PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea Pensioner

scottishrootsbarb
27-Apr-08, 20:49
I have come across the reference to someone being a Chelsea Pensioner quite often on Census Records and have wondered if anyone know more about what it means to be a Chelsea pensioner.
Any help on this is gratefully appreciated
Thanks in advance

Julia
27-Apr-08, 21:45
It refers to any former British soldier who lives within the Royal Hospital. In order to live-in they surrender their army pension, and receive board, lodging, clothing and full medical care.

NickInTheNorth
27-Apr-08, 21:48
Everything you want to know here (http://chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/home.asp)

scottishrootsbarb
27-Apr-08, 23:05
Thanks for that but it doesn't explain how someone livnig in Rothiemay, Banffshire, for example; would be shown to be a Chelsea Pensioner on the 1851 census.

scottishrootsbarb
27-Apr-08, 23:09
I jumped the gun - there are both in-pensioners and out-pensioners. So I suppose that someone who lived in Rothiemay, Banffshire was an out-pensioner and likely had been wounded during his military service.

Thank you so much

Oddquine
27-Apr-08, 23:10
When a soldier enlisted, a form called an attestation paper was completed. Likewise, if he was discharged to pension, a discharge document was completed. The papers were held by the Royal Hospital, Chelsea who administered his pension (hence “Chelsea Pensioner”, a term which applies both to those living at the hospital -“in pensioners” - and those receiving cash payments - “out pensioners).

http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/Infobase/Begin-Army2.htm

Angela
29-Apr-08, 09:30
I was very puzzled when I found my ggg grandfather William Fraser in the 1941 census living at Badachlavan and described as a Chelsea Pensioner. Then I found out about out pensioners and it made sense.
With his name and place of birth (Gairloch) I found him on the National Archives site and was able to get some more info about him. He'd served in the 42nd (Royal Highland) Foot Regiment and was in the 3rd Royal Veteran Battalion, when he was discharged with a pension aged 33 (c. 1816).
I'd love to see his service record and find out more, but to do that I was told I'd need to get to Kew in person.
However, I can see from Oddquines's post that there could be another way, so I'll give that a try. :)

Rachel22
21-May-08, 19:07
I hope that you have managed to get these details.
I sent for my 4x gr g'father's pension details as he too was an out-patient Chelsea Pensioner. From these I didn't discover too much more e.g. parents or wife, but it did give me his description, what his injuries were, battle and place where he was injured and the amount of pension. These 2 photocopied sheets of paper now take pride of place in my family history.
Rachel

magtomich
22-May-08, 21:22
Angela - there are people in the Kew area who research the records for a fee. I got some info including discharge papers on an ancestor who also served in the 42nd and was a 'Chelsea Pensioner' although he lived in Caithness.
It was a long time ago and I cannot remember who did the research but I think it cost me about £40. Google should be able to point you in the right direction.:)

Angela
22-May-08, 21:34
Angela - there are people in the Kew area who research the records for a fee. I got some info including discharge papers on an ancestor who also served in the 42nd and was a 'Chelsea Pensioner' although he lived in Caithness.
It was a long time ago and I cannot remember who did the research but I think it cost me about £40. Google should be able to point you in the right direction.:)

magtomich, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe our ancestors will turn out to have been old comrades! :D