PDA

View Full Version : Spelling

squidge
04-May-08, 10:45
See spelling - Im really good at it on paper but sitting here at my computer screen how is that i cant spell beleive .... see i do it all the time!!!!

I know you spell B E L I E V E like that but i cant spell it when i type. I always spell it beleive.... again and again and again. It's just weird.

Are there any words you struggle with at the keyboard or is it just me?

unicorn
04-May-08, 10:59
I before E except after C squidge :D

squidge
04-May-08, 11:01
I know unicorn :roll: but see i cant do it on a keyboard. it's ridiculous lol

unicorn
04-May-08, 11:02
your fingers have a mind of their own :lol: I love my spell checker :lol:

golach
04-May-08, 11:05
Not when you spell Leith Unicorn [lol]

unicorn
04-May-08, 11:07
ach that was just a bad spelling moment on the deeds [lol]

shazzap
04-May-08, 11:12

I was always told but not in all cases.

unicorn
04-May-08, 11:14
yup but it is such an easy spelling rule to remember and makes life a bit easier.
They don't seem to teach the old spelling rules in school now as my 12 year old had never heard of this which surprised me.

golach
04-May-08, 11:18
yup but it is such an easy spelling rule to remember and makes life a bit easier.
They don't seem to teach the old spelling rules in school now as my 12 year old had never heard of this which surprised me.
Sadly this is very true Unicorn, I can remember the I before E except after C formula very well, I had it whacked on my knuckles with ruler by my teacher often [lol]

shazzap
04-May-08, 11:18
Maybe because the saying makes a contradiction of it self

helenwyler
04-May-08, 11:20
Are there any words you struggle with at the keyboard or is it just me?

Yes Squidge...'remember' often gets me....I usually type 'rember' and miss out the middle syllable :mad:, but am so aware of it now I usually check it each time I type it, if I remember ;)!

unicorn
04-May-08, 11:21
I was always taught that there are exceptions to every rule and no formula is foolproof or perfect so I still sometimes have to keep the grey matter ticking over and work it out for myself. It has helped me far more than hindered me though.

helenwyler
04-May-08, 11:22

Yep...except 'seize', 'weird' and 'weir' :confused! And maybe others...

joxville
04-May-08, 11:42
I don't have trouble spelling, my problem is when to use an apostophe with a word ending in 's'.

Kevin Milkins
04-May-08, 12:20
Not when you spell Leith Unicorn [lol]

I was just about to say the same thing. I often write Lieth.

My spelling is awfull and I find if I am being carefull it gets worse.
I now just fire it down as I think then have a look later to try and spell check it.
I have tried to use the spellcheck on the forum , but it says you have to download it and when you click on it the pop up blocks it.

Fantoosh
04-May-08, 12:29
Yep...except 'seize', 'weird' and 'weir' :confused! And maybe others...

Also the word FOREIGN

TBH
04-May-08, 15:40
I before E except after C squidge :DUnless it's science.

Metalattakk
04-May-08, 16:03
I don't have trouble spelling, my problem is when to use an apostophe with a word ending in 's'.

http://dissc.tees.ac.uk/Mistakes/apostrophes/Apostrophes-Print.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A790175

scotsboy
04-May-08, 16:07
I know unicorn :roll: but see i cant do it on a keyboard. it's ridiculous lol

You just finger your QWERTY too quickly Squidge;)

Geo
04-May-08, 16:12
Squidge, you need a spell checker!

I have a spell in chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques for my revue
Miss steaks I kin knot sea
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee four two long
And eye can put the error rite
It’s rare lea ever wrong
Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather I am wrong or write
It shows me strait a weigh
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased too no
It’s letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

Bobinovich
04-May-08, 18:12
Love it Geo! My own achilles heel is teh the!!!

Sapphire2803
04-May-08, 18:25
Love it Geo! My own achilles heel is teh the!!!

You're not teh only one :lol:

joxville
04-May-08, 19:57
http://dissc.tees.ac.uk/Mistakes/apostrophes/Apostrophes-Print.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A790175

Thanks Metalattakk, certainly helps a lot.

shazzap
04-May-08, 20:54
You're not teh only one :lol:

I too have computer dyslexia. Don't know if it's trying to type too fast or my brain just not functioning properly.

Tilter
04-May-08, 21:03
I don't see as how spelling matters (and obviously I don't care about grammar) because it's only I believe in the past 100 years we've become hung up over it. Who cared how they spelled anything in Shakespeare's time? They made it up as they went along. (And did I spell Shakespeare right?).

What bugs me personally is why people can't see when to use "affect" and "effect" or (even easier) "its" or "it's".

