PDA

View Full Version : Coal Tar shampoo

Fluff
26-May-08, 11:00
Yuk what a horrid smell but I am hoping it works. My scalp is so itchy and flaky. drives me crazy!
Neutrogena have released a T-Gel version of the coal tar which smells slightly better but still not great.

Has anyone got any tips or success stories?

Mister Squiggle
26-May-08, 11:10
Hi Fluff, try Vosene (in a green bottle, you can buy it at Boots). It's got the same coal tar consistency, but smells a lot fresher, more citrus-based. Also, it's the only one that has worked on my daughter, in one go, whereas all the others seem to remove only some of the dry skin that gets lifted off the scalp.
Good luck!

Kevin Milkins
26-May-08, 11:47
Hi Fluff, try Vosene (in a green bottle, you can buy it at Boots). It's got the same coal tar consistency, but smells a lot fresher, more citrus-based. Also, it's the only one that has worked on my daughter, in one go, whereas all the others seem to remove only some of the dry skin that gets lifted off the scalp.
Good luck!

We always used Vosene for many years and always washed the kids hair with it.
We seemed to drift away to other brands for no paticuler reason and by chance picked a bottle up whilst on holiday.
It was like a trip down memory lane with the smell ,etc and we found it made us both itch.
We have tried it again at home since with the same result. How odd

lynne duncan
26-May-08, 12:52
i'm on the new t-gel at the moment and also started taking cod liver oil tabs, don't know if it is the combination of the two or maybe i'm not just as stressed as usual but my psoraiasis is not bothering me much at all, which makes a very pleasant change

dessie
26-May-08, 13:26
coal tar shampoo and coal tar soap thats what a lot of people used yrs ago and was very popular..so just get stuck in..

wifie
26-May-08, 15:05
OK I take it it is not dandruff we are talking here - cos if it was I would suggest Ginger anti-dandruff shampoo from the Body Shop. My husband tried it years ago after using loads of other harsh brands and it worked a treat. It smells lovely too!

Fluff
26-May-08, 15:34
No i don't think it is dandruff. I think it may be eczema but there is not really any red scaliness. When my oh shaves my head it is quite often a snowstorm it is that bad! it is the itchiness that is most annoying, but the flakes fall into my ears making them itchy too grr

Angela
26-May-08, 15:42
I'd recommend Dead Sea mineral shampoo, Fluff. :)

sassylass
26-May-08, 17:19
I'd recommend Dead Sea mineral shampoo, Fluff. :)

Do you mean the Swisa brand in the red bottle, or the one which also contains mud?

Angela
26-May-08, 17:31
Do you mean the Swisa brand in the red bottle, or the one which also contains mud?

I don't know about the mud sassylass :eek: but the one I meant is called Dead Sea Spa Magik and comes in a white/blue bottle.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. but I hadn't realised there was more than one variety!

warrior
26-May-08, 17:34
Try Capasal from the Chemist its available over the counter at about £8.

twiglet
26-May-08, 17:54
Sympathise, coal tar us not my fave, had to use it as a child and didn't work. I find t-gel is good and it also helps if you cut down on wheat intake and cut down on bread especialy (something to do with yeast). Good luck with your problem.

pirateeye
27-May-08, 13:53
not that this is relevant but i used coal tar shampoo for one of my dogs and it made her smell beautiful. really nice stuff it was. odd colour though but it was very good...then again it was for dogs.

neem oil might help...? or is that 'works for animals only' aswell?

:D

Fluff
27-May-08, 13:59
neem oil might help...? or is that 'works for animals only' aswell?

:D

well, i am fluffy lol

Thumper
27-May-08, 21:42
Hey Hun try Boots own brand of skincare,they do a dry scalp shampoo and its really good ,worked wonders for my pals psoriasis x

nightowl
28-May-08, 09:07
I've been using L'OREAL Elvive anti-dandruff with selenuim for ages now. There's a shampoo or two-in-one. Its frequent use so I use it every day. It's reminiscent of the Lenium shampoo of old days and been a great success so far. Plenty in Tesco and often on offer. Keep trying till you find something that suits you - even if it's for a wee while only. Such is life with psoriasis!
http://psoriasis-help.org.uk/
Great site
(http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1133505711)

Tristan
28-May-08, 09:31
Would Nizoral, or another anti-fungal, shampoo be worth trying?

scorrie
28-May-08, 12:39
If you want to try an Organic option then this may be worth a try:-

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/10-itch-away-shampoo-125ml.aspx

It does not contain Sodium Lauryl or Sodium Laureth Sulphates. Both of these are chemicals that act as foaming agents and they are irritants. They are used in car washes and even for degreasing car engines. The reason they are used in shampoos, detergents, toothpaste, cosmetics etc etc etc is because they are CHEAP.

Good luck with whatever you go with, it is a most annoying condition.

Fluff
30-May-08, 11:06
well, problem solved! I am allergic to the shampoo lol
My scalp has come out with a very painful, itchy red rash with spots.
I hate wasting my money :(