PDA

View Full Version : Please Help?

Chillie
27-Nov-05, 19:09
Fray Bentos Pies
I am nearly at the end of my tether, could somebody please help?
Any tips on how do you get these tins open, I have spent half an hour trying,
now my potatoes are burnt and i've still not got the tin open.

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 19:26
Im not trying to be rude but use ure tin opener if u have cheap tin opener u can get problems or ifs worn out .
if u have tried opening from the top of the lid it doesnt work then try opening it from the side at the top the problem.
Failing that robins chipshop is open lol

angela5
27-Nov-05, 19:31
Do Robins chip shop do fray bentos pies then? i have always found them impossible to open, and i don't have an old tinopener,

Chillie
27-Nov-05, 19:35
I have 3 different tin openers, 1 is even electric and still did not work.
i went to the coop and bought a new tin opener, no luck and i've ended up with a splinter in my finger, still no dinner arrrrgh!

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 19:38
the tin openers i use is the cheap old style metal type and i have no problems i have bought modern plastic style tin openers before and found them to be not as good as the old style openers.
Maybey u should ask santa for an electric can opener this year.lol

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 19:43
chille once u have tried openening the tin if does cut you might have to throw the tin away because the metal in the tin goes soft and out of shape and no matter how many times u try the can opener wont be able to grip the tin to open it

Astra
27-Nov-05, 19:53
Try using a 4inch grinder that always works for me .

Chillie
27-Nov-05, 20:45
any chance you could come around with that grinder? i'm starving.
Eddie i've no idea what your speaking about, i'm not throwing the tin out until i get the pie out. i am not going to give up now.

krieve
27-Nov-05, 21:45
any chance you could come around with that grinder? i'm starving.
Eddie i've no idea what your speaking about, i'm not throwing the tin out until i get the pie out. i am not going to give up now.
Did you get it open you must be starving.

catherine nicol
27-Nov-05, 21:50
Honestly, think yourself lucky because if I remember correctly the pies taste disgusting and repeat on you all night. Chuck the pie, it isn't worth getting het up for.

Big G
27-Nov-05, 23:46
Do those pies not come with a key thing that u turn round the side and the metal foil stuff rolls up and u lift the top of then?

Astra
28-Nov-05, 00:01
Do those pies not come with a key thing that u turn round the side and the metal foil stuff rolls up and u lift the top of then?
No your thinking of the corn beef that have the little key .

Astra
28-Nov-05, 00:05
[quote=Chillie]any chance you could come around with that grinder? i'm starving.Sorry i think ive run out of grinding blades as i used the on my own tins .

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 00:09
Do Robins chip shop do fray bentos pies then? i have always found them impossible to open, and i don't have an old tinopener,What time does that chip shop close. i've given up now the pies in the bin now

Fran
28-Nov-05, 01:50
i always use the old fashioned scissor type tin opener and have had no problems opening these tins....and i think these pies are delicious. they are only 99p and well worth it.

angela5
28-Nov-05, 01:53
What time does that chip shop close. i've given up now the pies in the bin now

that's a shame you must of been so mad, those pies are good, did you catch the chippy?

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 02:00
No i never got to the chippy, i thought right beans on toast put the toast in the toaster went into the cuboard no beans, i've had a rubbish night so i went to the bin and retrieved the pie (in the tin of course) and going to take it tomorrow to the blacksmiths get him to reweld the lid then take it back to shop, get my £1 back.
as i was ripped off by a penny because fran got her's for 99p.

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 02:58
No i never got to the chippy, i thought right beans on toast put the toast in the toaster went into the cuboard no beans, i've had a rubbish night so i went to the bin and retrieved the pie (in the tin of course) and going to take it tomorrow to the blacksmiths get him to reweld the lid then take it back to shop, get my £1 back.
as i was ripped off by a penny because fran got her's for 99p.

I like them to i use the emptys can as ear mufflers and mine are pretty well goosed so for all fray bentos lovers i'll take the empty ones as long as there clean

champagnebaby
28-Nov-05, 03:02
I wouldna eat a Fray Bentos pie if you paid me! They ARE disgusting especially considering you can get a decent pie out the butchers for a couple of pound.

I remeber tasting one once and the meat was horrible and fatty. Pastry was crap too.

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 03:26
I wouldna eat a Fray Bentos pie if you paid me! They ARE disgusting especially considering you can get a decent pie out the butchers for a couple of pound.

I remeber tasting one once and the meat was horrible and fatty. Pastry was crap too.

