PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free Upgrade

Bobinovich
01-May-08, 10:36
To all users of the free version of AVG anti-virus, the version 8 is now available for downloading by clicking here (http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe) (then clicking either of the first two links) - the old 7.5 version will stop being updated from 31st May.

The new version also has anti-spyware built in so offers even better protection. It does make it a bigger download (45Mb) so I wouldn't try it if you're on dial up internet.

changilass
01-May-08, 22:08
Cheers for that Bob, fully updated and safe now - fingers crossed:lol:

TRUCKER
07-May-08, 05:53
Thanks Bob Have Updated To Version 8 Thank U Again.

Mr_Me19
08-May-08, 07:22
Ah I see they have stopped charging for it now. I was sick of getting an update window for a product I didn't want.

colmac
08-May-08, 20:52
Hmmmm...the link doesn't seem to be working anymore...:confused

Bobinovich
08-May-08, 21:25
Just tried it and it's still fine! It should take you to a page where, part way down, there is a blue bar with 'Download AVG Free 8.0" on, or the text link just below 'Download AVG Free 8.0 (AVG Server)" - you can click either of those links to start the download.

poppett
24-May-08, 19:20
Thanks for the link Bob. I have been trying for almost three weeks to get this done. It took a while, but I got there in the end. Must award myself some brownie points.

bluenose
25-May-08, 17:40
I paid for the commercial version, (abut £43) yet cannot get them to send me a licence key/number. This was a month ago. I tried their marketing arm which a different company (or is it?) based in Germany. They told me to wait a few days then contact AVG direct, which I did, asking for either a key/number or cancel my order.
Nothing, I would cancel my order and like my money back (due to exchange rates it should be very slightly more) but I cannot.
As it is I have upgraded the free version.

dessie
25-May-08, 19:50
hi bobin..i had to delete the older version because it made my computer very very slow..will this one help...thanks...Dessie

Bobinovich
25-May-08, 21:18
It depends what was making your PC slow in the first place (I doubt it was AVG unless it was corrupted), and what the specifications of your PC are.

Firstly the new AVG 8 will not work on pre-XP systems and, secondly, from my experience, it is one of the more compact anti-virus (AV) packages, so shouldn't take too much systems resources.

I would say that if you're currently running without any AV package then you need to get something on ASAP.

blueivy
26-May-08, 12:22
I would say that if you're currently running without any AV package then you need to get something on ASAP.

I second that. These days you should NEVER run your computer without a good antivirus, antispyware and firewall software. You should also stay well away from Norton anti-anything products :)