PDA

View Full Version : WHS Open Evening / How old are your bairns?

ocd
22-Apr-08, 21:44
So where were you all tonight?

I can honestly say 2 things shocked me tonight:

1st it was the poor turnout, with a school roll of more that 850 pupils the attendance tonight was terrible.

2nd the state of the school.... it is awful, I was depressed after the half hour tour. There is no way most adults would accept going to work in that sort of environment.

So come on Wick get behind this campaign!!!

miranda
22-Apr-08, 21:49
i agree ocd thought it was a poor turn out expected a lot more
The high school is in a horrendous state .We are putting our childrens health and well being at risk. we need to get something done now before its too late ..if thats the damage now ..imagine it in 5/10 years if nothing gets done ...a disaster waiting to happen.
Come on people get behind the campaign we need a new school!!!!

karia
22-Apr-08, 21:55
I don't live in Wick and I don't have kids who are, or will be going to Wick High School..but I have friends with families there and the evidence of the need for a new building is more than clear..even to us numpties outside of the situation.:(

lynne duncan
22-Apr-08, 22:02
every parent/ grandparent or any relative of a child who is currently using or will be using that DUMP that we call wick high school should have been forced to attend that meeting tonight, i am ashamed that they don't care to think about what our children are being physically and mentally forced to endure in these squalid buildings

they were looking tonight for a catchy acronym to front another campaign (oh a scary word - campaign is that what scared you lot off the thought that a bit of work might be involved so what)

heres one that someone said and i think that it was one of the pupils and boy! does it fit the bill D.U.M.P.
Don't Underestimate Motivated Parents

because that is what this will take but it does need the support of our community again
I think that the school is unsafe - the cracks in the main stairwell are huge the photos don't do them justice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that the school is breaking hygene rules the amount of toilets per amount of children is horribly small
the list is endless
but again if you haven't seen the presentation or been in the school in the last year then you really cannot comprehend how bad it is

top marks to the staff and everyone who has to work in this enviroment i take my hat off to you

Sapphire2803
22-Apr-08, 22:10
I didn't expect a packed house, but even I was surprised by just how few were actually there.
Come on people, we'll never get a new school just by grumbling about it on the org. :(

lynne duncan
22-Apr-08, 22:19
HOW OLD ARE YOU CHILDREN???
because if they are high school age or have just been born

not asking just parents but anyone who has any connection to a child who will have to use the wick high school facilities,

GET involved with the campaign to demand a new school

we went to the open evening tonight for a nosey to see for ourselves what our 3 kids who are 10 , 7 , and 4 will be going to!

horrified, disgusted and thoroughly shamed that this is the "choice" we have for sending our children to, as the lead speaker said tonight IF we were in the cities we could CHOOSE to send our kids else where and force the powers to be to improve the situation
however that option is not available but after seeing the volume of support for our Maternity unit, I know that we can support this equally well but EVERYONE must support it

balto
22-Apr-08, 22:25
banging your head on a brick wall springs to mind, i myself went to wick high and it was a dump then so god only knows the state it must be in now, as i live in thurso none of my kids will go there, but i truly support you cause, good luck with it.

karia
22-Apr-08, 22:30
Not just you lynne but anyone who has left the school and chooses to continue living in the area..

...that's where the next generation of orgers are destined to be educated.

Have yer say about wick High...and make sure it counts for the next generation.

unicorn
22-Apr-08, 22:40
As I say having seen it on the news today I was disgusted and would refuse to send my child to spend time in those conditions. All children deserve to learn in comfort and everyone should be able to work in a hygenic environment. Are the care commission the ruling body with high schools or just primary and nursery?

Boozeburglar
22-Apr-08, 22:48
How about just bussing them thru to Thurso?

:)

karia
22-Apr-08, 22:50

Or flying them doon til Snekkie!

What's yer point?

lynne duncan
22-Apr-08, 22:55
may be a case of pot calling the kettle black WHAT state of the thurso high in?

Boozeburglar
22-Apr-08, 23:04
Well I have hit the answer.

How about a huge great Caithness Academy, in Watten?

gollach
22-Apr-08, 23:35
Well I have hit the answer.

How about a huge great Caithness Academy, in Watten?