I'll share one with ye in a nice candle lit dinner one night but it'll no be champagne we'll be drinking it'll be Buck Fast as thats all fit for we taste buds lek at:rolleyes:

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 03:53
i always use the old fashioned scissor type tin opener and have had no problems opening these tins....and i think these pies are delicious. they are only 99p and well worth it.

Ta fran for that info we will have start a Fray Bentos apprecation society.

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 04:04
I'll share one with ye in a nice candle lit dinner one night but it'll no be champagne we'll be drinking it'll be Buck Fast as thats all fit for we taste buds lek at:rolleyes:

Well said dumbo she probably lives on spam oot a lidles cos she canny afford buy our Fray Bentos wee all at champange or is the cheap stuff shes gussling.

Do ye really have big ears dont worry when astra gets her new grinder disks we'll have plenty o tins for yer big flappers is at all thats big what aboot the feet haha:eek:

paris
28-Nov-05, 11:25
I could always lend you our chain-saw !

twee_dledee
29-Nov-05, 00:31
I usually just use my teeth. but i've lost them now so i've got the same problem .

Whitewater
29-Nov-05, 00:38
Just use a big axe and chop it in two. No problem, it halves the pie at the same time, you can then save one half for breakfast, Yummy Yummy ????

Chillie
29-Nov-05, 03:57
Just to keep you updated i went to metal micky the smithy to get the lid welded( the little wee bit i did manage) to open up, he looked at me scratched his head "well i,ll give it a try" so he started, lit the torch put it to the tin then bang it blew a hole in it, out spat pastry and gravey all over his mask, we both jumped back in fright so i said to h--- with it lets go and have a dram to think whats next.
So im now in a worser predicament than yesterday still not given up yet i,ll sleep on this tonite.

Chillie
29-Nov-05, 04:50
Look like you lost your dinner and your 1p then, sue Fray Bentos for losses.

twee_dledee
29-Nov-05, 13:42
They're only a pound if you buy them on offer just now. I think they're about £1.38 each or two for £2. So have you still got the other one?

krieve
29-Nov-05, 21:44
Any luck yet in getting your dinner opened.

Julia
30-Nov-05, 12:01
You could just put the tin in the oven unopened, buy the time the tin explodes the pie will be hot killing two birds with one stone!

lassieinfife
30-Nov-05, 12:40
I have a spare one in cupboard i keep for emergencies .......... dont know how old it is suppose i had better check date lol

Chillie
30-Nov-05, 23:39
You could just put the tin in the oven unopened, buy the time the tin explodes the pie will be hot killing two birds with one stone!

since it was a 2 for 1 offer, i was going to try the other one tonight, just preparing for dinner under your advice
door bell rang, had unexpected visitors so i decided no fray brentos pie tonight as i did not wish to launch my visitors into outer space, via the oven.

hereboy
30-Nov-05, 23:55
I hope you do eventaully get that tin open and manage to clean out the contents - otherwise there will be a caravan somewhere without an ashtray....

angela5
01-Dec-05, 00:23
seeing as you had no luck getting your 2nd fray brentos pie
maybe it's an omen, why don't you try something else?

fed-ex
01-Dec-05, 00:27
Like beans, at least they have a ring pull and they are very tasty......... I highly recommend them....... good for you too...... a lot healthier than the pies too.......

Fran
01-Dec-05, 00:28
chillie, i couldnt sleep last night as i kept having nightmares about you struggling with your tinned pie and worried at all the weight you will be loosing , you'll be near to starvation by now!!!!!

Chillie
01-Dec-05, 02:15
Thanks Fran

It is very kind of you to be thinking of me.

I have only today instructed "probus" the tin opener manufactuer to make me a Diamond tipped tin opener at any cost.

I'll get my pie yet.

angela5
03-Dec-05, 02:52
:confused: whats the update then chillie do let us know.
Are you still around?

Chillie
03-Dec-05, 04:19
Just in geezer sorry still no update yet will post as soon as i hear

angela5
04-Dec-05, 04:08
:confused: What?? unbelievable!! you can't open a tin?
did you no get home economics at school.

fed-ex
04-Dec-05, 15:21
:confused: What?? unbelievable!! you can't open a tin?
did you no get home economics at school.Jessabell, this is no ordinary tin. Have you ever tried opening one of these tins?

Chillie
05-Dec-05, 02:44
Jessabell :- No i did not get all that girly stuff was not allowed to in those days, we had to take all the boys stuff, i wish now i had stuck into metal work more though ha ha.

Chillie
07-Dec-05, 03:46
Hi chillie been away for a few day what's the late'est wee e tin opener have ye got it yet.?:eek: