PDA

View Full Version : tea cake

seasurfer52
19-Jun-08, 18:20
can you please help and supply me with the baking ingredients etc and i,ll do the rest,cheers look fwd to reading and then doing the deed baking it

emb123
19-Jun-08, 20:04
I posted a favourite recipe some time back that is probably the sort of thing you are after, it even has tea in it!

It's an old traditional Welsh, Scottish & Irish recipe (but with different names) and I've even seen it available commercially in the big supermarkets as 'Yorkshire Tea Loaf'.

Real doddle to make, whether you use the south Welsh recipe which rises by self raising flour (i.e. baking soda) and keeps longer, or the Gog's recipe (North Wales) which uses yeast instead.

original post here:
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=19348

a bit of repetition...

Bara Brith

1 lb self-raising flour
1 lb mixed dried fruit
2 tablespoons warm marmalade
1 egg (beaten)
6 ounces brown sugar
1/2 pint warm strained tea
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice

Place the fruit, sugar and warm tea in a large bowl and soak overnight.

next day or approx 10 hours later:

Preheat the oven to 180 Celcius / 350 Fahrenheit
Beat the egg in a small bowl
Grease and flour a 3lb loaf tin or deep 8" cake tin
Sieve the flour and mixed spice, and warm the marmalade.
Add the flour, warm marmalade and egg to the soaked fruit.
Mix well but quickly as the mixture starts to rise immediately.
Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.

Bake for 80 to 90 minutes on 180 Celcius / 350 Fahrenheit (gas mark 4) (if set correctly it's usually about 90 mins)
(reduce heat by 20 Celcius if using fan assisted oven)

Cool on wire rack. (e.g. the rack in a grill pan)
Serve sliced with or without butter.

Original recipe called for 8oz of brown sugar but I find that way too sweet and it upsets my poor teeth!

I usually add about a dozen glace cherries to soak too. I like it better like that. I make the tea very weak as I really don't like tea very much, but it is normally made with a good strong tea.