comments that way, and I'm wondering why not? :confused: I've clicked the scales icon on the top right hand corner of my posts, and a little window appears showing my points, but it doesn't display any comments from other posters.

scales icon only gives you your points total, you need to click on your actual user name, this will give you a choice to click on your user cp scroll down and it will show you any posts you have been repped for, sometimes they leave a comment.

Naefearjustbeer
05-Dec-05, 23:00
Woo Hoo I just got a green rep point, first one for a wee while now LOL! What am I doing wrong someone on here must think I talk sense occasionally ;) ;)

I noticed some red and blue ones as well. Now the red and green are obvious but how do you get a blue one? After all there is only 2 choices, to approve or disapprove when you give reputation points

fed-ex
05-Dec-05, 23:04
Woo Hoo I just got a green rep point, first one for a wee while now LOL! What am I doing wrong someone on here must think I talk sense occasionally ;) ;)

I noticed some red and blue ones as well. Now the red and green are obvious but how do you get a blue one? After all there is only 2 choices, to approve or disapprove when you give reputation pointsOh so greens good then. Thats what i've been wanting to know since i started this thread.........thanks

angela5
05-Dec-05, 23:04

getting a green rep is great one particular person seems to red rep me on each opinion i give back to them, how very droll. there is some nice people around caithness.org though.

Rheghead
05-Dec-05, 23:13
As far as I can make out, if the rep you get is accompanied with a green box then the person that gave you that has a green box, it doesn't give any inkling if the rep was good or bad unless a comment is left.

I think you should be looking for a culprit who has a red box...

angela5
05-Dec-05, 23:17
As far as I can make out, if the rep you get is accompanied with a green box then the person that gave you that has a green box, it doesn't give any inkling if the rep was good or bad unless a comment is left.

I think you should be looking for a culprit who has a red box...

I knew who the culprit:rolleyes: was before even you telling me that, thanks anyway rheghead.

Dons_Lad
06-Dec-05, 14:18
How come we cannae see who's been giving us rep so we can give it back to them? Got repped by a few Aberdeen fans and dunno who they wur.

fed-ex
07-Dec-05, 22:14
So do you have to be a trusted member to report a bad post then?

krieve
07-Dec-05, 22:56
Is it better to have a green or blue square.

Niall Fernie
08-Dec-05, 11:45
Fed-ex, anyone can report a post.

krieve, green is good, red is bad, blue is neutral.

Dons Lad, you cannot see the person who left comments for exactly that reason. If they dont have enough reputation themselves it will not affect yours.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 13:20
Caithness folk, eh? Still worrying about what people think of them. Pay no heed.

lizzie
11-Dec-05, 23:09
Caithness folk, eh? Still worrying about what people think of them. Pay no heed.

I'd pay no heed to the rep nonsense there's always a few who will disagree with your opinion.

I noticed tonight some-one went from being on a green card to a red card and back again to green all in the space of 20 minutes!!

what's that all about i thought i was beginning to understand all this now i'm confused again:confused: .

but i still take it it's only the trusted members who can affect your coloured cards?

fed-ex
11-Dec-05, 23:12
Is green better than blue. Im still confused....

lizzie
11-Dec-05, 23:19
Is green better than blue. Im still confused....

A few posts back on this thread it says if your on a blue card then no-one has left any rep, gosh you must be good to be on one of these.

green then there is a few who have repped you.

red then you must of upset a few folk with your opinions i've noticed in this last few days there is a few on red, i'd say a few are taking advantage of this reputation boxes.

fed-ex
11-Dec-05, 23:32
This still dosnt make much sense. if you start off on blue, ok. then what would you go to if people only good repped you. your only explaining what happens when you get bad rep. so is being on blue better behavior than being on green..

lizzie
11-Dec-05, 23:37
This still dosnt make much sense. if you start off on blue, ok. then what would you go to if people only good repped you. your only explaining what happens when you get bad rep. so is being on blue better behavior than being on green..

Everyone seems to start on blue as you are then an unknown quanity no reps have been left.

Green you are on a distinguised road then reps have been left on you i'm unsure if these are good or bad.

Maybe someone else can clear this up.

angela5
11-Dec-05, 23:43
Everyone seems to start on blue as you are then an unknown quanity no reps have been left.

Green you are on a distinguised road then reps have been left on you i'm unsure if these are good or bad.

Maybe someone else can clear this up.

Well red is certainly you've had a shamefull past, like me.
lmao.

Niall Fernie
12-Dec-05, 12:04
OK i'll try really big letters to see if it makes it any clearer:

green is good (http://www.answers.com/good),
red is bad (http://www.answers.com/bad),
blue is neutral (http://www.answers.com/neutral).

wicker
12-Dec-05, 12:57
Why am i showing red, something bout bad behaviour in past???? this is untrue

cullbucket
12-Dec-05, 13:11
I think its because:

Green - More caithness.org people agree with what you say than disagree
Red - More caithness.org people disagree with what you say than agree
Blue - Nobody cares what you say

So you may be red just because people disagree with your opinion, doesnt mean you were bad, maybe just contentious. Similarly you could be green after spouting racist or offensive rubbish if enough people make the effort to add to your rep.....