Didn't Gordon Campbell have that in his manifesto during the last election?
Or was it Halkirk?

trix
23-Apr-08, 00:27
geewhizz...just watched 'e link :eek:

'e place really is a dump eh?

somethin hes til be done lek, its depressin...

tear her doon i say....

the_count
23-Apr-08, 00:28
I can understand parents of children in the area wondering about the school in Wick. As my children are being educated in another county where there is a choice of schools (6 in their area) plus 3 private schools I checked the exam results for the schools and put my children into the best. The school i picked was unfortunately closed before my 3rd child could attend and was therefore sent to a different school (our second choice) and all three are receiving excellent schooling.
Up here it would be a different story as the schools in the area have very poor funding to cater for the scolastically bright or problem children. And the choice for schools up here is far more limited so parents have very little choice. As i understand it every council gets a set yearly funding for its education facilities or is it different up here? If they do get funding what happened to it?

Margaret M.
23-Apr-08, 04:05
If so few care, it is not surprising that the school has become so dilapidated. Very sad.

flyfifer
23-Apr-08, 07:58
[QUOTE=lynne duncan;376347]every parent/ grandparent or any relative of a child who is currently using or will be using that DUMP that we call wick high school should have been forced to attend that meeting tonight, i am ashamed that they don't care to think about what our children are being physically and mentally forced to endure in these squalid buildings

How can you assume that because some of us parents were not at the open night last night, that we do not care? I care very much, but I had a valid reason for not being there last night. So save your "shame" and apply it to your attitude!

I hope the meeting went well despite the turnout.

KCI
23-Apr-08, 08:27
I think it's a bit unfair to accuse parents of not caring, just because they didn't turn up last night.

I care about what happens with the school, but I couldn't go last night, and I did get in touch with someone involved with the campaign to wish them luck. I didn't have a babysitter, and it was suggested that I take my boy with me. I had planned to do this, but then he was playing up so much, that there was no way I could take him!

I'm very disappointed that I didn't make it to the school last night, and I am surprised to hear that there was such a low turnout. Maybe last night wasn't a good day for people to attend? I suppose people may have had work commitments etc that they couldn't avoid. It's a shame that there couldn't have been 2 open evenings, so then people like myself could have made the second one.

I understand how frustrating it is, to care so strongly about something, and to think that you are the only people who are taking it seriously. I hope the organisers of the campaign didn't feel too downhearted by the turn out, because other people do care about this campaign, and are behind it as much as they can be.

I'm sure everyone will agree that the community want a new High School, and will do what they can to get one. But I don't think it will help to come on here, accusing people of not caring, just because they didn't attend last night.

carasmam
23-Apr-08, 09:56
Well said flyfifer and KCI. I had other commitments last night that I couldn't get out of - doesn't mean I dont care though.

porshiepoo
23-Apr-08, 10:17
[quote=lynne duncan;376353]every parent/ grandparent or any relative of a child who is currently using or will be using that DUMP that we call wick high school should have been forced to attend that meeting tonight, i am ashamed that they don't care to think about what our children are being physically and mentally forced to endure in these squalid buildings

That's a tad harsh isn't it? What about those parents who couldn't make it due to work commitments or family priorities or prior engagements?

I guess I am one of the parents you refer to! I didn't attend the meeting and I have no intention of explaining why not. However both my girls attend Wick High and will be going into sixth form next year and I can honestly say that not once have either of my girls described Wick High as a dump.
I'm not suggesting that it doesn't have its defects - it clearly does - and they do need rectifying but please do not assume that all parents should have the time on their hands to attend meetings just because someone else has deemed them necessary. As far as I was aware this meeting was to give parents the opportunity to see the defects for themselves should they be able to attend - it was not compulsory and does not mean that I care any less for the safety of my children than anyone else who's child attends that school.

Venture
23-Apr-08, 10:22
We didn't expect the masses to turn out last night but the number that did was disappointing. Apart from the Parent Council Members, Staff and the Community Council we only had just over 20 parents. I knew some people couldn't attend for one reason or another like KCI who personally pledged her support to me and her apologies. I think it sometimes does put people off from attending meetings when you mention a campaign because they think they have to sit on a committee or the like. Maybe it would have been better to have asked folk just to look at the school and tell us that we were right in fighting for a new school. Nothing else. Who knows?

