PDA

View Full Version : A Thread About Thread Starters

wifie
21-Apr-08, 10:08
Why do so many Thread Starters never give their own opinion on the given subject before asking for everyone else's opinion? Are they waiting to see which side of the fence they wish to be on or do they merely not have an opinion? I do not have an opinion on this - I am just curious!

karia
21-Apr-08, 10:37
Why do so many Thread Starters never give their own opinion on the given subject before asking for everyone else's opinion? Are they waiting to see which side of the fence they wish to be on or do they merely not have an opinion? I do not have an opinion on this - I am just curious!

Perhaps they do not wish to affect the responses by making it a personal 'do you agree/disagree with me' situation at the outset.
That is certainly why I do it on the occasions I do..and I don't think anyone could accuse me of 'not having an opinion' or 'sitting on the fence';)

Julia
21-Apr-08, 10:40
Probably cos they get shot down in flames for having an opinion

TBH
21-Apr-08, 10:44
Why do so many Thread Starters never give their own opinion on the given subject before asking for everyone else's opinion? Are they waiting to see which side of the fence they wish to be on or do they merely not have an opinion? I do not have an opinion on this - I am just curious!Sometimes if you start a debate you offer up the subject matter and if people find it interesting enough, they will post their own opinions. Maybe it is a subject you are in two minds about and need confirmation of your own thoughts. I don't think it really matters if you wade in with your thoughts straight away or wait until you see what other people think about it.

Dadie
21-Apr-08, 13:19
with me its because i dont want to be shot down in flames before the subject is at least starting to be discussed
even though it still happens....even if you dont give your opinion some people make it up for you and slate you for it

Flair
21-Apr-08, 13:23

I know I've been there before.

joxville
21-Apr-08, 17:36

I find more and more these days you're not allowed to have an opinion. Too many people go on the defensive if you disagree with them that sometimes it's not worth the hassle voicing what you think.

percy toboggan
21-Apr-08, 18:54
So , a thread by someone without an opinon on those threaders that don't have opinions !...or at least prefer to keep schtum 'til they know which way the winds blowin' Made me smile but there is a point here...
I quite like being 'shot down in flames' it doesn't hurt and merely spurs me on to find a better retort...if I can't then I'll hold me hands up and take it on the chin like. A bad reaction is better than no reaction at all. Of course it's good to get agreement, and abit of feedback but...
It's all a bit of fun really isn't it...when there's nowt on telly, or it's chuckin' it down. I mean who really gives a fig for my opinion on owt. Others would do well to think in a similar vein, and not take things too seriously.

So, stop sitting on the fence and follow your instincts...weigh in with the full weight of your opinion safe in the knowledge that no beggars taking much notice anyway, the hostile are just sounding off in the same way you are....probably gave 'em summat to do.

bobandag16
21-Apr-08, 18:56
it is called feeling the water do not put your foot in it you could be burnt . in thurso taken by sharks.

percy toboggan
21-Apr-08, 19:01
I'd add that my post above applies more to controversial topics than conversational ones. I posted such a thread yesterday and was gratified by the repsonses....job done , I deleted it...thanks to all who took the time.

squidge
21-Apr-08, 19:27
In the past i have started a thread with a simple question precisely because i havent a fixed idea about the subject, sometimes i want more information, sometimes i want to hear both sides before i make my mind up, sometimes i simply want to understand why some people feel a particular way about a subject when i dont feel the same,or why people are so passionate about something when it seems trivial to me. I think its valid to be objective when opening a subject.