PDA

View Full Version : Highland Schools Action Plan

rfr10
22-May-08, 09:25
Below is a copy of the Highland Schools Action Plan created by Highland Youth Voice- Schools Campaign Group at their April meeting in Inverness. It would be great to receive comments on the action plan which will be forwarded to the campaign group convener. If anyone has any comments on any of the issues raised or would like to raise their concerns about schools in the Highland region then that would be great. Just reply to this thread, PM me or email robin.falconer1@btinternet.com . Thanks.

Highland Youth Voice
Schools Campaign Group Meeting

19th April 2008

SCG Aim: to have young people involved in improving their schools

Schools - Issues and Actions

Issues
PSE no structure, not in S5/S6, not interesting, not up-to-date.

WORK EXPERIENCE not relevant, age restrictions, not often enough, ‘free labour.’

UNIFORM open to abuse, not enough choice of uniform.

EXAM STRUCTURE too much pressure, too much squeezed in, too big jumps, S2 boredom, not enough focus on non-academic subjects.

PUPIL COUNCILS ‘nothing ever acted on’ (only in one school), no links to HYV, not standardised in Highland yet.

HYV not enough in schools about HYV, some schools not running elections properly

BUILDINGS terrible!, desperately in need of improvement.

USE OF TECHNOLOGY not enough use, no consistency of teachers with ICT training, lack of ICT facilities, filtering overkill.

EXAM EDUCATION not enough info about dealing with pressure and time organisation.

P.E. LESSONS not effective, no info about healthy living, no PE compulsory after S4.

SCHOOL BUSES behaviour not monitored on buses, safety issues – seatbelts, fares for commercial buses – no passes from the school.

OTHER SCHOOL LINKS not clear to pupils links are in place, little non-sport links, not actually learning, just visiting for holidays, not many links to under-developed countries, no support.

Actions
PSE HYV work with schools and HC to create a standard PSE curriculum. More interesting and up-to-date materials – i.e. Skye Youth Forum festival DVD, Louise Jones Internet Safety presentation shown at Xec meeting

WORK EXPERIENCE Choice relevant to age group. More info about what you will be doing. Should be available to S6. Apprentice Day shadowing experience useful.

UNIFORM HYV to have a vote re school uniforms. Xec members like idea of uniform but would like more uniform options in some schools.

EXAM STRUCTURE S3 – Int 1s, S4 – Int 2s, S5 Highers, S6 Highers and Adv Highers. Open to flexibility. More vocational course options.

PUPIL COUNCILS Good examples of pupil councils to be shared across schools. Have HYV reps in pupil council. Share minutes of Xec meetings and Pupil council meetings on HYV website for HYV members and other young people to view.

HYV Improve communication between schools and HYV and info re HYV in schools

BUILDINGS keep ECS informed of young people’s view on buildings and track progress

USE OF TECHNOLOGY HYV need to promote benefits of ICT to teachers and schools, YDOs ie show them what you can put on a blog or Podcast. Make ECS / Schools aware of USEFUL technology.

EXAM EDUCATION Sophia’s example could be rolled out to schools – ‘Love Exams’ workshops,

www.tlg-education.com,with coping mechanisms, time management, relaxation techniques etc.

P.E. LESSONS Healthy living/sports options should be available at lunchtime or after school. After school club buses are good idea.

SCHOOL BUSES Bus monitors on bus – could be ‘undercover’ senior pupils to make life easier for chosen senior pupils having to monitor. Safety improvements. Passes or discounts for pupils on commercial buses should be available if they are travelling within the catchment area.

OTHER SCHOOL LINKS HYV need info about real international learning experiences. Need more non-sport links

-- END OF DOCUMENT --

gollach
22-May-08, 19:25
EXAM STRUCTURE S3 – Int 1s, S4 – Int 2s, S5 Highers, S6 Highers and Adv Highers. Open to flexibility. More vocational course options.

I don't think that you can do much about this as you have been overtaken by events. Regarding the desire for Int1 in S3, the Education Minister recently announced in the Scottish Parliament that no pupil will sit a national exam before S4 and those S4 exams for which pupils would be presented would be broadly based assessments of attainment in literature and numeracy, i.e. not subject specific.

You might try participating in the consultation process as a youth organisation, I am sure that the Minister would welcome opinions from those directly affected!

rfr10
22-May-08, 21:50
I don't think that you can do much about this as you have been overtaken by events. Regarding the desire for Int1 in S3, the Education Minister recently announced in the Scottish Parliament that no pupil will sit a national exam before S4 and those S4 exams for which pupils would be presented would be broadly based assessments of attainment in literature and numeracy, i.e. not subject specific.

You might try participating in the consultation process as a youth organisation, I am sure that the Minister would welcome opinions from those directly affected!

Thanks Gollach, I'll forward your comment on to the Schools Campaign Group convener.