PDA

View Full Version : Swearing

krieve
03-Dec-05, 15:04
I notice some members have been band i take it for swearing.I was reading the posts last night i see now that astra has been band for putting ##### so why is it when i looked through the ghost thread i see that paris put s**t and nothing has happened to her yet. I take it that it is 1 rule for some and another rule for others.

golach
03-Dec-05, 15:31
This is a quote from the web rules hope this explains it

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

Niall Fernie
03-Dec-05, 16:07
OK this is a one off in that krieve should be receiving the same suspension (1 month) that both paris and astra now have.

I'm not sure about Colin, but I am only human, I read through every new post made on this site every time I look in. Having just, about 2 minutes ago, read paris's post, she has now received her suspension. I simply do not have the time to read every post as soon as it is made. I generally read the forums in the morning, sometimes at night. As soon as I see something that has to be removed or moderated in some way, I do it. I do not always spot every infringement of the rules on the first pass on a new thread but it wil come to my attention.

Posting words with asterisks (or other characters) replacing some letters is referred to as word masking, we feel that this type of swearing is more premeditated than normal swearing as the person has obviously realised that swearing is not allowed and attempted to cover it up.

Posts that have ####### in them have already had the swearwords removed by the forum system and these posts also result in suspension.

There never has and never will be a situation where one person does not have the swearing rule applied in the same way as everyone else.

The "report post" button has been red hot since we installed the new system and I hope this continues, this allows us to pinpoint a breach in the rules on a first visit to the site rather than relying on us to spot it amongst all the other posts. Its certainly helped with the spate of idiotic postings we've had recently.

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 19:09
I also notice Porshepoo has a post in the OMG thread with the words masked. I wonder why she hasn't been suspended.........

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 19:15
Porshiepoo's one is still on there if you want to have a look. Surely this should have led to a suspension.......

crayola
03-Dec-05, 19:16
I also notice Porshepoo has a post in the OMG thread with the words masked. I wonder why she hasn't been suspended.........The word she masked isn't a swear word. She was just being polite, as always. :rolleyes:

Yeah well, maybe not exactly polite, but you know what I'm saying, and I know that you know.

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 19:21
The word she masked isn't a swear word. She was just being polite, as always. :rolleyes:

Yeah well, maybe not exactly polite, but you know what I'm saying, and I know that you know.Oh so when she masks swearing its ok then because shes just being polite.......... so are you saying that it is one rule for one and a different rule for others. That dosn't seem very fair....

mr bean
03-Dec-05, 19:27
Well spotted i was thinking that myself

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 19:30
Oh well........im glad im not the only one to notice..She knows that i know that she knows.......thats what she rekons anyway!!!!!

marion
03-Dec-05, 19:31
The word she masked isn't a swear word. She was just being polite, as always. :rolleyes:

Yeah well, maybe not exactly polite, but you know what I'm saying, and I know that you know.

This forum does get interesting. Niall Fernie performs a difficult job monitoring the postings. He not only monitors 'swear' words but also off-color words. I have found that for myself.

Naefearjustbeer
03-Dec-05, 19:39
I masked an entire word with symbols and recieved a warning in the past. It was not an obvios cover up of a swearword but a name, I recieved a warning for it

angela5
03-Dec-05, 21:49
But isnt crayola and porshiepoo the same person anyway? just my initial thought.and the fact they are never logged in at same time.hhhhhhmmmmmmm

glad to see others have spotted that.

The posting made on OMG is certainly in no way polite, for masking that word- to follow should be a ban just the same as others have had.
if it's a polite word why mask it?
A load of old pooh!!!

mr bean
03-Dec-05, 22:07
Hi there i was just looking through the post on OMG and spotted that bill ferine as removed posheipoos swearing word from that theard and why has'nt she been suspended like astra and paris. It seems that it,s one rule for one and another rule for others .

angela5
03-Dec-05, 22:11
I noticed the posting on OMG thread that porshiepoo made masking a very unpolite word.
Tonight i noticed the word has gone and been replaced???
no ban either!!! i'm confused as the rules are clear when you register, if i mask the same word is that okay then?
i think not:confused:

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 22:14
So whos to say Astra wasn't just being polite too.........??

Rheghead
03-Dec-05, 22:58
I'm afraid that moderating a forum is not affected by popular opinion, if it was then it would be a nightmare to execute, that said, if you are in any doubt about any word then just don't use it. If you don't like the restrictions on filthy language then go to the other forums that have set up recently and take the language with you.

I notice over there that it is not much fun in swearing when you are allowed...

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 23:07
I don't really think that its the restrictions that anybodys bothered about. Its stated in the rules whats allowed and whats not. If I was to mask words I would expect to get a ban. I would like to know why its ok then for others to get away with this........?

Chillie
03-Dec-05, 23:15
I also notice Porshepoo has a post in the OMG thread with the words masked. I wonder why she hasn't been suspended.........

I agree every second word (before editing)was a masked swear word's between paris and porshepoo (who i also think mask's herself as crayola). Two words.. Double Standards.

lizzie
03-Dec-05, 23:48
Not a lot of happy people in this thread, if porshiepoo masked a swear word (which i can see has been edited)
then she like so many others should face the consequence.

peddomcgrory
03-Dec-05, 23:50
Not a lot of happy people in this thread, if porshiepoo masked a swear word (which i can see has been edited)
then she like so many others should face the consequence.aye like me,,,every bloody night

twee_dledee
03-Dec-05, 23:51
Mmm i've read it too and this just dosnt seem fair on everyone else. How can she possibly get away with saying she was being polite. I know someoe who had the whole word masked and got a lifetime ban.

Naefearjustbeer
04-Dec-05, 00:15
The owners of the website have made the rules and they and the appointed admins enforce them as they see fit. Even if it does not appear to be fair.
I have been threatened with a lifetime ban in the dim and distant past for questioning how this site is moderated. I will say no more as I don't want to face the wrath again.

Also I noticed that blaspheming seems to be quite acceptable here surely if the are going to be strict about things that should be edited out as well

porshiepoo
04-Dec-05, 00:52
Such sad, sad people! First I'm AiryFairy and possibly Paris and now I'm Crayola too. Well, If you all have nothing better to do with your time than log onto here to see who has logged in at the same time and who agrees with me (so therefore must be me) then thats pathetically sad.
Whats worse is the 'But she said it too, thats not fair'.
Grow up girls and boys and perhaps try enjoying chatting on here rather than looking to see who Porshiepoo is going to alias as next. If you think I'm Crayola that's your lookout, like many of you have pointed out to me in the past, it's easy enough to find out.
So grow up and shut up. Please!

angela5
04-Dec-05, 04:00
:confused: is it okay to tell people to shut up then?

Niall Fernie
04-Dec-05, 10:12
Well the complaints are about what I expected. Some people would rather complain publicly about the rules not being applied but none of these people have bothered to hit the "report this post" button at the time to point out where it is. From what I can remember the post by porshiepoo only had a word masked but it was not really a swearword that was masked so it didnt count.

As I've said, I am only human and I will miss the occasional infringement, thats what the report post button is for. http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/report.gif

porshiepoo
04-Dec-05, 11:29
:confused: is it okay to tell people to shut up then?

Not swearing is it!

mr bean
04-Dec-05, 21:38
Porshiepoo did mask a swear word we all seen it