PDA

View Full Version : strawberry plants advice please

Dadie
23-Apr-08, 14:38
Has anyone got some advice about planting strawberry plants?
I have just bought some but I have never managed to grow anything before...
I was thinking about putting them in tubs and hoping for the best!

2little2late
23-Apr-08, 14:55
You can buy special containers for growing strawberries in or depending on how much ground you have, probably the best way to grow them. To grow them in a plot you need to make sure the plot is weed free all the time.
You can either use weed control fabric or failing that use straw between all the plants. The straw helps to keep the runners off the soil and also deters slugs as well. Space the plants about 12"-18" apart in rows. If you use weed control fabric you need to have as much as the size of the plot where the strawberries are to be planted.

All you need to do is cut a cross (+) in the fabric where each plant is to be planted and just dig the plant into the soil. When the fruit has appeared it is imperative to keep the fruit off the soil.

At the end of the growing season you should cover the plants with fleece to prevent wind blast etc. Then next year you can use the newer shoots for that years crops and so on.
Hope this helps.

unicorn
23-Apr-08, 15:03
My uncle used to grow them in a big barrel with holes drilled all down the sides to put the plants in, it worked well.

Dadie
23-Apr-08, 15:25
oh
I was just going to put them in tubs with pansys for some colour but i might put them in a trough by themselves now!

cockerel
23-Apr-08, 16:28
Last year I planted my strawberries in hanging baskets with great success. No slugs, plus no dirt. The kids had great fun "stealing " them.
The year before I bought one of these terracotta planters with holes all around. I didn't like it at all. I found it very difficult to water. If I used the hose, the soil used to fall out even though I had lined the holes with black plastic. Cheers

Dadie
23-Apr-08, 17:45
thanks for all the advice!
Will let you know the outcome later on in the year!