PDA

View Full Version : Plants

superted
15-May-08, 03:20
Hi everyone,

Was hoping some of you green fingered people could give be some advice as I'm new to this. I would like to plant some flowers in my garden, however the only area in my garden that allows this is a border along a 6 feet fence. This area gets very little if any sun if any at all and I was wondering what type of flowers would work living iin this type of shaded area.

thanks in advance for the help

Superted

gardeninginagale
16-May-08, 22:05
I guess the area is north-facing. Forget annuals or bedding plants. In fact, in this situation you need to look at foliage colour rather than flowers.

But don't give up on flowers. Hydrangea petiolaris will flower without sun. Bergenias and Lamiums (both perennials, and ground covering) will survive and flower. If it is damp and shaded, go for Hostas.

Ajuga reptans, commonly known as bugle, has purple foliage and blue/mauve flowers, covers ground rapidly, and doesn't care too much about sunlight.

Hope these thoughts help.

Tilter
16-May-08, 23:25
Vinca major (the big blue periwinkle) is a perennial that grows in shade (and even under conifers) and spreads. Bugle is good. Hostas great for ground cover in shade. What about Astilbe if the ground is moist? Ladies Mantle is a perennial that grows anywhere and floxgloves (biennial) will grow anywhere too. Not much in the way of flowers but lots of big green leaves are better than nothing and stop weeds. And snowdrops and daffodils for spring.

Margaret M.
17-May-08, 03:32
Some of my favorite perennials for shaded spots -- hostas, fern, columbine, bleeding hearts, Jack Frost, and Herman's Pride. Both Jack (blue flower) and Herman (yellow flower) have beautiful foilage and the wee flowers are a lovely bonus. Spotted deadnettle is also a gorgeous plant but I've found it to be quite invasive. I've had to move them to where I do not have to walk and weed since I am fearful that a snake may be underneath.

roadbowler
17-May-08, 11:09
clematis, schisandra and solomons seal.

superted
18-May-08, 20:14
Thanks so much for all your advice, Think I'll have to print this page off and take it to the garden shop!!!

dragonfly
18-May-08, 21:14
hebe's are good and will grow almost anywhere and there's a large variety of them nowadays

gardeninginagale
28-May-08, 22:06
Hebes hate wind, and will burn off and eventually die if you cannot provide shelter. Yes, they are very frost tolerant, but they cannot stand wnd.