We had great support from those who did turn up and the majority of them have agreed to join the Action Group. This will allow us to take the campaign forward which was what we were looking for. The poor turnout hasn't deterred us one little bit if anything it has made those that are involved even more determined. One of the names that someone came up with is now very appropriate - Don't Underestimate Motivated Parents or
D.U.M.P.

People, particularly parents, do care. The petition is proof of this. Over 700 people have now signed and we can only hope that now the Action Group formalities are out of the way that many of them will come forward and SUPPORT us in anything we do in the fight for a new school. NAG had similar problems at the start too and look what they ended up achieving. Hopefully we will follow in their footsteps.

D.U.M.P.

Katy
23-Apr-08, 10:28
I used to go to Wick High and even tho my kids won't be going there I would still like to back everyone and would have liked to have gone last night myself to actually see the state of it. But like many others didn't have any childcare.
Wouldn't they be better having an open weekend?! I am sure over a weekend lots of people would go in and they would certainly get a bigger turn out rather than one evening. Just a thought!
Katy x

porshiepoo
23-Apr-08, 10:31
I guess the thing for me is that these defects have never been bought to my attention by either of my girls, in fact they really like the school.
It's an impressive looking building - from the outside - and it's a shame that these defects and problems haven't been put to rights well before now but I think a major problem for this campaign now is that it's not asking for funding for repairs, it's demanding a whole new school. Realistically, I think it'll be waiting years for that to happen, of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for it right now.
However just bear in mind that not every parent is going to have the resources to be able to do much more than put their signature to petitions and they should not have to explain themselves beforehand to you or to anyone else. It certainly doesn't mean either that those parents who don't attend care any less for the safety and wellbeing of their kids and IMO it might be beneficial if parents were not automatically crucified for not attending.

Venture
23-Apr-08, 10:48
I guess the thing for me is that these defects have never been bought to my attention by either of my girls, in fact they really like the school.
It's an impressive looking building - from the outside - and it's a shame that these defects and problems haven't been put to rights well before now but I think a major problem for this campaign now is that it's not asking for funding for repairs, it's demanding a whole new school. Realistically, I think it'll be waiting years for that to happen, of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for it right now.
However just bear in mind that not every parent is going to have the resources to be able to do much more than put their signature to petitions and they should not have to explain themselves beforehand to you or to anyone else. It certainly doesn't mean either that those parents who don't attend care any less for the safety and wellbeing of their kids and IMO it might be beneficial if parents were not automatically crucified for not attending.

I hope the "you" you are referring to is not the Parent Council or those involved in the Campaign and that you are replying to the opinion of posters on this thread. Please read my post above we have at NO time said the parents don't care.

TBH
23-Apr-08, 11:17
I know it may be a bit of a hassle but couldn't you have parents in at the weekend with staggered viewing times to try and accomodate as many parents as possible?

Venture
23-Apr-08, 12:04
Its certainly something we are going to have to look at.

nikki
23-Apr-08, 12:40
I think that the school is breaking hygene rules the amount of toilets per amount of children is horribly small

I remember when I was at the High School the only toilets open for girls to use was the ones at the bottom of the english stairs. thats 4 cubicles (i think) and if roughly half of the number of pupils are girls (not sure how right this is but using it as an example) then 425 people are having to share these 4 cubicles. I was late for class a few times because i had been waiting in the queue for the loo, then I got gurned at by the teacher for being late, she said i should go to the toilet in my own time, and wouldnt listen when i said that id tried. the tiolets were packed full of people, with barely any room to move!

karia
23-Apr-08, 12:54
Besides, if I lasted 6 years at that place in those conditions then so can everyone else.

That's a bit of an 'I'm alright Jack' approach is it not?:confused

It is also worth remembering that those conditions continue to deteriorate so those at the school now are already suffering worse conditions than you did.

Oh I see your post has disappeared Flair...have you decided to help the cause after all?

KCI
23-Apr-08, 13:07
I know it may be a bit of a hassle but couldn't you have parents in at the weekend with staggered viewing times to try and accomodate as many parents as possible?

I think an Open Day during the weekend would be good, but would enough people turn up to make it worthwhile?

I know that if there was another chance to see the School on a Saturday during the day, I would certainly go. Would anyone else be more inclined to visit the school at the weekend?

ocd
23-Apr-08, 13:40
I am beginning to regret joining the org. :mad:

Can I just say that I did not start this thread to "slag" people nor did I expect it to turn in to the playground fight that it seems to be heading towards!

