PDA

View Full Version : Petition to reduce fuel duty!

coppertop 1958
27-May-08, 23:32
Petition to reduce fuel duty! Please forward!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Lowerduty30/

Whitewater
27-May-08, 23:59
I have signed it, but I don't know if the petition will have any effect. Fuel prices are outwith government control. However, they have the power to reduce the tax, but can they afford it?

poppett
28-May-08, 09:25
Signed on too and hope someone takes notice.

In this world if you don`t ask, you don`t get.

emb123
28-May-08, 09:46
Signed it too.
It doesn't do any harm to ask although I think that given that probably half the problems in the UK are caused by the politicians being completely out of touch with the electorate and good chunk of the other half of the problems is due to politicians determination to ignore the clearly expressed will of the electorate, it probably won't do any good.

I think that continuous non-violent protest all over the UK by ever-increasing sectors of society is the only way the UK Government notice that they have a bit of a tricky situation that they probably ought to think about getting a commitee together to talk about.

Still worth signing your name to the petition if you feel that it is right though.

chaz
28-May-08, 10:38
Signed also, very true if you dont ask you dont get

brokencross
28-May-08, 10:45
I have signed.
What annoys me is the double tax aspect. Fuel is taxed then is taxed again with V.A.T.

Admittedly the world oil prices have gone up rapidly and that gets passed on to the pump price but our Government compounds that increase by adding the "environmental" tax and by taking the 17.5% tax on any increase.

Am also getting fed up with all the additional taxes which purport to "save the planet".

emb123
28-May-08, 11:05
[snip]Am also getting fed up with all the additional taxes which purport to "save the planet".
whilst I agree with everything you say, the last bit I really do feel strongly about too.

It's like the Co-Op being 'Good' with money advertising campaign. There is something a bit smug and self-righteous about it that really gets under my skin and just doesn't ring true to me.

These 'save the planet taxes' as you describe them grab me the same way. There seems to be something false and deceitful about them, like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

MadPict
28-May-08, 11:19
Any little bit we do to save the planet is wiped out in a millisecond by the up and coming industrial nations like China and India.

brokencross
28-May-08, 17:36
Any little bit we do to save the planet is wiped out in a millisecond by the up and coming industrial nations like China and India.

Couldn't agree more. Just heard a news item about this very point. Apparently fuel in these countries is subsidised so the man on the street is not feeling the pain of price increases as we are.

Rest assured though Mr Brown has made representations to their leaders. I can sleep tonight.

bekisman
28-May-08, 17:51
Signatures: 83,956 So far