PDA

View Full Version : door to door collectors

ginajade
29-Apr-08, 21:36
Is the door to door collector going round collecting for " the naval " genuine does anyone know ? - a young, foreign lady, or has my Granny been scammed. She may have mis-heard the name of the charity, but I have a horrible feeling she may have been conned. If you have an elderly relative it may be worth warning them,, I believe most local charities advertise in the paper and on the org when they are going to be doing house collections and if this is a scam, it is terrible because it is going to affect the genuine charities.

ocd
29-Apr-08, 21:45
That sounds dodgy to me!!

I would contact the police

TBH
29-Apr-08, 21:52
Well if she was foreign I would call the police post haste.:lol:
What is the Naval?

Tighsonas4
29-Apr-08, 21:52
hi there has been quite a lot of this type of thing going on.
what on earth would that mean as a charity??tony

Buttercup
29-Apr-08, 21:53
Is the door to door collector going round collecting for " the naval " genuine does anyone know ? - a young, foreign lady, or has my Granny been scammed. She may have mis-heard the name of the charity, but I have a horrible feeling she may have been conned. If you have an elderly relative it may be worth warning them,, I believe most local charities advertise in the paper and on the org when they are going to be doing house collections and if this is a scam, it is terrible because it is going to affect the genuine charities.

Try contacting the council. All charities need a licence from the council to do any collecting and only 1 charity is allowed to collect at a time. So they should be able to tell you who is licenced to be collecting at any given time.

Kevin Milkins
29-Apr-08, 22:23
I always let the police know if sombody is doing door to door regardless of what the reason. There are some very good scammers out there and if the police are aware that the area is being worked legit or other wise they are in a position to act post haste.

_Ju_
30-Apr-08, 07:17
It is "ENABLE" they are an authorised charity and are, till the end of the week, going door to door. They are authorised. They have this every year.(Enable work with adults with learning difficulties and do very good work).
PS: the tins are identified and the people carrying them have cards authorising them. Just ask to see them and ask what enable is about.

Tighsonas4
30-Apr-08, 09:26
CHARITY
the collectors we had for that were simply out and out wickers
its been the same ones for a few years
is it a crossed wire here tony

jings00
30-Apr-08, 12:00
my elderly neighbour had a young foreign person asking her for some money the other day, she told them she didn't have any and off they went....but wonder if it is the same ??

_Ju_
30-Apr-08, 12:48
Why does it make a difference if they are foreign if they are identified with card and tin?

Kevin Milkins
30-Apr-08, 14:32
Why does it make a difference if they are foreign if they are identified with card and tin?

There were a group of Polish People doing the door to door a while ago and were saying that they are Polish art students and could they show you some of there pencil drawings.
If you give them the time you will be impressed with what you see and could only guess at how many hours of work go into each sketch.
The scam is they are not pencil drawings but massed produced copys of some very nice pencil drawings. If you tell them to hang on while you get a rubber so you can check them out, and see how quickly they disapear.
Its not the chancer you have to worry about too much ,but these organised gangs of fraudsters.
Wick police station number is 01955 603551. and I keep it by the phone.

WeeBurd
30-Apr-08, 14:36

Ju is completely right, when it comes to Door-to-Door collections, the collectors must be registered, so if in doubt ask to see their ID - do not simply judge them on their accent or appearance. [evil]

BRIE
30-Apr-08, 14:54
There were a group of Polish People doing the door to door a while ago and were saying that they are Polish art students and could they show you some of there pencil drawings.
If you give them the time you will be impressed with what you see and could only guess at how many hours of work go into each sketch.
The scam is they are not pencil drawings but massed produced copys of some very nice pencil drawings. If you tell them to hang on while you get a rubber so you can check them out, and see how quickly they disapear.
Its not the chancer you have to worry about too much ,but these organised gangs of fraudsters.
Wick police station number is 01955 603551. and I keep it by the phone.