IMO lots of people don't attend these sort of events because they think there will be others who will fight, but these fights are not won overnight. It takes a lot of hard work and the more people to "share the load" the easier the battle.

As one person pointed out last night you don't need to be able to attend all meetings etc, you don't need to be able to speak publicly. There are going to be many tasks over the coming months that everyone could participate in, e.g. making/distributing posters, fundraising, etc.

So lets stop the arguing amongst ourselves and stop taking things personally and get behind the campaign!

Venture
23-Apr-08, 15:59
The way forward:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7362924.stm

rfr10
23-Apr-08, 16:04
May be worth taking the issue with the school to Highland Youth Voice - Schools Campaign Group who may be of some help.

They had their meeting on Saturday along with members of the Executive Committee. The state of school buildings was noted as a main issue and it will be included in the groups manifesto. The group agreed though that not much action could be taken to resolve this issue as many of the Highland Schools are in line up to be rebuilt/ done up and maybe it's just a case of having to wait in line for it to be our turn?

cd1977
23-Apr-08, 16:44
Some people certainly seem to feel very strongly about this, which maybe scares off your average member of the public from attending. Apart from the swimming pool being out of use, I dont think any of the other defects are a detriment to achieving a good education. They might, however, serve as a good excuse for poor results.

The problem with these "campaigns" is that, more often than not, they are hijacked by the do-gooder brigade. That can be off-putting, to say the least.

dirdyweeker
23-Apr-08, 21:20
They may not be detrimental to achieving good results but...............will the school in its present state still be standing in years to come. If action is not taken now we may not have have future academics. I was at this open night last night which (shoot me down in flames if wished) I too agree was extremely poorly attended. There are 800 + pupils, 10 feeder primaries and were roughly 45 visitors in attendance.

Thank God for such good teachers. Who else would want to work in such an environment. The results are 1st class compared to the surroundings.
If ( as CD1977 suggests) the 'do-gooder brigade' can be off putting, well I for one will give them my backing to press forward with their campaign.
Good luck to you all.......and count me in!!!! (do not worry, I have offered my help officially!)

Whitewater
24-Apr-08, 00:18
ocd, well done for starting this thread, don't be put off by people bickering, everybody has their reasons for attending the public meeting or not. Many people are aware of the state of WHS, and I'm sure that should a campaign get underway it will receive a lot of good support from most of the people who have children attending, but were not at the meeting.

I think that perhaps a new school is out of reach at the moment. Where would the funding come from? but I'm sure that if the case for urgent repairs were to be put forward it would have a better chance of obtaining funding for smaller chunks of work/repairs in a progressive manner. However, having said that, a new modern school should not be forgotten about, as it is the future of the town, and its slowly, but steadily growing population.

trix
24-Apr-08, 00:18
'e thing is asweel...

weik high school hes bin a DUMP for many years now, a long time...

its a guid thing that people lek yersel - venture - hes actually picked up on these facts an' demanded that somethin be done aboot'ed...

respect ma friend ;)

power to the people :cool:

Venture
24-Apr-08, 02:16
Some people certainly seem to feel very strongly about this, which maybe scares off your average member of the public from attending. Apart from the swimming pool being out of use, I dont think any of the other defects are a detriment to achieving a good education. They might, however, serve as a good excuse for poor results.

The problem with these "campaigns" is that, more often than not, they are hijacked by the do-gooder brigade. That can be off-putting, to say the least.

As a parent and grandparent shame on me for over-reacting to the fact that pupils and staff have to put up with being in a school that has been described as "Dickensian". And imagine me even thinking that leaking roofs, asbestos, overheated or freezing classrooms, a shortage of toilets, social areas and canteen facilities, no drinking water, structural defects, falling tiles and cladding, crumbling walls and a pool closed for health and safety reasons could in any way affect the pupils education. After all these are the type of conditions that are the norm in any workplace.......NOT.

I don't think it is so unreasonable to expect, and try to provide, a school that our community can be proud of and one that is fit for the 21st century.
This is about the people of Wick trying to achieve a common goal and the word 'campaign', perfectly describes our intentions. Who exactly are the do-gooder brigade? The people involved in this 'campaign' perhaps? We are not trying to force our opinions on anyone and the point of the meeting was to allow people to see first-hand, the state of the building our children are being educated in. By doing this we hoped it would encourage more people to become involved to help us bring the campaign forward. Despite a low turnout we achieved this and an official Action Group can now be set up to take over from the Parent Council.

