PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for kids

kath
12-Jun-08, 13:11
Over the last six months my 3 year old has gone from a boy who used to eat anything put in front of him, into a boy who will eat next to nothing.[evil]

Do any of you guys have any healthy recipes I can try with him? Any advice really would be appreciated.:D

tigger2u
13-Jun-08, 15:23
I've had a few experiences with children from one end of the scale to the other and seen them runs rings around their mums at times.
I work in nursery and out of school care and seen some that will only eat the dreaded chicken nuggets etc (when mums around) then in the nursery we would tell mum at the end of the day Oh she/he ate soup, potatoes, sausage etc and only to be told back, nooo he/she doesn't eat them. How little we parents know of their minds eh lol
What we have done in the past is let them help with the choices and making of the food. Something they seen or heard can turn them against food. Let them enjoy the process and it can encourage them to experiment more with different tastes and as we all know, it depends on their moods lol.:lol:

Good luck

chaz
13-Jun-08, 21:54
I've had a few experiences with children from one end of the scale to the other and seen them runs rings around their mums at times.
I work in nursery and out of school care and seen some that will only eat the dreaded chicken nuggets etc (when mums around) then in the nursery we would tell mum at the end of the day Oh she/he ate soup, potatoes, sausage etc and only to be told back, nooo he/she doesn't eat them. How little we parents know of their minds eh lol
What we have done in the past is let them help with the choices and making of the food. Something they seen or heard can turn them against food. Let them enjoy the process and it can encourage them to experiment more with different tastes and as we all know, it depends on their moods lol.:lol:

Good luck
My kids all help with jobs in the kitchen and make choices over food,none of them have turned out fussy eaters,but they did go through some wierd stages.I total agree with the idea of them experimenting and learning the process.It has worked in our house , my 3 year old is involved with helping at most meal times and eats everything.Her favorite just now is venison, but she is very partial to peppers eaten like an apple.

dellwak
13-Jun-08, 22:29
I have often found that letting kids make their own bread works wonders.
Bread dough is not the same as pastry, you don't have to treat it gently. The kids can throw it around, punch it, even throw it on floor and stamp on it if the floor and their feet are clean.
If you then let them roll the dough out to a pizza base and put on the pizza what they want, you might be suprised at some of the choices they make.
Of course, you could also end up with a jelly baby and fish finger pizza.

rfr10
08-Jul-08, 17:46
I've just started viewing the recipes forum for the first time and noticed this thread. The one thing I would say to help your kids get pleanty of vegetables is to disguise it in food. Cook whatever vegetables you like, put them into a food processor until liquidised, mix the sauce into some beef mince and then pour on top of pasta and there we go- vitamins, iron, protein and carbohydrates all in the one meal.

Blondie
08-Jul-08, 20:02
Do you know RFR10, you are a very sensible boy!

skinnydog
09-Jul-08, 11:58
You could always try serving up some of the food he used to like and call it funny names relating to some of his favourite characters. You just need to be creative and use your imagination but it works. For example, fish fingers can be called crabby patties. Good luck!

ashaw1
09-Jul-08, 21:49
Over the last six months my 3 year old has gone from a boy who used to eat anything put in front of him, into a boy who will eat next to nothing.[evil]

Do any of you guys have any healthy recipes I can try with him? Any advice really would be appreciated.:D
Why not invite a friend round for tea, preferably a friend who likes a whole range of foods. It's surprising what they will eat when they see a friend eating it!

ks
12-Jul-08, 11:55

My 3 year old daughter is just the same, I find if she helps make it she is more likely to eat it, one of he favourites is salmon/tuna fishcakes.

We just mix a tin of tuna or samon to mashed tatties and season well, she can then push mixture into a scone/biscuit cutter to shape, dip in beaten egg and then seasoned breadcrumbs (twice) and bake in oven, you can freeze them as well!