PDA

View Full Version : Consumer rights

dozy
25-Apr-08, 20:01
QUESTION ;
I just bought an lawncare item from HOMEBASE in the sale but when i got it home I HAD PICKED UP THE WRONG ONES (straight shears instead of edging shears ) .My good lady wife was going to Wick and offered to take them back and get the right ones .The shop assistant told her that ALL SALE ITEMS and NON-RETURNABLE so they wont take them back FULL STOP !
WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS.

Sapphire2803
25-Apr-08, 20:03
You can take them back. The sale does not effect your statutory rights.

Fluff
25-Apr-08, 20:07
Helpful website;
http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

NickInTheNorth
25-Apr-08, 20:42
If they are faulty in some way then you have the same rights as any other time. However if you have just decided you don't want them (as in this case) it is at the discretion of the store.

Best bet phone and speak to the manager and explain that you have bought the wrong item in error and would he/she allow you to exchange it.

99 times out of a 100 you'll have no bother.

If this is the one time then make sure to come back and let us all know. (And tell the manager that is what you will do too!)

EDDIE
25-Apr-08, 22:46
QUESTION ;
I just bought an lawncare item from HOMEBASE in the sale but when i got it home I HAD PICKED UP THE WRONG ONES (straight shears instead of edging shears ) .My good lady wife was going to Wick and offered to take them back and get the right ones .The shop assistant told her that ALL SALE ITEMS and NON-RETURNABLE so they wont take them back FULL STOP !
WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS.

But if thats the case that all sale items are non returnable was there a sign thats clearly visable saying that to make the customer aware?
I would go on to the homebase website and complain to there customer services for as long as the good s are not damaged you should be able to return them or at least exchange them or get vouchers the only time its not retutnable if there is visable notice telling u that.

NickInTheNorth
25-Apr-08, 22:49
But if thats the case that all sale items are non returnable was there a sign thats clearly visable saying that to make the customer aware?
I would go on to the homebase website and complain to there customer services for as long as the good s are not damaged you should be able to return them or at least exchange them or get vouchers the only time its not retutnable if there is visable notice telling u that.

Not true, if the goods are not faulty then there is no absolute right to return. Shops will exchange things, but only as a matter of good customer service.

Geo
26-Apr-08, 00:46
the only time its not retutnable if there is visable notice telling u that.

Such signs do not change consumer law, which says goods have to be as described, fit for purpose etc. If sale goods do not conform then you can get a refund. Exceptions are when you were aware of faults before buying either because the shop told you or it was obvious the item had a fault.

NickInTheNorth
26-Apr-08, 09:50
Most posters seem to be missing the main point of the original post.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the item.

The buyer simply bought the wrong item, and now wants to get the right item. The shop is under no obligation whatsoever to swap it. Consumer law does not enter into this situation.

The only way they may get it swapped is relying on the goodwill of the shop. There is no legal right to exchange an item bought in error.

balto
26-Apr-08, 11:22
cant really see a problem here it isnt as if you are just taking them back to exchange them, it isnt as if you are wanting your money back, i would ask to see th emanger and see what he/she has to say, you are within your rights.

the_count
26-Apr-08, 11:59
Would have to agree with you NickInTheNorth its definitely a case of relying on the goodwill of the shop for this one :cool:

Geo
26-Apr-08, 13:33
Consumer law does not enter into this situation.

Consumer law is intrinsic to the post I was replying to.

However the OP as you say has no right to an exchange or refund.

poppett
26-Apr-08, 15:47
Personally I have never had a problem returning goods to Homebase for a refund or exchange. Sometimes they do have goods in a display box which are damaged or a screw missing and the box states that these goods can not be returned, so buyer beware.

However if it is just a case of having picked up the wrong item from the display, which is easy to do, as folk pick them up to look but don`t always put them back where they belong, then an exchange should be no problem.