Your reasons behind posting such a scathing and in my opinion uncalled for statement, totally escape me.

Margaret M.
24-Apr-08, 03:57
The problem with these "campaigns" is that, more often than not, they are hijacked by the do-gooder brigade.

I would rather see it hijacked by the "do-gooders" than by the "do-nothingers".

Venture
24-Apr-08, 11:05
I would rather see it hijacked by the "do-gooders" than by the "do-nothingers".

I certainly agree with you on that one Margaret M.;)

cd1977
24-Apr-08, 11:58
The campaign will never be in any danger of hijack by the "do-nothingers", whoever they may be. Not really the point I was making.

I am attempting to give a possible reason for the low turnout. The sheer zeal of those at the forefront of this campaign, as can be seen from the various threads on here over the last couple of months, can be off-putting for those who perhaps dont feel quite so vehement on the issues raised, hence the non-attendance on the night. This is not to say that this "silent majority" do not support the overall aim of improving the school facilities.

Margaret M.
24-Apr-08, 14:26
I am attempting to give a possible reason for the low turnout. The sheer zeal of those at the forefront of this campaign, as can be seen from the various threads on here over the last couple of months, can be off-putting for those who perhaps dont feel quite so vehement on the issues raised, hence the non-attendance on the night. This is not to say that this "silent majority" do not support the overall aim of improving the school facilities.

I would certainly hope that those at the forefront have strong feelings about the condition of the school otherwise nothing will ever get done. How motivated leaders can be off-putting and the reason for low attendance is beyond me. Naw, I suspect the reason for the low turnout is the usual -- too many are quite content to sit back and leave it to others to get the job done. It is the same everywhere.

Margaret M.
24-Apr-08, 14:32
It's an impressive looking building - from the outside - and it's a shame that these defects and problems haven't been put to rights well before now

I so agree -- the old part is beautiful and I hope it will always remain in use.

Sapphire2803
24-Apr-08, 14:34
I so agree -- the old part is beautiful and I hope it will always remain in use.
I think so too, shame about the buildings they hid behind it :eek:

Venture
24-Apr-08, 15:12
The campaign will never be in any danger of hijack by the "do-nothingers", whoever they may be. Not really the point I was making.

I take it to mean that Im the "those" you are referring to. Yes I do admit to being enthusiastic in my approach to the campaign for a new school. Id say having spent the vast majority of my time over the past 5 months attending meetings, touring the school, telephoning newspapers, tv companies and MSP's, sending hundreds of emails, gathering information or reading endless documents and oh, can't forget, trying to get the message across on caithness.org, is proof of that. According to you its been a waste of time as all it has done is put people off. Where is your evidence of this?

I would define a campaign as being a vigorous concerted effort to accomplish a purpose. What's your definition? I shall make no apologies for being over enthusiastic and shall continue to do so. I would rather be labled as one of the "enthusiastic minority" than to be one of the "silent majority". Its not in my nature to be silent - you aint heard nothing yet!

D.U.M.P.

Venture
24-Apr-08, 15:26

Any new school would more than likely be built behind the present one. There is sufficient land to accommodate it. I can assure you that the present frontage will most definitely remain as it is and that part of the building will be improved upon and used for another purpose.

cd1977
24-Apr-08, 15:26
I'm sorry?

No, the reference was not about you in particular. But with every word you type you are only really re-inforcing my original point.

In fact, you are scaring me.

Penelope Pitstop
24-Apr-08, 15:44

Don't think it's much better...it's a dump too.

Do schools get any budget for repairs or is it all done centrally through Highland Council?

Venture
24-Apr-08, 15:57
Don't think it's much better...it's a dump too.

Do schools get any budget for repairs or is it all done centrally through Highland Council?
Schools get there own maintenance budget which is controlled by the rector but its buttons. Its mainly used for things like decoration etc. though in the case of Wick the rector used nearly of his budget for the year on a much needed boys toilet. The fabric of the building is the responsibility of the landlord which is HRC. Having been in both schools Wick is worse than Thurso. Thurso have social areas, more toilets and less fabric problems with it being a younger school and they could do with a new hall and canteen,. They have just had refurbishments done but only at a cost of just over a million. Unfortunately you dont get much done for that amount and more work is needed but not nearly as much as Wick.