Moi x
05-May-08, 02:12
See spelling - Im really good at it on paper but sitting here at my computer screen how is that i cant spell beleive .... see i do it all the time!!!!

I know you spell B E L I E V E like that but i cant spell it when i type. I always spell it beleive.... again and again and again. It's just weird.

Are there any words you struggle with at the keyboard or is it just me?Mis-typing 'believe' isn't bad spelling, it's bad typing.

The 'i before e except after c' rule is remarkably useful. Most of the exceptions are either place names such as 'Leith' or words where the 'ie' or 'ei' bit isn't monosyllabic, eg 'science', 'weird' and 'weir'. I don't know why 'seize' or 'foreign' don't fit the pattern.

Moi x

_Ju_
05-May-08, 08:01
Squidge, you are suffering from a syndrome that in itself is not serious, but can have serious consequences in the right setting. The disease is called FFS, or for those that hate these abreviations: Fat Finger Syndrome. It's when your fingers are not as agile as your brain thinks and you swap letters around trying to type them quickly or hit the nextdoor key by mistake. Don't worry about it. Celebrate it-there is no cure!!!!! ;) My pet FFS mis-spelling is Regards. It usually comes out regrads.

So regrads, Squidge

helenwyler
05-May-08, 10:59
The 'i before e except after c' rule is remarkably useful.
Moi x

True, but that rule is only useful for words where the 'ie' makes the single sound 'ee', as in piece, believe, brief, shriek etc. And hence 'receive', 'ceiling' etc. after 'c'.

When the word has more than one syllable, the 'i' and 'e' often separately represent a different syllable e.g. sci-ence, qui-et.

If the same two letters make the single sound 'ay', the spelling tends to be 'ei', as in eight, weight, neighbour, beige, veil, vein, reign etc.

There are exceptions of course... heifer, heir, protein, seize, height, feisty...either and neither :eek:.

Why am I thinking about spelling on a bank holiday? :confused

joxville
05-May-08, 13:08
Squidge, you are suffering from a syndrome that in itself is not serious, but can have serious consequences in the right setting. The disease is called FFS, or for those that hate these abreviations: Fat Finger Syndrome. It's when your fingers are not as agile as your brain thinks and you swap letters around trying to type them quickly or hit the nextdoor key by mistake. Don't worry about it. Celebrate it-there is no cure!!!!! ;) My pet FFS mis-spelling is Regards. It usually comes out regrads.

So regrads, Squidge

There was me thinking FFS was an abbreviation for when something went wrong!:D:D

joxville
05-May-08, 13:16
I don't see as how spelling matters (and obviously I don't care about grammar) because it's only I believe in the past 100 years we've become hung up over it. Who cared how they spelled anything in Shakespeare's time? They made it up as they went along. (And did I spell Shakespeare right?).

What bugs me personally is why people can't see when to use "affect" and "effect" or (even easier) "its" or "it's".

Yes,you got Shakespeare right however spelled should be spelt. (There's alway's one, I hear you say):D. A lot of words and phrases we use these days were made up by Shakespeare. It's reckoned he thought up about 2000 of them.

poppett
05-May-08, 14:07
It seems there was a university study some years ago and they discovered the spelling does not matter as long as the right number of letters are in the word. Try it and see.

George Brims
05-May-08, 20:11
I don't have trouble spelling, my problem is when to use an apostrophe with a word ending in 's'.
I've noticed. Here's a wee suggestion. Just try using less of them than you do right now!
[lol]

dellwak
05-May-08, 21:18
My problem is with their - or is it thier?
I know the i before e thing, but their doesn't seem to follow the rule, or does it?
I have just gone into Word to type it and let the spell checker correct thier to their, or the other way round. I have forgotten which way it is again.
I give up.

Moi x
06-May-08, 00:24
Most of the exceptions are either place names such as 'Leith' or words where the 'ie' or 'ei' bit isn't monosyllabic, eg 'science', 'weird' and 'weir'.

When the word has more than one syllable, the 'i' and 'e' often separately represent a different syllable e.g. sci-ence, qui-et.That's what I said, albeit slightly differently. :cool:

Yes,you got Shakespeare right however spelled should be spelt. (There's alway's one, I hear you say):D.You can use 'spelled' or 'spelt'. See here (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/spell_1?view=uk).

Ricco
07-May-08, 16:06
I always struggle with 'teh' - over and over again. ;)

Lolabelle
09-May-08, 07:39
Teh, and it;s,
This is only on the 'puter though!
Oh and I also do this; thought when I meant though!!!!!:eek:

Tilter
09-May-08, 21:22
You can use 'spelled' or 'spelt'. See here (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/spell_1?view=uk).