I had a young polish girl at my door a couple of years ago selling drawings I did buy one as they were amazing & very cheap considering the work that had gone into it.
& yes mine was a genuine article I checked.

_Ju_
30-Apr-08, 15:06
A Polish ( or any other nationality-even British) knocking at you door asking you to buy something is not a charity. If someone is asking for a charity then assure yourself that they are who they say they are and if you want to, give (carefully fold;) your donation and place through slot within tin). If they are genuinely asking for a charity they will not be at all offended for you making sure they are doing what they say they are doing.

As for being foreign, that does not mean that it is more likely to be a scam, and less likely if they are from the UK. That is just a preconception, an unpleasant one at that. Foreigners also like to help their local communities, they also give blood, they also volunteer. To presume that because someones accent is different, they have to be scamming is hurtful. Especially so because the foreigner refered to in this thread might even be me, as I have been asking for enable every year for the last three years. But then again, it might not, as I am not the only foreigner here who participates in the community they live in.

Mr P Cannop
30-Apr-08, 15:12
and for your info thurso police station number is 01847 893222

_Ju_
30-Apr-08, 15:27
and for your info thurso police station number is 01847 893222

Exactly what does that contribute to the discussion?

Is it an implication as to the inability/stupidity of people to find a telephone number in the telephone book ( where "normally" people would look for it and not on here). Or are you trying to infer without actually typing the words that you concur that in general foreign people asking door to door are scamming, particularly so when it happens in caithness?

Probably the latter.....but then again, maybe it was just a petty off the hand remark, of no intention at all but that unfortunately reads badly.

Mr P Cannop
30-Apr-08, 15:39
carrying on from message number 11

Kevin Milkins
30-Apr-08, 16:23
I do hope Ju that you are not suggesting in any way that the post I made was racist.
I was pointing out a fact. To elaborate on that fact I was driving along Henrietta street ,Wick on my way home and saw a group of about 8 people stood with folders. I had not seen them before and they looked suspect.
Half an hour later as clearly stated a Polish male came to my house and said " I am a Polish art student", and wanted me to look at his pencil drawings.
About 3 years ago the same scam was worked in South Wales and people were being warned that thes drawings were massed produced prints of pencil drawings.
I politly told the young man I was not interested. I then decided to inform the police as it was my opinion that this may be the same gang. Through my own inability or stupididty, the only number I could find was the call centre in Inverness and having told them the story I was then put through to Wick.
I would just challenge you all to find the number of Wick police station as if it an energancy. Perhaps I am stupid.With the technoligy available it is easy to look official with name badges etc. It is my understanding that to sell door to door you require an Hawkers licence,and if you are collecting for charity then the police should be aware.At no time did I mention Foreigners and my concern is for the elderly and gullible.

ginajade
30-Apr-08, 19:40
Thanks to all who replied. My Granny has informed the police. I mentioned that the person was foreign as a way of identifying her. I am aware of Enable as I work with people with learning disabilities and am sure that the young woman was not collecting for them. I think that by mentioning they are foreign is just people identifying them, nothing to do with being racist. my granny used the word foreign as she could not identify her nationality or accent. I would have a cheek if I was trying to be racist as my dad was " foreign ", nor am i or anyone else suggesting that all foreign collectors are rogues, but i just think people should be aware, so that they can warn their elderly or vulnerable neighbours/relatives, without being scared of donating to the genuine cases. maybe we should as one reply suggested ask for identity of all collectors who come to our door. thanks again.

jings00
30-Apr-08, 22:37
Originally Posted by _Ju_

i was merely commenting that they were foreign, had they been local, i would likely have said, a local sounding lad asked for money.....
disny mean a thing.

incidentally, i think this chap just asked for money on the offchance

balto
01-May-08, 11:58
i for one now know the ones who come round every year collecting for charity, and most of them i dont mind giving to , but i am very wary about strangers especially the ones that are selling stuff