Venture
24-Apr-08, 16:29
I'm sorry?

No, the reference was not about you in particular. But with every word you type you are only really re-inforcing my original point.

In fact, you are scaring me.

I thought for a minute that was an apology till I noticed the question mark.

Maybe you're right best not to be too enthusiastic - I might "scare" the powers that be into giving us a new school!!!!!

cd1977
24-Apr-08, 16:42
Ach, dinna take it to heart, I'm only winding you up. I do support the ethos of the campaign.

Lash at it.

Venture
24-Apr-08, 16:51
Ach, dinna take it to heart, I'm only winding you up. I do support the ethos of the campaign.

Lash at it.

[lol] Trying to make out you're winding me up - more like you're giving up. [lol]

blackcat
24-Apr-08, 16:52
Any new school would more than likely be built behind the present one. There is sufficient land to accommodate it. I can assure you that the present frontage will most definitely remain as it is and that part of the building will be improved upon and used for another purpose.

Turn into Council Offices?!

LENSMAN
24-Apr-08, 17:28
I attended the open night and was surprised at the state of the buildings both structurally and decoratively.
I have 2 kids attending it and haven't had any complaints from them, I suspect they, as everyone else just get on with it and make do with what they get. As Ronnie pointed out there isn't any graffiti so the kids do have a certain respect for the place
From a safety point of view the cracks in the maths block look extremely scary especially as they are on load bearing walls and checks for asbestos was mentioned in the new block.
Also mentioned was that the school isn't designed for the number of pupils.
Surely all these points are Health and Safety matters, independant surveys required not council funded.
As a publicity stunt why not get the kids to go on strike?
We went on strike for the cleaners when I was a pupil.
After their exams of course.

Venture
24-Apr-08, 20:06
I attended the open night and was surprised at the state of the buildings both structurally and decoratively.
I have 2 kids attending it and haven't had any complaints from them, I suspect they, as everyone else just get on with it and make do with what they get. As Ronnie pointed out there isn't any graffiti so the kids do have a certain respect for the place
From a safety point of view the cracks in the maths block look extremely scary especially as they are on load bearing walls and checks for asbestos was mentioned in the new block.
Also mentioned was that the school isn't designed for the number of pupils.
Surely all these points are Health and Safety matters, independant surveys required not council funded.
As a publicity stunt why not get the kids to go on strike?
We went on strike for the cleaners when I was a pupil.
After their exams of course.

Im sure the pupils would be more than willing to go on strike. Anytime.:lol:

unicorn
24-Apr-08, 20:49
I would think a strike or parents refusing to allow their children to use an unsafe building would be just the push needed.

karia
24-Apr-08, 21:43
... leaking roofs, asbestos, overheated or freezing classrooms, a shortage of toilets, social areas and canteen facilities, no drinking water, structural defects, falling tiles and cladding, crumbling walls and a pool closed for health and safety reasons ...

Any building with that amount of problems would appear to be quite possibly dangerous and at very least unlikely to be "fit for purpose". Perhaps the Building Control section or Environmental Health department of Highland Council could be invited to inspect the premises. Highland Council surely have an obligation to apply their risk management policy to all premises under their control, preferably before any legal action for injuries.

Venture
24-Apr-08, 21:59
Any building with that amount of problems would appear to be quite possibly dangerous and at very least unlikely to be "fit for purpose". Perhaps the Building Control section or Environmental Health department of Highland Council could be invited to inspect the premises. Highland Council surely have an obligation to apply their risk management policy to all premises under their control, preferably before any legal action for injuries.

According to the rector Karia a Health and Safety inspection was carried out on behalf of Highland Council in I think it was Dec/Jan time. Full report has not been made available yet. When we have asked questions about various health risks we're being told that certain rules dont apply in schools. You would never expect 420 employees to share 2 sets of toilet facilities in a workplace but apparently they can get away with it in schools. Totally ridiculous. There is no drinking water available for pupils either. It cant be drunk because its disgusting. There is one fountain that dosent work properly. Kids have to buy water if they want any. The list is endless.

karia
24-Apr-08, 22:16
According to the rector Karia a Health and Safety inspection was carried out on behalf of Highland Council in I think it was Dec/Jan time. Full report has not been made available yet. When we have asked questions about various health risks we're being told that certain rules dont apply in schools. You would never expect 420 employees to share 2 sets of toilet facilities in a workplace but apparently they can get away with it in schools. Totally ridiculous. There is no drinking water available for pupils either. It cant be drunk because its disgusting. There is one fountain that dosent work properly. Kids have to buy water if they want any. The list is endless.

