PDA

View Full Version : wayleave rules?

daviddd
28-Nov-05, 19:55
We are thinking of buying a derelect property with no electricity supply. the nearest overhead line pole (whereby we could get get a cable run from a step-down transformer)in 100m away across some unfenced moorland. Is the neighbouring landowner obliged to allow a cable run across his land or do we need to seek permission? Or does the electricity co. get this wayleave for us? Could this landowner stop us ever getting a supply - doesn't seem right somehow? The neighbouring land is just peatland and we would not be damaging anything by running a cable across....

EDDIE
28-Nov-05, 20:35
Well i think its more of a case of getting planning permission of the council the people around the area can contest against the proposals but at the end of the day if the council gives u planning permission then theres not a lot they can do about it.
I would imagine to get a electric and water and sewerage pipes to that building would cost a fortune depending on the distance
Me personnally i think the person that owns that that derelect property should obtain full planning permission for converting that property into a house and add the price of it onto the sale of the property.To buy the property the way its stands could give u a lot of problems if ure converting it in legal point of view.
Even if u own the land or property u still have to have planning permission if ure making changes because if u dont the council can come along an order u to take it down regardless whether its right or wrong

EDDIE
28-Nov-05, 20:44
it also might be worth looking into alternative methods of electric like,solar,wind or generators.Maybey with all the costs attached to getting electricity plumbed in you might be cheaper with alternative methods.

daviddd
28-Nov-05, 22:37
thanks Eddy, we have been quite deeply into the planning permission stuff, and it's mostly sorted, but it's just the uncertainty of not getting wayleave across private land that's putting us off. We don't think we'll manage without an electricity supply as solar is so expensive, we've just got to build a mains supply into our plans in the particular circumstances. Surely landowners can't hold up developments by being awkward? maybe they can?

Whitewater
29-Nov-05, 00:42
You can use small household windmill along with solar panels for power, dig a well for water and install a septic tank.

iain
29-Nov-05, 01:53
why don't you ask the owner of the land if you can cross it?

Chillie
29-Nov-05, 04:07
Can it not go over head on a pole or 2

neepnipper
29-Nov-05, 10:58
We were in the same situation, luckily the farmer gave us permission to cross his land but that was probably only because we had bought our land from him. Permission has to be gained from the land owner who can also impose a charge for the disruption to their land.

Alli
29-Nov-05, 11:10
You still require planning permission for a well and a septic tank. I think (not sure) there are grants available for solar power.
You do require written consent from a landowner to be able to cross his land either with electric cables or water pipes.