Cheers Moi. Spelt just looks weird. And what if you took a turn at someone's job for a few minutes because they were tired? You would have "spelled" them, not "spelt" them.

Or have I dreamed that up? Or have I dreamt it up.............??????????

padfoot
16-May-08, 01:33
i hav a problem of i know how to spell wateva it is bt wen i type it out i continually look at it and think its wrong i do this wen i write words down too

Metalattakk
16-May-08, 03:09
i hav a problem of i know how to spell wateva it is bt wen i type it out i continually look at it and think its wrong i do this wen i write words down too

At what point did you think - "Yeah, posting this is the right thing to do"?

padfoot
16-May-08, 09:40
dunno it was late and was tired hahaha just read it lol it sounds a bit stupid bt all the bad spelling is coz im used to usin the short version from txtin

Metalattakk
16-May-08, 12:20
Well, I'd advise you to type your words carefully, and to refrain from using the dreaded 'txt spk', as I'm sure you don't want to come across as a 'chav'. :roll:

Just my opinion, of course. ;)

padfoot
16-May-08, 13:03
Well, I'd advise you to type your words carefully, and to refrain from using the dreaded 'txt spk', as I'm sure you don't want to come across as a 'chav'. :roll:

Just my opinion, of course. ;)

haha lol no idea wat a chav is cnt help the short txt always use it not coz anythin do with bein chav like lol bt most ppl use it so they can fit more in the txt so u get more for ur money i know i do and i use it on msn just used to it altho wen typing summit official i can type prpoerly hahaha altho not done that in a while ;)

rfr10
16-May-08, 13:06
The word I have a habit of spelling wrong is unfortunately. I always spell it unfortionately.

I can never seem to get out of the habit of spelling it wrong.

Bt thn agen, maybe its cause i gt in2 the habit of typin lyk this on msn nd instnt messagin stuff tht mkes me spel wrng.

the_count
16-May-08, 13:07
i always find that no matter how badly spelt things are in text i can usually make out what's being said. must be from years of chat in and about on the computer. They actualy say that the brn s cpbl f mkng t wrds wtht ny vwls t ll .... th brn srt f pts thm n fr y .:lol: oh i can see a few of ya scratching your heads lol :lol:

padfoot
16-May-08, 13:15
i always find that no matter how badly spelt things are in text i can usually make out what's being said. must be from years of chat in and about on the computer. They actualy say that the brn s cpbl f mkng t wrds wtht ny vwls t ll .... th brn srt f pts thm n fr y .:lol: oh i can see a few of ya scratching your heads lol :lol:

hmm think i can make out a few words (the bairn is capapble of makin the words without any vowels the bairn sort of posts then and for why) lol how did i do haha i dnt shorten them that much lol

mccaugm
16-May-08, 13:18

As long as word has the first and last letters correct, the letters in the middle can be in any order and you can still read the text, your brain automatically unjumbles them.

I prefer correct spelling but do admit to making mistakes as everyone does.

Cannot understand why when people are taught to read and write in there own language, they choose to shorten or alter everything. I understand why when you are on a messenger service or texting someone but not on something you can take your time on like the Org.

Can anyone enlighten me?

helenwyler
16-May-08, 14:51
haha lol no idea wat a chav is cnt help the short txt always use it not coz anythin do with bein chav like lol bt most ppl use it so they can fit more in the txt so u get more for ur money i know i do and i use it on msn just used to it altho wen typing summit official i can type prpoerly hahaha altho not done that in a while

Padfoot, seeing as you don't have to pay to post on CCWS, I for one would appreciate it if you could type proper words. Txt spk is fine for the mobile, where messages are generally short. A post in txt spk (especially longer than one line) on a forum where there is a great age range is not comfortable for a lot of us to read! The lack of punctuation in txt spk makes it harder still:confused.

You say you can type properly...so, please :)?

Margaret M.
16-May-08, 15:09
This forum is making me feel like an old fuddy duddy today. First the drinking thread and now the txt spk which I find very annoying when used anywhere other than texting.

padfoot
17-May-08, 17:26
Padfoot, seeing as you don't have to pay to post on CCWS, I for one would appreciate it if you could type proper words. Txt spk is fine for the mobile, where messages are generally short. A post in txt spk (especially longer than one line) on a forum where there is a great age range is not comfortable for a lot of us to read! The lack of punctuation in txt spk makes it harder still:confused.

You say you can type properly...so, please :)?

hi thank you for asking nicely unlike some people i will try my hardest to write properly from now on but please forive me if i slip up this is what i have been writing with for a long time i would of done quicker if someone hadn't come on and got my back up then tried to call me thick just because its not his choosen way of writing anyways will try hard thank you again x