PDA

View Full Version : Video Shop

BIG A
02-May-08, 17:44
Been told that the Video Shop at Smith Terrance is to close next week sad another Wick shop bites the Dust[disgust]

Venture
02-May-08, 18:26
It was a good shop when it was needed. Before the days of the internet I used to spend a fortune in there between videos and games. I suppose there is no need to rent anything nowadays. Ive noticed the owner has been working in Tescos for some time. Its all a sign of the times as they say.

bonami
02-May-08, 20:56
Same thing happened with picture houses when TV came along.Used to be few video hire shops in town before satilite television.

tommy1979
03-May-08, 11:43
the same video shop who would charge you regardless for DVD's that was scratched so much they was unwatchable?

the interweb killed the videoshop man

nanoo
04-May-08, 13:37
Been told that the Video Shop at Smith Terrance is to close next week sad another Wick shop bites the Dust[disgust]

Yes it's sad to see this shop go as it has served the community well for the last 25 years. I've been a member myself for some 16 of those years. If anyone is interested, the shop stock is being sold off as from today, Prices are from 99p to £5.00. I'm going in myself as there are a few DVDs i'd like to own.

Can i just say, i'd like to wish Hector and his family all the best for the future.

TBH
04-May-08, 15:43
the same video shop who would charge you regardless for DVD's that was scratched so much they was unwatchable?

the interweb killed the videoshop manVideo killed the radio star.

bonami
04-May-08, 20:56
Always found Hector a proper gentleman. I was a member when he was in Breadalbane sometimes took tapes to sea and was late getting them back due to weather never charged extra. All the best to him.

scorrie
07-May-08, 21:59
I am surprised that the shop stayed open as long as it did. In the early days of video, Pagie's shop in Louisburgh Street was hooching with people hiring videos. You usually had to get your name down well in advance to have a chance of getting a look at the new releases. Films cost a fortune to buy in those days and pirate copies were usually poor quality. Fast Forward, excuse the pun, to DVD/Internet and every self-respecting Dounreay Worker (Oxymoron?) knows a guy Jimmy in the Labs who is knocking out Pixel-Perfect back-ups (for sole viewing and definitely not for resale of course but supposing they were, they would be two quid) Add to that the fact that DVD's drop way down in price not that long after release and older, pot boilers and S.T.V discs for sale in Tesco at 97p a whip and it is little wonder that the stop and eject buttons were eventually pressed.

One last lesson from the days of video, never take VHS Blue Movies to a Stag Party hosted by the only man in the Northern Hemisphere still running a Betamax machine!!

Gizmo
10-May-08, 20:40
It's really sad to see Mayfair Video close down, i have been a member since 1984 when i was 13 years old, Hector is a gent of the highest order, as tight as a frogs behind but still a gent...lol, he will be sorely missed :(