PDA

View Full Version : Rabies nearly got through customs

ciderally
26-Apr-08, 11:37
good job they have the stringent rules in uk...cant think how that puppy got as far as it did...as i have just went thru blood test ect ect for taking the dogs back..and have been told all papers are to be in order and checked before travelling the dogs to uk....

the_count
26-Apr-08, 11:44
OK am missing a link here i think. What dog and where and when lol where is the story posted? I love a good story :lol:

ciderally
26-Apr-08, 11:45
OK am missing a link here i think. What dog and where and when lol where is the story posted? I love a good story :lol:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7368383.stm

the_count
26-Apr-08, 12:06
Thanx ciderally a very interesting artical and i was quite shocked to see there is more than one form of rabies
A licensed bat handler died in Scotland from a rare form of rabies caught from a bat in 2002. :eek:

DeHaviLand
26-Apr-08, 12:18
good job they have the stringent rules in uk...cant think how that puppy got as far as it did...as i have just went thru blood test ect ect for taking the dogs back..and have been told all papers are to be in order and checked before travelling the dogs to uk....

The puppy apparently got only as far as it could get, ie into the kennels for its 6 months quarantine. The rules, in this case, worked exactly as they were designed to work.

Metalattakk
26-Apr-08, 13:53
Can someone tell me why we are rescuing Sri Lankan dogs and importing them into the UK in the first place?

the_count
26-Apr-08, 14:28
i dunno metalattakk, i could understand it if it was a rare breed or summats, maybe they are misguided or didn't fancy seeing the dogs in a curry the following night lol :lol:

percy toboggan
26-Apr-08, 20:27
Nobody, but nobody ahould be allowed to bring a dog, or any other domestic animal for that matter from third world countries like Sri Lanka.
If they think so much of their mutt they can't bear to be seperated from it then they should stay put.

It's bad enough we let all and sundry and every Tom ,Dick and Ali in human form into Britain with the merest formality...must we now abide with their animals too?

Tilter
26-Apr-08, 20:27
Can someone tell me why we are rescuing Sri Lankan dogs and importing them into the UK in the first place?
My thoughts exactly. They could have been put down, and literally hundreds of UK dogs rescued/rehomed for the cost of flying and quarantining 5 puppies from Sri Lanka. Sorry if I sound harsh but I just don't get it, and I'm a dog person. In 1989 I flew my two dogs from the States and as far as I can recall, flights and quarantine amounted to about US$4000 almost 20 years ago.

Tilter
26-Apr-08, 20:30
Nobody, but nobody ahould be allowed to bring a dog, or any other domestic animal for that matter from third world countries like Sri Lanka.
If they think so much of their mutt they can't bear to be seperated from it then they should stay put.

It's bad enough we let all and sundry and every Tom ,Dick and Ali in human form into Britain with the merest formality...must we now abide with their animals too?

You're on form tonight Percy.

ciderally
26-Apr-08, 21:04
i know when i came over here it cost a fortune on blood tests ,pet passports, vacinations and chiped....and i have had to keep up the boosters ect while here ...and they have just got the blood test certificates back after a six month period to make sure that rabies wasent present ...plus the tick and fleas treatment have to be stamped each month by the vet and when i do decide to take them back to uk i have to have a certifcate of good health from the vet.....if you dont do all that then they go into quartine for 6 months...but look what happens...not very nice for the workers that have to be treated for rabies..

George Brims
26-Apr-08, 21:19

How about a non Third World country like the continental USA and Canada, or most of Europe? Rabies is endemic in both those continents. Britain, Australia and Hawaii are the only places I know where it isn't (I'm sure there are a lot of other islands too).

This whole fuss is another piece of yellow journalism, creating a story about the system not working when it did exactly that, as Dehaviland has pointed out.

_Ju_
26-Apr-08, 21:47

If you do the vaccination followed by blood test then you get issued a pet passport and do not have to do quarantine. This animal did not go through that procedure and therefore had to be quarantined. That is what quarintine exists for and it worked: the animal did not get into the general population.

golach
26-Apr-08, 21:55

Rabies is rife in France as well as Sri Lanka, it does not have to be a Third World country, just thank goodness the Uk rules are stringent.
Having worked for HMC&E in dock areas, we were given anti Rabies jabs, and I can tell you they were not pleasant, but far better than catching Rabies I think.

Kevin Milkins
26-Apr-08, 22:19
My wife and I travelled France Spain and Portugal in a camper van and took our 2 boxer dogs with us. It was a right pain in the backside with injections and passports etc.
We stayed in Conil De La Frontera in southern Spain for 5 weeks and could not believe the amount of stray dogs about. On the way back we stopped off Praia de Luz for a while and at night you would here a dog start barking and every dog in 4 surrounding parishes would kick off. We have very good rules in place regarding the resposible ownership of dogs and we now realise why it is important to take the rules seriously.Keep rabies out. Was that a drop of rain I fealt.?

Tilter
27-Apr-08, 18:23
How about a non Third World country like the continental USA and Canada, or most of Europe? Rabies is endemic in both those continents. Britain, Australia and Hawaii are the only places I know where it isn't (I'm sure there are a lot of other islands too).

This whole fuss is another piece of yellow journalism, creating a story about the system not working when it did exactly that, as Dehaviland has pointed out.
Agree George. I've spent a lot of my life where rabies was endemic - never heard of anyone getting rabies, never heard of a mad dog. You just learn to leave the squirrels and bats alone. I seem to remember horses are the most susceptible out of all the domestic animals.

badger
27-Apr-08, 18:57
The woman from the charity that "rescued" these dogs said she didn't regret it. If people want to donate to something like that I suppose that's their business but could I suggest that the same charity should pay for all the subsequent costs? If the poor old taxpayer has to pick up any bills from this nonsense, it's disgraceful.