PDA

View Full Version : Mowats of Caithness

alanmo37
24-May-08, 10:34
my great grandfather neil mowat was born in banniskirk halkirk in 1854. he married margaret angus in 1880. they had 10 children, david b.1879...catherine b.1883...george b.1885...james b.1887(my grandfather)...wlliam d. b.1890...neil b.1892...mary b.1894...johanna b.1896...margaret b.1898...jessie b.1900. they lived in brabster st. at the turn of the century
i am, alan forbes mowat,i live in inverness,e-mail..alanmo37@yahoo.co.uk

trinkie
24-May-08, 10:59
Hallo Alan,

There were / are lots of Mowats around Lybster - do you have connections there?

The Book of Lybster by the Late Donald Young, mentions several Mowats in that area. Several of course left the county and I think a couple were eminent Medical men in the south.

If you have Lybster connections, let me have a couple of names and I will have a look in the book for you.

Best wishes,
Trinkie

alanmo37
24-May-08, 11:14
hi trinkie
i don't see any connections in lybster,thank you for your reply, i want to keep searching thurso area.
bye for now,
alan

Mamie_2
28-May-08, 03:25
1861 in Banniskirk with parents James and Mary and 8 siblings
1871 in Banniskirk with parents and 3 siblings
1881 at Rotterdam St in Thurso journeyman mason
1891 at Brabster St in Thurso with wife Margaret and 4 children, mason
1901 at Davidsons Lane in Thurso with wife Margaret and 9 children, mason

Mamie

alanmo37
04-Jun-08, 18:45
neil mowat is my greatgrandfather, his son james was my grandfather

domino
04-Jun-08, 22:24
Trinkie, do you happen to know if this book is still in print?Managed to get a copy of the play "The Widows of Clyth" and am happy to lend it out. if interested please pm me

trinkie
05-Jun-08, 06:54
Domino, The Book of Lybster by Donald Young is no longer in print . It's such a pity as it is a most wonderful book. I wonder if there is one in the library, for research purposes. Mr and Mrs Young both died recently.

I have the Widows of Clyth, thank you for your offer. I think it can be obtained on line now.
My connections with this book is through Thomas Sutherland 1830 - 1876 and his wife Helen Sinclair 1835-1916. Do you have connections here ? I have a bit of info on this. There will be a Thread here under Widows of Clyth with quite a lot of info - worth looking up.
I saw the Play in Edinburgh many years ago and was greatly moved - little knowing at the time, my folk were part of it.

Trinkie

trinkie
05-Jun-08, 07:05
Another excellent book I must mention is 'Voices in the Wind' by A. Budge. There are several Mowats there killed in the 1st World War.

This book can still be purchased and is worth buying.
It lists all of the Caithness men who died in that war, with many photos, letters and poems. It is extremely well done.

Good Luck
Trinkie

Oddquine
05-Jun-08, 10:57
Domino, The Book of Lybster by Donald Young is no longer in print . It's such a pity as it is a most wonderful book. I wonder if there is one in the library, for research purposes. Mr and Mrs Young both died recently.

The Book of Lybster is in Wick for reference and there is a copy available to borrow......at least there was a month or so ago.

momotion
18-Jun-08, 00:17
Hi Alan:

I connect to your 3rd g-grandparents, Donald Mowat and Catherine Matheson, via their son George, born 1822, who married Jean/Jane Sutherland in 1845 in Thurso at the Free Church, although they both lived in Castletown. I found George on the 1841 Census in Castletown living next to Jane's parents Henry Sutherland and Anne Flett, and George and Jane/Jean on the 1851 Census in Castletown.

You may contact me at momotion2000@hotmail.com.

Marilyn Mowat
Mission, British Columbia
Canada

Bruce_H
18-Jun-08, 05:17
Trinkie

That book "Voices in the Wind" sounds really interesting. I would love to know where I could get a look at a copy, specifically for information on Hendersons of Berriedale. Amazon stateside does not seem to have it, but I will be in Scotland come August. Think it is something that could be found with a bit of digging?

Thanks

Bruce H

trinkie
18-Jun-08, 13:07
Bruce, I'm sure you will be able to buy this book in any good book shop in Wick or Thurso.
the details are -

Voices in the Wind by Ally Budge
published by North of Scotland Newspapers
42, Union Street, Wick Caithness.

ISBN 1 871704 19 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can find details of the Thurso Bookseller on this site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D R Simpson,
Bookseller
High Street,
Wick
tele 603304

Trinkie

domino
18-Jun-08, 22:38
Trinkie
yes I am related to that Sutherlad