PDA

View Full Version : Desktop pc/Web cam

beelag2000
22-May-08, 19:20
Hi Clever IT types
Wonder if you can help me with a web cam problem.
I have a Logitech Quickcam that used to perform fine on my desktop pc.
Stopped working and gives message "computer cant see webcam device" although you can set up the sound levels on it.
It still works ok on my laptop and my sons laptop.
A second webcam tried on my pc behaves in the same way.
I have tried reloading software from both the disc and the internet several times but with the same result.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Beelag

Bobinovich
22-May-08, 21:25
As you're getting the sound part of it I'm going to hazzard a guess that the camera driver or associated registry settings are corrupted.

First thing is to go Start > Control Panel > System and click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button. Look down the list for any items with a yellow circle and black exclamation symbol next to them (especially any mentioning the camera!). Any you find then right click on them and choose Uninstall. Once done, restart the computer and the system should re-detect the devices, hopefully installing the driver software automatically, although you may be asked for the driver CD.

Try that and let us know if it solves the problem.

emb123
22-May-08, 21:32
Hi. What application is giving this error message ? It sounds like an error specific to the application that is having difficulty using the webcam. The use of a second webcam would seem to confirm this.

Is the second webcam a completely different type ? (preferable)

Btw, what operating system are you running ?

I guess you tried reloading the driver software but have you also wiped then re-installed the application which is giving the error message ?

If re-installing that app doesn't solve problem either then it's probably system specific video drivers rather than device specific. Possibly something weird going on with USB device drivers too (which is quite common).

Certainly doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the Quickcam.

Good luck!

p.s. hi Bobinovitch, just noticed your reply - your typing is certainly fast tonight - all the best, E. :)

beelag2000
22-May-08, 22:08
Hi guys
Thanks for the superquick reply.
I am running WinXP home edition ver 2002 service pack 2 in a AMD Athlon 64 proc 3000+.
Followed your suggestion, but when I click on "Device Manager" the egg timer flashes up for an instant and then nothing further happens. Have tried this several times but it still won't open.

In all my previous attempts I have uninstalled all the Logitech stuff including the drivers before reinstalling it.

The other webcam I tried was also a logitech quick cam but a different more recent model.

Beelag

beelag2000
22-May-08, 22:28
Also
The message is from:
All Programs>Logitech>Logitech QuickCam>QuickCapture - this gives message "A webcam was not found or is not working properly. Check to make sure the camera is properly plugged into the USB port and then press the reconnect button"
but
if I go from >Logitech QuickCam>ChangeSettings and click on the mic icon I can set up the microphone (which is in the webcam) volume.
Also the webcam led lights during set up but then extinguishes after the error message.

Hope this might give you a clue to what might be awry

beelag

Bobinovich
22-May-08, 22:49
Followed your suggestion, but when I click on "Device Manager" the egg timer flashes up for an instant and then nothing further happens. Have tried this several times but it still won't open.

I've not heard of this phenomenon - it could well indicate a problem with the hardware portion of the registry, or may be some malware/virus is causing that particular problem. However I'd bet my hat it's related to your cam problem.

In all my previous attempts I have uninstalled all the Logitech stuff including the drivers before reinstalling it.

The other webcam I tried was also a logitech quick cam but a different more recent model.

Uninstalling and reinstalling wouldn't necessarily resolve the problem if it's corrupt registry keys.

Installing another webcam should create new and totally seprate entries in the registry, but the fact that it was another Logitech Quick Cam you tried could well mean it's using the same corrupt registry keys as the first model.

Next option to try is to borrow a non-Logitech webcam and install that. If that solves the problem then it sounds like your registry may require a little editing to remove the corruption regarding the Logitech models - something which is definately best left in the hands of someone who knows their way around it.

beelag2000
23-May-08, 09:52
Bobinovich
Thanks, I will try and get a loan of a non Logitech webcam
Cheers
Beelag

davem
23-May-08, 10:03
If you have an eye toy you can download a driver which with a bit of jiggling makes a really good webcam if the kids aren't playing with it. (just in case you have one)

blueivy
23-May-08, 11:07

I think as Bobinovich said, this could be a virus. Have you run a virus / spyware scan ?

emb123
23-May-08, 11:22
I'm with Bobinovitch - sounds like some Registry problems and/or possibly corrupt /missing system files for some reason.

I've never heard of an instance of Device Manager failing to open on a healthy machine however it would seem that Microsoft have....

A quick google on 'device manager hang' came up with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319632
Device Manager Hangs After You Remove a USB Camera

and there is elsewhere a suggestion that a USB hub should not be used whilst trying to get to the bottom of this problem which is good advice.

Ideally I would personally be wanting to clear out all related keys from the Registry, deleting all the Logitech driver files from their various hidey-holes and starting afresh but that is a task safest done only by the cognisciente.

It seems MMC (Microsoft Management Console) corruption may be the problem. It's a bit tricky to track down a reinstall option for MMC for XP and this was the closest I found:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907265
MMC 3.0 update is available for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows XP

Does the machine otherwise run fine ?

Just noticed on previewing my comment, BlueIvy comments and I agree it's absolutely important to checking for any evidence of Virus/Malware which has 'done things' to the system files.

beelag2000
28-May-08, 08:59
emb123, Bobinovich & blue ivy

Hi guys, update;

Uninstalled Logitech,
Installed Technika from its original disc and connected Technika webcam.
It results in the same symtoms as the Logitech
ie - software is there, shows hardware as installed but when you try to use the webcam it says "camera is not connected or faulty"

I run free AVG, update and scan every day and I have upgraded to AVG 8 and done a complete scan.

I had a USB hub connected at one time but its not been connected now for some time.

The machine generally runs ok but occasionally it will freeze either on switch on or if it has been left idle for quite along time.

Would saving all my stuff onto my external hard drive, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling from scratch be a possible fix or is it likely that the damaged part would be retained?

"Device Manager" still will not open.

Cheers for your time and patience.

Beelag

emb123
28-May-08, 11:12
[snip]
Would saving all my stuff onto my external hard drive, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling from scratch be a possible fix or is it likely that the damaged part would be retained?
[snip]
If you back up everything you want to keep (elsewhere) and have all the re-installation software, Windows disk and serial, drivers etc, the know-how, the time and patience, then absolutely I believe that you will cure the problem.

You'll probably also find your PC runs so much quicker. If you can be bothered and you know how to do it, for a problem like this, a wipe and re-install is definitely the preferred course of action to my mind.

Have fun!!

blueivy
28-May-08, 12:58
emb123, Bobinovich & blue ivy

Hi guys, update;

Uninstalled Logitech,
Installed Technika from its original disc and connected Technika webcam.
It results in the same symtoms as the Logitech
ie - software is there, shows hardware as installed but when you try to use the webcam it says "camera is not connected or faulty"

I run free AVG, update and scan every day and I have upgraded to AVG 8 and done a complete scan.

I had a USB hub connected at one time but its not been connected now for some time.

The machine generally runs ok but occasionally it will freeze either on switch on or if it has been left idle for quite along time.

"Device Manager" still will not open.

Cheers for your time and patience.

Beelag

I'd try reinstalling Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 (whatever you are currently on) and see if that fixes it.

Bobinovich
28-May-08, 19:19
Backup, wipe & reinstall gets my vote - as well as almost certainly resolving your cam problem, you should find the PC running much slicker too.

blueivy
29-May-08, 09:29
I still stick with trying to re-run the Service Pack again (I see from an earlier post that you are actually on 2).

Download the Service Pack 2 from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en) (it's 266Mb).

It takes 10-15 minutes to download and about the same to install.

Worst case your PC still doesn't work and you can go ahead and wipe and reinstall. Best case it fixes it and you don't have to backup, wipe and reinstall.

Reinstalling the Service Pack has fixed weird errors for me in the past. I'm not saying it will fix yours, but it's half an hour out of your life to find out. Backup, wiping and reinstalling the OS, drivers and your applications will take you a minimum of 2 hours (depending on your backed up data, your machine and your applications).

beelag2000
14-Jun-08, 21:00
Hi Paul
Got the Service Pack download.
It kept on trying to bully me into installing SP3 but I stuck to my guns and downloaded/installed SP2 as that's what was already there but to no avail, device manager still hangs and the webcam doesn't work.
I will get my more pc savvy son to reinstall the original system disk sometime.
Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated.
Cheers
Billy

the_count
15-Jun-08, 02:51
know when the webcam WAS working you might wanna try the "restore" program in system tools in your accessories..... has got me out of a lot of "holes" lol hope ya get it sorted :D