PDA

View Full Version : OE Probs

porshiepoo
20-May-08, 14:18
God only knows whats wrong with this stoopid puter now.

I can't sign in to Outlook Express, I just get error0x800CCC92 come up. I've googled it and tried all the suggested repairs and now I'm stumped.
It just keeps asking for my user name and password and says that the password is wrong when it's not! I've tried re doing the account in OE tools - no joy!
Because this is BTinternet I am assuming it's somehting to do with BTYahoo. I changed my Yahoo password a while ago and apparantly BT say that the Yahoo details are the details I need to log in to OE, I've changed the password in Tools as Yahoo suggested at the time of the password change but still nothing - even though I can log in to BTYahoo no probs.
The thing is I changed the Yahoo password days ago so would have thought that I'd have noticed a problem before now if it was related? The email facility was working fine last night.
Any ideas?

Also, if I pick up my emails in Yahoo will I get them all? I logged in today for the first time in ages and found emails I didn't know I had so what determines where the emails get sent to - OE or Yahoo?

Moonboots
20-May-08, 14:42

I can't sign in to Outlook Express, I just get error0x800CCC92 come up. I've googled it and tried all the suggested repairs and now I'm stumped.
It just keeps asking for my user name and password and says that the password is wrong when it's not! I've tried re doing the account in OE tools - no joy!
Because this is BTinternet I am assuming it's somehting to do with BTYahoo. I changed my Yahoo password a while ago and apparantly BT say that the Yahoo details are the details I need to log in to OE, I've changed the password in Tools as Yahoo suggested at the time of the password change but still nothing - even though I can log in to BTYahoo no probs.
The thing is I changed the Yahoo password days ago so would have thought that I'd have noticed a problem before now if it was related? The email facility was working fine last night.
Any ideas?

Also, if I pick up my emails in Yahoo will I get them all? I logged in today for the first time in ages and found emails I didn't know I had so what determines where the emails get sent to - OE or Yahoo?

Past experiences mean you have to authenticate the password on the account which you are trying to gain access to. This can be done by going into the tools/accounts then select the email account and properties. Then click servers tab. check incoming mail server is mail.btinternet.com and outgoing as mail.btinternet.com. If these are correct then select my server requires authentication. then apply and ok.. this should sort out the problem. Also make sure your username and password are correct on the servers screen.

Hope this helps.

porshiepoo
20-May-08, 14:45
Done that - no joy! But thanks anyways.

blueivy
20-May-08, 14:48
Sent you a PM.

blueivy
20-May-08, 14:50
Past experiences mean you have to authenticate the password on the account which you are trying to gain access to. This can be done by going into the tools/accounts then select the email account and properties. Then click servers tab. check incoming mail server is mail.btinternet.com and outgoing as mail.btinternet.com. If these are correct then select my server requires authentication. then apply and ok.. this should sort out the problem. Also make sure your username and password are correct on the servers screen.

Hope this helps.

Hi Moonboots,

That only applies to traffic going out the way (ie. to the SMTP Server). Traditionally SMTP servers were unauthenticated but only allowed you to access them when you were connecting through that ISP. With everybody being mobile these days, most of them have changed it from unauthenticated but only allowing you to use it when connected through them to authenticated and allow you to use it through any ISP.

blueivy
21-May-08, 16:00

Any ideas?

As I said in the PM, your username and password are correct. I'm guessing it's corruption somewhere.

You mentioned that you have tried all of the solutions - did you try to log into your mail with another profile on the machine?

porshiepoo
22-May-08, 08:24
As I said in the PM, your username and password are correct. I'm guessing it's corruption somewhere.

You mentioned that you have tried all of the solutions - did you try to log into your mail with another profile on the machine?

Huh? Remember I'm a complete thicko when it comes to puters. lol.
I take it you mean logon using a different name? I don't have any logon names on this puter, we just all use the same.

porshiepoo
22-May-08, 12:01
I seem to have sorted this problem out now. I just did a system recovery and it all appears to be working fine again!

Thanks for all your help though