PDA

View Full Version : Bedding plant info request

mccaugm
08-Jun-08, 19:14
I have just planted some bedding plants. How often do they need watering? Every day, every other day or when I remember?

gardeninginagale
08-Jun-08, 20:18
This is the ultimate unanswerable question. But I will attempt to answer it anyway. Water them thoroughly after you have planted them out, then wait and see what the weather brings.

When I say water them thoroughly, I really mean soak them. Not with the sprinkler on the watering can - take it off - use the spout and put the water where it does most good, around the roots.

If you give them a really good soaking around the roots after planting, you shouldn't need to water again ever, unless we have no rain for a month.

I am frequently asked about watering, particularly in a dry spell like we're having right now.

And my answer is always the same. DON'T! (Forgive me for shouting)

In a dry spell, all plants will do as nature intended. They will develop roots deeper into the groud to find moisture. If you sprinkle water on the surface, they will develop roots on the surface, and unless you are drenching twice a day, those roots will dry out and the plants will suffer. How many of us have time to drench our gardens twice a day?

The only way you can replicate real rain is to have a sprinkler going all night. If you cannot do that, don't water. You will do more harm than good.

I'm sorry, this is just one of my things. I see people with watering cans, with the best of intentions, destroying the plants they want to save, by sprinkling a can or two. Not only a waste of time and water, but totally counter-productive.

When planting out, whether flowers or veg, soak them in thoroughly. Then leave them alone. Plants will find their own moisture, and be better an stronger for it.

Please don't sprinkle water on the surface.

mccaugm
08-Jun-08, 20:29
Cool thanks....my mother would have kittens reading this, as she waters daily like an obsessive. I have already done as recommended, the heavy duty watering with the sprinkly thing taken off the watering can. So now I just leave em unless we have no rain for a few weeks. Great...saves me a load of hassle.