PDA

View Full Version : Would you?

ciderally
19-Apr-08, 17:23
thinking of advertising free accomadation here in my home, in return for looking after my dogs for a couple of weeks, rather than put them in kennels,
am i asking for trouble? what do you think? your input would help me decide so be honest...thanks

tisme
19-Apr-08, 17:26
Wow that is a wee bit risky i would have thought. Could you not pay someone to come in, or take them for a fortnight? I know ther are good people out there who would love to do that, but I would be to scared.

TBH
19-Apr-08, 17:29
You are thinking about giving free accomodation to persons unknown who may or may not look after your pets the way you would like them to?
Naaaaaaaah.

percy toboggan
19-Apr-08, 17:33
If you want to attract vagrants go ahead!
What other kind of folk would need a roof for just two weeks?

Those looking for some personal space away from loved ones perhaps...
itinerant crop-pickers...paraffin lamps...

I's not give this idea house room...it's barking if you ask me.Call the kennels and book 'em in !

p.s. if you know and trust the person then obviously that's different.

Oddquine
19-Apr-08, 17:36
I'd think it OK if you can get an orger who you could trash on here if they fell down in their duties.

Otherwise...no strangers, imo.

TBH
19-Apr-08, 17:37
I'd think it OK if you can get an orger who you could trash on here if they fell down in their duties.

Otherwise...no strangers, imo.As long as Ciderally is paying for the ticket to Espana.

ciderally
19-Apr-08, 17:44
If you want to attract vagrants go ahead!
What other kind of folk would need a roof for just two weeks?

Those looking for some personal space away from loved ones perhaps...
itinerant crop-pickers...paraffin lamps...

I's not give this idea house room...it's barking if you ask me.Call the kennels and book 'em in !

p.s. if you know and trust the person then obviously that's different.

well it wouldent just be a roof...cost blanca beach 2 mins away...private pool...tapas bars near by...

but i know what you mean everyone...not one of my better ideas..thank you..start looking at kennels me thinks...

percy toboggan
19-Apr-08, 17:48
[quote=ciderally;375132]well it wouldent just be a roof...cost blanca beach 2 mins away...private pool...tapas bars near by...

quote]
whats the address and when are you going? ;)
Tapas? Cassette Tapas? any Bachelors, Matt Munro or Milligan and Nesbit?
(he joked)
:D

unicorn
19-Apr-08, 17:49
There you go problem solved free holiday accomodation to an orger for the same 2 weeks.

unicorn
19-Apr-08, 18:04
No congrats needed please it is not the first time so no big deal.
Any takers on the holiday then? If you come to Caithness it could be one of those house swap holidays.

Ricco
19-Apr-08, 20:47
I reallt, really, REALLY wouldn't advise that. My brother did it and came back to an empty flat... they even took his cats.

binbob
19-Apr-08, 21:35
thinking of advertising free accomadation here in my home, in return for looking after my dogs for a couple of weeks, rather than put them in kennels,
am i asking for trouble? what do you think? your input would help me decide so be honest...thanks

please book the dogs into kennels...much safer all round...

karia
19-Apr-08, 21:37
I reallt, really, REALLY wouldn't advise that. My brother did it and came back to an empty flat... they even took his cats.

They weren't all bad then!:D

I will get ma coat.:roll:

ciderally
19-Apr-08, 21:42
ah thanks everyone...has made me think twice aout it..will go for the kennel option

MadPict
19-Apr-08, 21:57
Over the past years we have had friends house sit our dog/s and have certainly had no worries or trouble with doing so. I wouldn't be so keen on advertising for a stranger to do it though.

If your dogs are happy to go into a kennel and you know of one where they will be well cared for then it's not really an issue.

EDDIE
19-Apr-08, 22:41
Its one thing letting a close relative or friend live in your when ure away but to let a stranger thats crazy.
put the dogs in a kennel as much as you love them u shouldnt let them rule your life style it will do the dogs no harm going into a kennell for a week or 2 and who nos they might see it as a holiday at least buy putting them in a kennell u will have peace of mind that there looked after properly by trained staff.

unicorn
19-Apr-08, 22:43
Just remember to give the kennels a surprise and unexpected visit before using them to be sure of their standards.

Fran
20-Apr-08, 01:44
If it meant I could stay in Spain for 2 weeks I would certainly look after your pets!! Seriously, there are petsitter organisations but dont know if they would go abroad.Do you not know anyone in Britain that you could trust to go over and stay in your house while you are away. It can be very difficult, I cant even find anyone here in wick to look after my dog occasionally, just now and then. If I cant get someone here what chance do you have there!!!!!

bluebell
20-Apr-08, 02:06
Hi there friend so your planning a trip coming over here to sunny wick:lol: if you got someone local here that you knew there shouldn't be a problem,I'd do it if I was free:~( what with your extended family surly there is somebody who would love a fortnight away.....

horseman
20-Apr-08, 02:52
Hello lovely trusting ciderally, we find our best bet is to rope in somone in the family.In our case Nathan-smashing lad-one of our g-sons, super with all the animals an house trained to. He would love a fortnight in spain-but short of that -don't even dream of it cinders' hope you all end up getting a fine holiday:)

golach
20-Apr-08, 10:08
A few years ago, I was going on holiday, and I heard of a .Orger living in a leaky tent in a caravan park in Edinburgh, she got the keys to my house, and did a good job of looking after it for me and Mrs G, admittedly she is family [lol]

ciderally
20-Apr-08, 18:19
thanks all....kennels it is

Dadie
21-Apr-08, 14:38
would you really want strangers going through your drawers and personal belongings ... i wouldnt even like my mother to do that (and i have nothing to hide) its just a bit to much of an invasion of privacy I think plus how would you feel if something got broken...or the dog escapes/has an accident ..

eek

doesnt bear thinking about in my book

bekisman
21-Apr-08, 17:06
We did a similar thing when we had free-range hens, obviously 'someone' had to be here to look after them, as it was difficult for us to get away from a break or whatever. So we invited 'long-time friends' to come up and have a free holiday, looking after the hens; collecting their eggs and ensuring they had water and feed.. and at times taking the eggs around to some of the locals - we did this on a couple of occasions..
One pair were from Southend on Sea and when they were here for a couple of days they had a dozen eggs to take to (we'll call her Morag) so they dutifully knocked on the old lady's door, she appeared and our stand-in friends explained they were looking after our hens whilst we were away..
Well the old dear invited them in and began asking them where they were from (like you do).. so thinking that the old lady might not know where Southend was, said 'London'. Well the old girl thought for a while and said "Donnie's moved down there, you might have seen him; he's got black curly hair" The two friends thought for a bit and replied no they were afraid they had not met him.. aint that sweet?

But returning to the Thread; not unless they were trusted friends...