PDA

View Full Version : Abuse of Helicopters!

JamesMcVean
21-Apr-08, 10:06
Hear the news this morning...

Prince William has been accused of using RAF Helicopter to land in a field next to his Girlfriend's home...The Mod say it is good training...Do you think a Normal RAF Helicopter chappy would get away with it??? I think NOT!

LOL

wifie
21-Apr-08, 10:10
Maybe they would but it just would not get reported in the press!

JamesMcVean
21-Apr-08, 10:17
I work offshore and have done the HDA Helideck Assistant Training...We had a pilot come offshore and give us a course showing the EXACTING C.A.A. procedures they had to follow when Taking off and Landing on Rigs and at Airports...It is VERY STRICT

Riffman
21-Apr-08, 10:31
But thankfully when it comes to private premises, all you need is permission from the land owner and you can set the bird down fine.

Heck, if you had a chopper would you not land it in your girlfriends back garden? I damn well would [lol]

the_count
21-Apr-08, 10:51
i'm of the same mindset Riffman, but i'm looking at teleport systems lol i want instant travel hehehehe. Beam me up scotty! :lol: :lol:

TBH
21-Apr-08, 10:52
At £15,000 per hour just to impress his girlfriend I can see why there is such an uproar. No other trainee pilot would be allowed to do this so why set a bad example by letting Prince do this?

Torvaig
21-Apr-08, 10:59
When my grannie died, an RAF member of the family flew up from the south of Englandshire to Wick for her funeral.....I presume they were doing exercises anyway; we didn't even question it! Just grateful that he made it...

I presume that the Prince was on exercise as well or "putting in the hours" as they call it, so the aircraft would have been flying anyway and he just made it work for him. :lol:

TBH
21-Apr-08, 11:05
When my grannie died, an RAF member of the family flew up from the south of Englandshire to Wick for her funeral.....I presume they were doing exercises anyway; we didn't even question it! Just grateful that he made it...

I presume that the Prince was on exercise as well or "putting in the hours" as they call it, so the aircraft would have been flying anyway and he just made it work for him. :lol:It's an an absolute disgrace and an abuse of taxpayers money, then again his whole family are a waste of space.

Riffman
21-Apr-08, 11:16
I have to disagree TBH. The fact is he can fly them, you can't.

To me, that is money well spent. [lol]

Besides, if he only gets to practise at airports, where will they learn to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzCXCGXItI

TBH
21-Apr-08, 11:25
I have to disagree TBH. The fact is he can fly them, you can't.

To me, that is money well spent. [lol]

Besides, if he only gets to practise at airports, where will they learn to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzCXCGXItI (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzCXCGXItI)It's money well spent because he can fly a chinook and I can't? There's veiled logic in there somewhere. Well done.[lol]

Metalattakk
21-Apr-08, 11:45
It's not just royalty that does this sort of thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4245723.stm

MadPict
21-Apr-08, 13:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzCXCGXItI

Handy for picking up Kate's shopping...[lol]

ocd
21-Apr-08, 13:33
I seem to remember a guy from up this way, David Bouac or something his name was, doing exactly the same thing when he got his "wings". I am sure it was reported in the John O'Groat Journal at the time.

I am not pro-royalty but sometimes people jump on the band wagon just because of who they are!

northener
21-Apr-08, 19:11
It's a lot of hype over nothing.

Talk to anyone who's spent any time in military or aviation circles and you'll soon realise how common 'borrowing' an aircraft for a detour is for jaunts like this. Doing a quick detour to impress your girlfirend/wife/kids/mum is nothing new and is almost expected.

Ever seen any WWII films where the pilot manages to take a detour and do a quick victory roll in the ol' Spit or Hurry over the girls house? So it's been going on for years.

Happens all the time. Big deal.

I have to go, I've got a Tornado dropping off a curry at the house in 5 minutes......

percy toboggan
21-Apr-08, 19:29
For as long as we have the anachronism of a Royal family we will have to put up with antics of this sort from the younger, more arrogant members.
They do not seem to care what impression this creates amongst their subjects.
When one considers the alternatives I think the Royals are acceptable...for a while yet...although stunts like this do tend to stick in my craw.
Nil illigitimi carborundum sub.

MGB1979
21-Apr-08, 19:50
Typical media hype, this happens all the time, even, as someone correctly pointed out, by a brave chap from this very county.

These boys are out dropping Democracy on dangerous countries, risking their lives, who are we to grudge them a wee shotty of the hardware? We'd all do it.

Tristan
21-Apr-08, 19:59

I am sure they do, I guess the difference is how the individuals are treated.

