PDA

View Full Version : Auchern

Bonnie Parker-Duke
23-Apr-08, 14:51
Can anyone help me out with info on Auchern? Where is it? What is it? Any particular families associated with it?

I've been transcribing the "Weir letters" again and came upon this reference in a letter from Catherine Weir to her son Dan:

I was at Auchern 9 days but I only got the last of it. Ket and hers had all the work done before we came up. She has got a daughter I would not have the name on no account and she told it was Ket and not me she was to give the name to.

I have no clue where Auchern is or what it is. I have no idea who "she" is. Ket is Catherine Weir, daughter of Catherine and John Weir.

I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Bonnie

martin macdonald
23-Apr-08, 18:11
Can anyone help me out with info on Auchern? Where is it? What is it? Any particular families associated with it?

I've been transcribing the "Weir letters" again and came upon this reference in a letter from Catherine Weir to her son Dan:

I was at Auchern 9 days but I only got the last of it. Ket and hers had all the work done before we came up. She has got a daughter I would not have the name on no account and she told it was Ket and not me she was to give the name to.

I have no clue where Auchern is or what it is. I have no idea who "she" is. Ket is Catherine Weir, daughter of Catherine and John Weir.

I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Bonnieits a small place at lyth, might be the farm:eek:

beelag2000
26-Apr-08, 19:50
Hi Bonnie
It might be Auchhorn near Lyth that Martin has referred to which is about 6 or 7 miles north of of Wick on the A99 Wick to John O Groats road just north of Loch of Wester.
However it might also be Achairn which is only about 2 miles west of Aqua Vitae Meadow that we spoke of on your other post re the Weirs. On the following link go to "Get a Map Now", go to the far north east of scotland and click on Caithness. From Wick go west on the A882, Aqua Vitae Meadow is just across the A882 from the "Ja" of Janetstown. Continue along the A882 past Milton until you come to Bridge of Haster, turn south past Stirkoke Mains, turn West before you come to Newlands, continue on past Greystones and Housequoy and you will come to Achairn. A family named Innes have been there for several generations.
Cheers
B

beelag2000
26-Apr-08, 19:58
Me again Bonnie
I forgot to leave the link - having just polished off 3 glasses of a fine red wine might be a justifiable explanation/excuse. http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/#terms
Also in old Caithness dialect Catherine was often shortened to "Keet" pronounced with a hard "k"
Cheers
B

Bonnie Parker-Duke
27-Apr-08, 16:56
Thanks so much! I'm rushing today but will settle down to the link and map this evening. I so appreciate your help! I can't tell you how much I wish I was living at Aqua Vitae Meadows or Achern just now!

Thanks also for the pronounciation of Ket. I had been pronouncing it with the short "e". So much to learn; so little time.

Perhaps I'll be able to check that link out with the aid of a couple of glasses of fine red wine!

Bonnie Parker-Duke
27-Apr-08, 16:59
Thanks for your assistance, Martin. I'm going to find it on the map and then mark it on Google Earth. You are so lucky to be there in person!

beelag2000
27-Apr-08, 21:25
I just had a look at an old map and what we now call Achairn is spelled Achern so it looks even more like what was in the letter.

scottishrootsbarb
27-Apr-08, 23:11
Yes wine does make the research go so much better. I am enjoying a glass as we speak