Hi Venture,

Good to see they're complying with the inspection regime. Pity they can't make the report available. Of course it will be a public document. Try a written request to the rector for a copy of the report under the Freedom of Information Act. This should work, unless of course, different rules apply to schools. These different rules sound like the old Crown Immunity defence used by hospitals and the like in the past. Many of the premises to which Crown Immunity applied have had it removed. I'm not certain about schools, but your Environmental Health department should be able to confirm.

All the best

Kariax

lynne duncan
24-Apr-08, 22:21
for those that took umbrage at my viewpoint they didn't care by not being present, yes i can accept that you couldn't manage due to your circumstances but i am sure that you will be supporting the need to improve the enviroment that the children are taught in!
at the time i wrote the posts i was het up at the state of the building - but i make no apologies for this, but as can be seen from the success of the NAG people power does work. And that means that whoever is involved in this campaign must be able to motivate the community to be able in the future to attend meetings - strikes, whatever is required to allow our children to be taught in a school which is fit for 2008+ and not for 1960-

folks that couldn't make the open evening - ask to be shown around !

dirdyweeker
25-Apr-08, 00:33
Hi Venture,

Good to see they're complying with the inspection regime. Pity they can't make the report available. Of course it will be a public document. Try a written request to the rector for a copy of the report under the Freedom of Information Act. This should work, unless of course, different rules apply to schools. These different rules sound like the old Crown Immunity defence used by hospitals and the like in the past. Many of the premises to which Crown Immunity applied have had it removed. I'm not certain about schools, but your Environmental Health department should be able to confirm.

All the best

Kariax

Rector said at open evening the report is not yet available in written form. Perhaps we could hope this means there were so many faults found that they are still busy writing it! We wish.........

Flair
25-Apr-08, 11:05
If I was able to go through six years in those conditions then so can everyone else. I think people are starting to make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to this.

karia
25-Apr-08, 11:20
If I was able to go through six years in those conditions then so can everyone else. I think people are starting to make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to this.

Yes, you already said that yesterday on the WHS/how old are your bairns thread and when I answered you, you deleted your post rather than answer me.

Sapphire2803
25-Apr-08, 11:59

If only people had taken that attitude to children being sent up chimneys, I wouldn't have to pay for someone to clean mine...

Venture
26-Apr-08, 12:49

.....so we can look forward to you attending the first Action Group meeting then Flair?

Moi x
27-Apr-08, 01:18
If I was able to go through six years in those conditions then so can everyone else.How long ago was that and how much has the school deteriorated in the intervening years?

I can't speak for others but I am more motivated when my working conditions are good. I would expect teachers and pupils to react similarly.

Anyway, it's not as if the school is flying high in the school league tables (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/education?articleid=4007508) that were published this week. WHS was:

305th out of 359 in the Standard Grade tables,
269th out of 349 in the Higher tables.It's interesting to note that most of the top ten schools in the Standard Grade tables are in the Highlands and Islands, so remoteness may not be a factor.

Moi x

Flair
28-Apr-08, 08:57
Yes, you already said that yesterday on the WHS/how old are your bairns thread and when I answered you, you deleted your post rather than answer me.

Actually I decided to delete it right after I posted it since I decided not to say anything. Had I known people were replying I would've left it where it was.

Venture
28-Apr-08, 11:04
Actually I decided to delete it right after I posted it since I decided not to say anything. Had I known people were replying I would've left it where it was.

So what is your answer.

Flair
28-Apr-08, 11:23
So what is your answer.

What answer?

TBH
28-Apr-08, 11:35
What answer?Are you going to the fag meeting?

Venture
28-Apr-08, 11:43
That's a bit of an 'I'm alright Jack' approach is it not?:confused

It is also worth remembering that those conditions continue to deteriorate so those at the school now are already suffering worse conditions than you did.

Oh I see your post has disappeared Flair...have you decided to help the cause after all?

The answer to this.

Flair
28-Apr-08, 11:45
Are you going to the fag meeting?

Oh... you mean that was a serious question?