Dont take it too seriously.....

abalone
12-Dec-05, 23:14
Can't think why I'm green.I'm neither good,bad or indifferent

porshiepoo
12-Dec-05, 23:22
Can't think why I'm green.I'm neither good,bad or indifferent

Cos you've been a good boy / girl! :D :D

Astra
12-Dec-05, 23:29
Cos you've been a good boy / girl! :D :D
Just like you

porshiepoo
12-Dec-05, 23:37
Just like you

Would I ever be anything else! :D :D

Astra
15-Dec-05, 20:54
I see some people dont like me wonder who they could be .

fed-ex
15-Dec-05, 21:41
I like you Astra. Its good to see some-one with simillar views to myself and a sense of humor.........

krieve
15-Dec-05, 22:19
awwwww poor astra i like you.

fed-ex
15-Dec-05, 23:05
would you believe it, I've been bad repped for saying I like Astra. MMmm I wonder who that could be, talk about petty.........

abalone
15-Dec-05, 23:52
I've been given bad rep for a thread I started. I obviously rattled someones cage.:confused:

ben1234
16-Dec-05, 17:50
I like you Astra. Its good to see some-one with simillar views to myself and a sense of humor.........I like Astra too....OOPS i'll likely get a ban now too.

Lianachan
19-Dec-05, 18:12
In all my years of participating in forums on the internet, and that's a lot of years, I have never seen anything like this ratings system actually used. I've been involved in discussions where decisions about use/non-use of such systems have been made, and my opinion of them now is the same as it's always been. They are utterly pointless, useless and the potential cause of quite unneccessary ill-feeling. They are contrary to the entire concept of being part of an online community in the first place.

**EDITED IN - Whoever the anonymous genius is who, inevitably, gave me negative feedback as a result of this - congratulations! You have proved my point.

Rheghead
19-Dec-05, 18:50
Trust me Lianachan it wasn't me, I only bad rep someone if the post is abusive or overly bigotted.

I have a different opinion on reputation though, already I have seen the ripples of its effect on the quality of postings on this website. All for the better I might add.:)

jjc
19-Dec-05, 19:45
Trust me Lianachan it wasn't me Nor me...

I have a different opinion on reputation though, already I have seen the ripples of its effect on the quality of postings on this website. All for the better I might add. I agree. For example, some nameless wonder has just called me a 'dork' for this (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=42353#post42353). After such a well worded and intelligent comment you can be sure that I shall be thinking long and hard about my style of posting… :rolleyes:

**EDIT - and as if the first comment wasn't enough, the person who has just left feedback for this post saying "*** YOU ARE A DORK ***" has definitely convinced me. I have seen the error of my ways and I repent.

Lianachan
19-Dec-05, 19:50
After such a well worded and intelligent comment you can be sure that I shall be thinking long and hard about my style of posting… :rolleyes:

That's exactly my point - such a comment, although obviously witty and intelligent, is pointless and cowardly. I'm sure it's making as much an impact on you as the identical one I received is on me. If somebody disagrees with your opinion or something they've said, they should discuss it with you if it's something they feel bothered about enough to anonymously snipe.

jjc
19-Dec-05, 19:58
Dork eh? was this nameless wonder far from the truth?????? Consensus of opinion would say that no, they probably weren't... and yet strangely I don't seem to care.

fed-ex
19-Dec-05, 20:18
HuH I was bad repped for asking if santa had to be registered or not....
How pathetic is that?

Lianachan
19-Dec-05, 20:21
HuH I was bad repped for asking if santa had to be registered or not....
How pathetic is that?

I would suggest that tends to back up my claim that the whole thing is pointless!

fed-ex
19-Dec-05, 20:26
I would suggest that tends to back up my claim that the whole thing is pointless!I think it just causes a lot of bad feeling...
Whats the point of trying to post anything sensible when theres some-one there just waiting to boot you back down..Im at the stage now where Im actually finding the comments left for me quite funny..

Rheghead
19-Dec-05, 21:07
**EDIT - and as if the first comment wasn't enough, the person who has just left feedback for this post saying "*** YOU ARE A DORK ***" has definitely convinced me. I have seen the error of my ways and I repent.

Well at the very least they are keeping it off the open forum for a change. I also got that treatment so I am thinking at least they are leaving someone else alone while they are giving me bad rep :) It is funny that the only bad rep that I get is from fowkies that haven't enough pts to affect my standing. There is a measure of justice in that I suppose.

lassieinfife
19-Dec-05, 23:22
Why worry what your reputation is in the forum?someone will always disagree with you and vote black if you said white. I would worry more if it affected my day to day life.Can i ask the person who put "long spoooooooons" in my rep please explain comment... all to do with fifers and the devil no doubt ,but had they taken the time to read my profile they would have read that I'm not a Fifer I just live here:p

jjc
20-Dec-05, 01:34
Okay, so what are the rules about swearing in the reputation text? If somebody uses language that would be unacceptable in a regular post is that okay because it is one-to-one? If not, what does one do about it when they get such feedback?

angela5
20-Dec-05, 01:37
i would like to know that my feedback in my rep box is somewhat disgusting! for posting my views on santa.:eek:

Lianachan
20-Dec-05, 01:39
Okay, so what are the rules about swearing in the reputation text? If somebody uses language that would be unacceptable in a regular post is that okay because it is one-to-one? If not, what does one do about it when they get such feedback?

Another reason why I think the things should never be implemented. If you can't enforce your rules uniformly against the entire forum......

Niall Fernie
20-Dec-05, 17:26
jjc, report anything like that to me and I'll apply the same rules as posting.

In private messages and now these reputation comments, how they are moderated is entirely up to the person receiving the message, if you dont mind swearing in the comment/PM, fine, if not then the same rules as the rest of the forum can be applied.

Admins can see the comments left in the reputation system and who left them, however, we cannot read PMs so you will have to quote it in a PM to us for further investigation.