PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation Required - Dry Stone Wall

Lynseymac
03-Jun-08, 12:51
Can anyone recommend names and numbers of someone who can put up a dry stone wall round our garden? Must be reasonably priced.

Thanks in anticipation.

david
06-Jun-08, 20:48
Can anyone recommend names and numbers of someone who can put up a dry stone wall round our garden? Must be reasonably priced.

Thanks in anticipation.

I used to do this about 7 years ago. At that time the going rate was £25 per metre with the stone on top-around £10 ton then. You need approx 1 ton per metre. Hope this helps

gardeninginagale
08-Jun-08, 19:34
the going rate was £25 per metre with the stone on top-around £10 ton then. You need approx 1 ton per metre. Hope this helps

I mean no disrespect at all, David, but correct me if I'm wrong, that would be £25 per square metre (face), rather than per linear metre. Height of wall is obviously a factor.

Lynseymac, drystone walling is seriously expensive, and those few who do it are up to their eyes in work. (I should have taken that up as a career option!)

Two gardening clients of mine have had drystone walls built in recent times. One of the builders, I know, has more than enough work to keep him going until he retires. Not sure about the other, don't know who he is, but he did an excellent job.

PM me if you want me to ask my client who their waller was.

Aaldtimer
09-Jun-08, 16:17
You could try here:-
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=1957

david
09-Jun-08, 19:05
I mean no disrespect at all, David, but correct me if I'm wrong, that would be £25 per square metre (face), rather than per linear metre. Height of wall is obviously a factor.

Lynseymac, drystone walling is seriously expensive, and those few who do it are up to their eyes in work. (I should have taken that up as a career option!)

Two gardening clients of mine have had drystone walls built in recent times. One of the builders, I know, has more than enough work to keep him going until he retires. Not sure about the other, don't know who he is, but he did an excellent job.

PM me if you want me to ask my client who their waller was.

That was per linear metre based on standard wall height. If you fancied a bad back, with good stone you could manage about 5-7 metres in a very full day. I bet prices have gone up since then. Not easy to get natural face stone now. Plenty of cut face about, but IMO doesn't look half as good.

David

lesley_mac
10-Jun-08, 00:13
kevin miller in wick does dykes and cheap number07787989919 and he will do it soon he is done of a job on wed so get him b 4 he starts next 1