PDA

View Full Version : Portable storage

mrsmo
26-May-08, 11:22
I am wanting to transfer all my music from my desktop to a portable storage device that I can then use with my laptop, with a usb connection, I dont want anything too bulky, smaller the better. I have looked at some on Ebay but they seem to be either for a desktop or a laptop? Can anyone please help? I reckon roughly about 20GB-30GB would be enough?
Second hand is ok.

blueivy
26-May-08, 12:18
I am wanting to transfer all my music from my desktop to a portable storage device that I can then use with my laptop, with a usb connection, I dont want anything too bulky, smaller the better. I have looked at some on Ebay but they seem to be either for a desktop or a laptop? Can anyone please help? I reckon roughly about 20GB-30GB would be enough?
Second hand is ok.

I think you might be confusing the size of hard drive inside the storage device with what it can be used with. What you'll find is that they are better suited to one or the other. You'll also find that they might have a 'laptop hard drive' (which is 2.5") or a 'desktop hard drive' (which is 3.5") but they can be used in either a desktop or a laptop.

If you are only wanting that size of space then I'd go for a 2.5" external USB hard drive. A 2.5" one is the size of a laptop hard drive and doesn't require any external power supply as it get's it's power from the USB port. All you then need to do is plug into the USB port and it should be recognised in Windows (or other OS).

A caveat about these hard drives though - because they take all of their power from the USB port some of them have two USB cables attached to them - if plugging one in doesn't give them enough power you will need to plug the other in too - both combined should give them enough power to operate.

As an example, here is the very first one I found on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-80GB-80-GB-2-5-EXTERNAL-HARD-DISK-DRIVE-USB-2-0_W0QQitemZ140235433081QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16178QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)and here is the search list (http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&catref=C6&from=R40&satitle=2.5%22+usb+hard+drive+-case+-adapter&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&a25710=-24&a31645=-24&a10244=-24&a31647=-24&a14=-24&alist=a25710%2Ca31645%2Ca31646%2Ca10244%2Ca31647%2 Ca14%2Ca3801&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=1580&pfid=1968&pf_query=2.5%22+usb+hard+drive+-case+-adapter&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=Postcode&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=) I put in to find it. The smallest you'll probably find is 40Gb and the most common around 80-120Gb.

mrsmo
26-May-08, 13:38
Oh thank you so much, that has cleared it up for me. I will defo have a look at these and its a good price. Aint the Org wonderful!!:D

blueivy
26-May-08, 13:49
Oh thank you so much, that has cleared it up for me. I will defo have a look at these and its a good price. Aint the Org wonderful!!:D

No problem. Glad I could help!

embow
26-May-08, 22:43
I bought one at 80Gb around a year ago. £ 30 odd inc p&p on eBay from Hong Kong. Comes with a small leather pouch and the USB cable with two connectors. Only ever needed to use one. The hard drive is divided into two sectors.
Best thing I ever purchased regarding computer storage. Fits in the shirt pocket a treat!

emb123
27-May-08, 00:58
As a thought, I'm a firm believer in the idea that you can never have too much hard disk space (unless the price is too high).

I noticed the other day that ebuyer as selling complete 500GB Western Digital branded USB 2.0 external hard drives for about £58 including VAT and free delivery.

They charge about £5.50 for delivery to the highlands but if you complain to customer services that this is something that can be sent by normal post for no more that it would cost to send to any other part of the UK mainland and that they are effectively surcharging for posting to outside of England and Wales they will probably offer to refund you the postage. (Doesn't hurt to try, I did. They did.)

If the money isn't a big problem then bang for buck, these big Western Digital drives sounds like quite a good deal. Food for thought maybe.