PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Final in Manchester

TBH
07-May-08, 12:10
Why were they awarded the final when the police openly admit they cannot handle it even going as far as to tell hotel, etc, owners that if something happens they will not have the manpower to respond and now we have the scenario of hotels and suchlike cancelling peoples bookings. Nothing short of a disgrace and they should never have been awarded it in the first place if they couldn't handle the obvious swell of supporters that would be arriving in their city.

honey
07-May-08, 14:17
its a joke the way its being handled. The only reason im not heading to manchester next week is because i cant get the day of work due to an embassy visit, if it wasnt for that (and mother in law wiling to babysit of course) i would have been there, ticket or not.

they should have two fan zones with big screens to show the match, the atmosphere would be fantastic, and a memeory no teddy bear will forget, win or lose.

scotsboy
08-May-08, 19:50
Just heard I have secured a ticket for the UEFA Cup Final...........flight and hotel were already booked, so it looks like being a good week next week!

percy toboggan
08-May-08, 19:55
I'm delighted for you...well done.

For those not so fortunate, but still travelling the city council today announced plans for several 'big-screens' in the centre of town...I should think so too. We're enjoyin' Riviera type weather at the moment but expect ship canal type climate and you'll not be disappointed.

honey
09-May-08, 09:09
id love to be in Manchester but cant get the time of work. I must be a weirdo though, im in Glasgow, but would love to be in the Park otel with my mam to watch it!!! :lol:

WeeBurd
11-May-08, 22:22
Football widow reporting in here...

MrBurd is more hyper than a 3yr old sucking on fizzy cola bottles - he's heading Percy's way on Tuesday. No ticket, but he insists he HAS to be there for the atmosphere [lol]. For info, he'll be the handsome one in the Rangers shirt - that should narrow it down for you, lol ;)!

theone
11-May-08, 22:42
I wish I could join him, working offshore though.

Whatever happen he'll have some memories!

The Pepsi Challenge
12-May-08, 01:20
Just heard I have secured a ticket for the UEFA Cup Final...........flight and hotel were already booked, so it looks like being a good week next week!

Obviously I hope Rangers get beat, but, that, you enjoy yourself for most of it. Seriously, as one of Rangers' better fans, I do mean it. Have a good yin.

Boozeburglar
12-May-08, 03:09
How in any way does it serve Scotland for Rangers to get beat?

:(

Venture
12-May-08, 06:53
Preparation is paramount in a game of this size so how do football supporters in general feel about the SPL's decision not to postpone any of Rangers games prior to the UEFA final.

DocStone
12-May-08, 08:17
Starting the first leg of the journey with Doc Jr this afternoon, staying glasgow overnight then joining the convoy from Ibrox on Tuesday morning.

I personally dont know who is more excited, the bairn or me!

Aisle 222 loyal!

scorrie
12-May-08, 12:52
Preparation is paramount in a game of this size so how do football supporters in general feel about the SPL's decision not to postpone any of Rangers games prior to the UEFA final.

I don't think the league schedule should be altered. Other events are organised around the original dates and could be thrown into chaos if matches are postponed. It has been well known that a good run in Europe leads to extra fixtures and if we were at an early stage of the Scottish season I would see it as fair to let Rangers have had last Saturday's game with Dundee Utd delayed. With it being early in the season, there would be less impact on other events and more time to play catch up at a quieter time. As it turned out, Rangers won the game easily and have had ample rest before Wednesday's game. The result of the big match could have a positive or negative effect based on emotions but I don't think professional footballers should be using tiredness as an excuse, as it is hardly like a shift down the mines they are putting in.

I don't support Rangers but I hope the win, for the sake of Scotland and Scottish Football. The only thing I can fault Rangers for is that they asked for the Scottish Cup Final to be moved. I think the Cup Final date should be set in stone and it is particularly poor form asking for it to be shifted when you would be facing Queen of The South and are 1/12 favourites to lift the cup.

To all those going to the game, have a great night. Let's hope the team and fans impress those who will be watching.

Metalattakk
12-May-08, 16:34
The only thing I can fault Rangers for is that they asked for the Scottish Cup Final to be moved. I think the Cup Final date should be set in stone and it is particularly poor form asking for it to be shifted when you would be facing Queen of The South and are 1/12 favourites to lift the cup.

Er, Rangers didn't ask for the Cup Final to be moved, it was suggested as a solution by the bumbling idiots of the Self Preservation League. The preposterous notion received short shrift and quite rightly so.

It's time the SPL got their act together, in my humble opinion. [evil]

scorrie
12-May-08, 17:31
Er, Rangers didn't ask for the Cup Final to be moved, it was suggested as a solution by the bumbling idiots of the Self Preservation League. The preposterous notion received short shrift and quite rightly so.

It's time the SPL got their act together, in my humble opinion. [evil]

According to The Daily Mail, they did. Not that that means much I suppose, after all this was a paper that gave a mere three columns to the situation in Burma, whilst devoting seven full pages to Rangers that day AND the same number the following day.

I fully agree that some of those involved in running football in Scotland would have difficulty organising a picnic.

Metalattakk
12-May-08, 17:51
Well, it's my understanding that Rangers asked for the Dundee Utd game to be rescheduled, and the SPL said the only way that could happen would be if the Cup Final was moved to accommodate the re-arranged fixture.

It is unclear whether Rangers even considered this as an option. Whatever, it would have made a mockery of things.

But you're right, newspapers will do what they have to to create a headline. The unfortunate thing is that people will then treat the story as fact.

Anyway, looking forward to Wednesday's game. Hope it's as dull as ditchwater, and Rangers win. Don't think my nerves could handle an end-to-end extravaganza of attacking football. ;)

obiron
12-May-08, 19:30
would love to go to manchester but not enough funds. still i have my bottle of champagne for celebrating what ever way the score goes, but especially a win.