PDA

View Full Version : Novice (Very Novice!)

freckles
28-May-08, 21:43
We haven't had our own house very long & have so far managed to cut the grass & plant pretty flowers in containers but not much else! We have a small patch of land at the side of our house which we would like to tidy up & maybe even actually make part of the garden but I have no idea how to go about it! It's basically part of a field all overgrown with weeds & what I think may be mulch grass? Do I need a rotovator & maybe some mulch after that? Can anyone advise how I get started taming the jungle?!

Thanks in advance.

gardeninginagale
28-May-08, 21:58
& what I think may be mulch grass? Do I need a rotovator & maybe some mulch after that? .

Would really like to know what you think Mulch is.

freckles
28-May-08, 22:05
Oops think I meant couch grass?! - told you I was a novice!

gardeninginagale
29-May-08, 19:22
Glad we got that sorted:lol:

The last thing you want to do is rotovate couch grass. It grows from rhizomes, underground stems - or roots, if you like. Every piece of rhizome will regrow, so if you chop them up with a rotovator, you get a milli0on more plants. You need to get rid of the couch before you cultivate. And this is where I have my organic dilemma, because the easiest option is to spray it with glyphosate (Round-Up). But if you don't want to use chemicals, try black plastic or old carpet. Cover the area and leave it for a whole growing season. The exclusion of light will kill the couch.

Good luck!