PDA

View Full Version : slugs and snails

Dadie
08-May-08, 08:18
Is there any alternatives to slug pellets as something is munching its way through my plants in the garden but i dont really want to use slug pellets as i have a little girl who is not quite 2 yet and a stupid lab that will try to eat anything!

Julia
08-May-08, 09:47
I have a problem with slugs invading my house, someone suggested salt would do the trick, don't know how that would affect the soil though? :confused

Kevin Milkins
08-May-08, 11:22
I have a problem with slugs invading my house, someone suggested salt would do the trick, don't know how that would affect the soil though? :confused

If you cut a grapefruit or large orange in half and take the fruit out leaving just the peel.

Place them near your problem area hole facing downwards. check them every morning and you will find a good colection of snails to be disposed of as you wish.

Scunner
08-May-08, 15:18
Beer traps are effective and the creatures die happy[lol]

Dadie
09-May-08, 09:14
tried them ages ago shouldnt have tipped out the dead slugs and snails on the grass ended up with some very tipsy birdies in the garden:lol:

Think the slugs and snails are in cahoots with homebase the more plants they eat the more I buy to replace them which also get eaten!

dl757
31-May-08, 15:52
Garlic wash is a favourite for anyone not wanting to use chemicals. Two garlic bulbs chopped up and boiled in to a pint of water. The mixture is cooled, strained and then made up to two pints. A desert spoon is then added to a full watering can.

gardeninginagale
31-May-08, 20:16

Salt is only effective if applied directly to the slug. Basically, it dries them out. Pretty inneffective in the garden situation, but in the house . . . . just follow them around and sprinkle salt on them. On the other hand, if you get close enough to cover them with salt, you are also close enough to pick them up and squash . . I mean remove them humanely.

gardeninginagale
31-May-08, 20:27
But on a more serious note, Dadie, slugs hate anything dry and gritty. Coffee grounds are good, as are crushed eggshells, or even bog-standard sharp sand from the builders merchant. Horticultural grit from a garden centre is probably the top reccommendation, but its probably just sharp sand, repackaged, and costing twice as much.

If you are concerned about slug pellets, perhaps you might consider putting them under bits of broken pots, where children and birds cannot readily get to them. Slugs will always find a way in.