PDA

View Full Version : Farming Question

wifie
23-Jun-08, 03:09
Maybe a longshot but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this white membrane that is used all over this area. I wonder if it is biodegradable as it seems to disappear as the plants grow. I suppose that it is used to promote growth and prolong the growing season of the crop.

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/714/abernethywalkjune08004va5.jpg

wifie
23-Jun-08, 03:11
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8765/abernethywalkjune08005ih4.jpg

nawthun
26-Jun-08, 16:33
Maybe this is for a game of pick-up stix for really BIG guys?
(just a thought):confused

lol

the_count
26-Jun-08, 17:43
first time i saw this stuff i thought it had snowed lol :lol:

wifie
26-Jun-08, 22:50
Hey count that is what it looks like from my house sometimes - often do a double take - is quite irritating - LOL!

Average
26-Jun-08, 23:44
Are those images from the A90 between Perth and Dundee?

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-08, 23:57
There are many different types ,but much the same reason to warm the soil and promote an earlier crop. A freind of mine used to grow his carrots under a fleece that allowed rain to go through it but kept the carrot fly away, and it warmed the soil a few degees.
It does tend to grab your attention.

wifie
02-Jan-09, 06:03
Been lookin at old threads and yes average that is where the pics are from and TY Kevin for the info!

arana negra
02-Jan-09, 10:07
If it is plastic not fleece they have complete seas of the stuff here ! they grow the strawberries under it for most the year and some other crops. It looks like lakes from angle/distance. Not sure if the plastic is biodegradable it may be sent for incineration here.

wifie
02-Jan-09, 15:05
There are poly-tunnels used to grow soft fruit here too but this is stuff on the ground AN. Canna believe they need to grown stuff under plastic in the climate you must enjoy! :confused

Bruce_H
02-Jan-09, 16:23
It is employed on a massive scale here in California. Mostly to retain moisture in the soil during certain parts of the growing season. In days past I used to refer to certain fields as the "place where they grow strawberries pre-wrapped".