From that article:

A spokesman [from The Ministry of Defence] said: "The chain of command doesn't condone these sorts of actions. The individuals have been disciplined."

Funny how they took a very different tone when it came to the prince.

It is not what they have done it is how they are treated afterwards - seems it pays to be royalty.

golach
21-Apr-08, 20:05

And these airmen too

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/RAF-pilot-who-39buzzed39-Open.3985042.jp?CommentPage=1&CommentPageLength=1000

bobandag16
21-Apr-08, 20:16
Hear the news this morning...

Prince William has been accused of using RAF Helicopter to land in a field next to his Girlfriend's home...The Mod say it is good training...Do you think a Normal RAF Helicopter chappy would get away with it??? I think NOT!

LOL
yes called bending the the rules to meet the situation, long before spin doctors.

DeHaviLand
21-Apr-08, 20:54
Oh no, not the indignation of the ever-so-righteous.[evil]

Cant you people get a grip of yourselves? Prince William had permission to land this helicopter on a piece of private land as part of a training exercise. No-one left the helicopter, no-one got on it. And as for him being arrogant, thats not a trait I have ever heard attributed to him before.

But the good news is, if this is all you have to worry about, your lives must be damn perfect[disgust]

TBH
21-Apr-08, 21:08
Maybe next time he can borrow his brothers nazi uniform for a sortie.[lol]

percy toboggan
21-Apr-08, 21:13
Oh no, not the indignation of the ever-so-righteous.[evil]

Cant you people get a grip of yourselves? Prince William had permission to land this helicopter on a piece of private land as part of a training exercise. No-one left the helicopter, no-one got on it. And as for him being arrogant, thats not a trait I have ever heard attributed to him before.

But the good news is, if this is all you have to worry about, your lives must be damn perfect[disgust]

s'funny..this is the only self-righteous post I've read on this subject...maybe this too is a matter of opinion, rather than 'worry'

JimH
22-Apr-08, 00:07
Maybe next time he can borrow his brothers nazi uniform for a sortie.[lol]
Now who is being daft.
Whilst I appreciate you are free to think what you will, I shudder to imagine this Free country under President Brown or Salmon or whoever.
Leave the Royals alone - they cannot fight back - or maybe thats what makes it easy.

jay
22-Apr-08, 07:15
according to a very small story in the national press yesterday, the helicopter was on a routine training mission, was fully staffed and was looking for a field to set down in for practice, Prince William, phoned and asked permission to use his girlfiends parents property, the helicopter was set down and took off again almost immediately to carry on with further training - I can see no misuse of public funding - what i do find amazing is the time the media have spent on this when there is much more happening in the world that is of far more importance

TBH
22-Apr-08, 11:23
Now who is being daft.
Whilst I appreciate you are free to think what you will, I shudder to imagine this Free country under President Brown or Salmon or whoever.
Leave the Royals alone - they cannot fight back - or maybe thats what makes it easy.I should have said he could always get a loan of a luftwaffe uniform.
It would make you shudder to imagine Great Britain as a republic and are quite happy for an unelected head of state and their family to be recieving exorbitant amounts of taxpayers money? The royal family have no place in modern society except maybe as an exhibit of a past era, purely for our entertainment. I am sure they would get lots of people that would pay to go and see them in their natural environment. They could have their own tv program like the Osbornes, 'Meet the Royals', now that would be entertaining.

dook
22-Apr-08, 18:18
I use to take the works helicopter home all the time. Brilliant for hanging out the washing and chopping carrots etc.

JimH
22-Apr-08, 20:00
I should have said he could always get a loan of a luftwaffe uniform.
It would make you shudder to imagine Great Britain as a republic and are quite happy for an unelected head of state and their family to be recieving exorbitant amounts of taxpayers money? The royal family have no place in modern society except maybe as an exhibit of a past era, purely for our entertainment. I am sure they would get lots of people that would pay to go and see them in their natural environment. They could have their own tv program like the Osbornes, 'Meet the Royals', now that would be entertaining.
I appreciate that your avatar is very true???
I would sooner pay for them and peace, than the alternative, and yes, I have seen the alternative, and so have the people of Zimbabwe and many other dictatorships.

TBH
22-Apr-08, 21:41
I appreciate that your avatar is very true???The avatar is a bit of fun, that's all.
[quote=JimH;376265I would sooner pay for them and peace, than the alternative, and yes, I have seen the alternative, and so have the people of Zimbabwe and many other dictatorships.[/quote]I understand the reason for your fears but I doubt if what you predict will ever come to pass.