PDA

View Full Version : Car machine thingie

porshiepoo
18-Apr-08, 19:45
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of those car computer thingies?
My friend has a Peugeot that developed a problem after Peugeot had put it on their computer machine thingie to source an airbag fault.
My question is, would the fuse box lead be disconnected before it's put on the machine?
My friends car lost all power and shut itself off on the way home from Peugeot at Inverness, he's been without the car for 3 weeks now - it's been sat outside his house after being towed home while he argues back and forth with Peugeot, trading standards etc etc.
He decided today to just have a check of a few things (not mechanically minded though) and it would seem that the lead that goes to the fuse box had been put back over the pin but the nut hadn't been put back on, hence it shut down after leaving the garage.
So, can anyone answer the query???

Frey
18-Apr-08, 19:51
Try Caithness and Sutherland Automotive.

they have all the diagnostic equipment and they sorted out my car problems using a laptop I think!!!

Number is 01847 871 364

porshiepoo
18-Apr-08, 20:02
The thing is my friend appears to have fixed the problem now. We'd just like to know whether the fuse box lead would have to have been disconnected before going on the diagnostic machine. The car was fine up to that point and he'd only bought it 4 months earlier from Peugeot Inverness.

Ricco
18-Apr-08, 20:23
Porshie... one thing that mechs usually do is remove the power (normally by disconnecting the battery) to avoid any problems. I can envisage a scenario where they may disconnect one lead from the fuse system to isolate a single component or set of components. Hope your friend gets satisfaction - they should not give up. I had several months of battles with Citroen some years ago and finally won. I listed and quoted everything everything verbatim and kept copies of every transaction. I also got in touch with the Trading Standards Office.

porshiepoo
19-Apr-08, 08:41
Thanks for that Ricco. :)

My friend is certainly kicking up a stink, I've typed up many letters for him and sent them to Trading Standards, Scottish Motor Trade Ass, Peugeot UK, Peugeot at Inverness plus many others.
Up until yesterday he had no car , Peugeot (who broke it) made out it needed a new part for £180 that my friend had to pay for. Did it fix it? Nope! Driving home from the garage the whole thing went again - just shut down - my friends quite lucky he wasn't shifting or going down Berriedale or on one of the hairpin bends. He recovered the vehicle for the second time and that's when we started writing letters.
Pure frustration got him to take a look 3 weeks later and that's when he noticed that at some point the fuse lead had been disconnected and the bolt not put back on. I guess the vibration of driving the car shifted it and made it fail. You'd think one of the garages it's been to would have noticed that huh!
The thing is he had no probs with it till it was put on the diagnostic machine at Arnold Clark Peugeot, so we're figuring they must have not put it back properly (It first broke down on the way back from them).

Hopefully we'll be able to get him some expenses as he's had to pay for towing, a part that obviously wasn't needed and the inconvenience of being without a vehicle for 3 weeks. He lives rural too so relies on his vehicle plus he looks after his elderly mum who is ill. Been a bad time for him.