PDA

View Full Version : growing veg

weegie
01-Jun-08, 20:24
:confused i am planning to start growing fruit and veg as well as planting a colourful section with my daughter. but i dont have a clue where to start, what to plant. has anyone had success in growing veg and got some advice????

porshiepoo
02-Jun-08, 08:07
I've just started veg growing this year and having fun doing it. I have several crops of tatties outside alongside carrots, leeks and parsnips. I've got sweetcorn, toms, cucumbers, peppers and courgettes all growing well in the greenhouse and I have cauli, cabbage, more carrots, lettuce etc all ready to go out soon. I've also planted a Raspberry bush to replace the one I managed to kill. :(

As for advice, just sow whatever you want. It'll either survive, or not! That's my philosophy anyways.
It does take time however. I'm a very impatient gardener and if I don't see results within say a week then I chuck things away and start again, I've had to really train myself to leave things alone. Plus, growing in a greenhouse takes daily maintenance in itself.

Good luck with your new venture, you'll love it and be hooked before you know.

justine
02-Jun-08, 15:04
This is my second year of growing and we have all the veg coming up. leeks, onions,carrots,red cabbage,beans,cauliflowers, broccoli,potatoes, sweetcorn. and tayberry and blackberry bushes..
Here is a link that i used, to help me establish a good plot, hope this helps. Good luck and i hope you enjoy your food, tastes so much nicer freshly picked..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/grow_your_own/

gardeninginagale
04-Jun-08, 18:45
You are a wee bit late for this year, other than quickly-maturing veg like salad crops. When I say salads, don't just think lettuce. The quickest return is from rocket (the clue's in the name), but also sow radiccio, endive, cilantro, chervil, and any mixed salad leaves. Those mixed salad leaves packets are excellent if you are just staring out. They are cut-and-come-again, and you just take a few leaves when you need them, and leave the plant to produce more.

At this time of year, my best tip is to sow early varieties. It's a bit late for maincrops. Choose the varieties you would normally sow in March or April for the earliest crops. They are early only because they mature quickly, so if you sow now you will get a harvest later in the summer. Carrot "Early Nantes", for example, or any of the early turnips, or the early pea varieties.

Good luck!