PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis and tomatoes

percy toboggan
16-Apr-08, 19:30
Early days for me but since changing a diet rich in tomatoes my 'arthur' seems to have improved no end. It's coincided with a new painkiller....co-drydamol but as I'm only taking a half dose I reckon the changed diet...also high in fresh oily fish is helping more ...there are times when I feel almost normal again :eek:.

Worth mentioning to elderly rellies if they don't come online...by chance i found an 'eat to beat arthritis' book in the rubbish...it explained tomatoes were part of the 'nightshade' family and can actually irritate inflammation.

Shame...'cause I love 'em. Lycopene rich too and it's a trade -off...but if you ache, pain and are stiff with osteo-arthritis try giving them a miss for month.

trix
16-Apr-08, 19:53
cheers for 'at peice o' info percy

ma poor grany is really bad wi arthritis, poor wifie....

il pass 'e msg on....;)

karia
16-Apr-08, 20:20
Unfortunately tomato based products contain lypocene which has been proven to reduce your risk of prostate cancer..

...Dashed if ye do..and if ye don't!:(

percy toboggan
16-Apr-08, 20:51
Unfortunately tomato based products contain lypocene which has been proven to reduce your risk of prostate cancer..

...Dashed if ye do..and if ye don't!:(
You're right.
I had good news on the PSA front a couple of weeks ago though so
I reckon I can do wee out em (pardon the pun) for a couple of years if it staves off surgery.

Not sure if I can dispense with ketchup altogether though :confused...it's the great dollops of chopped toms on me breakfast toast that have disappeared.

karia
16-Apr-08, 20:59
You're right.
I had good news on the PSA front a couple of weeks ago though so
I reckon I can do wee out em (pardon the pun) for a couple of years if it staves off surgery.

Not sure if I can dispense with ketchup altogether though :confused...it's the great dollops of chopped toms on me breakfast toast that have disappeared.

Well it's the 'concentrates' such as tomato Ketchup that do most good Percy.....so good decision.

If only HP protected you from breast cancer...I'd be happy!

Penelope Pitstop
17-Apr-08, 12:14
I've also heard that tomatoes can aggravate the problem.

It affects 70% of people over the age of 65 in western countries. Not common in Africia or Asia. People in Africa seemingly have a good diet (or mayve it could be the heat) to avoid arthritis - as recently as 1957 there were no know cases of it there......

Glucosamine is also suppost to be a good supplement for it (in addition to the fish oils you mentioned).....I've got them all just never mind to take them until sore bits flare up! lol

Devils claw is meant to be good as it has anti-inflammatory properties...I haven't tried it.

Liz
17-Apr-08, 12:50
Glad not eating tomatoes is helping Percy. I think all members of the deadly nightshade are supposed to be avoided but this includes the tattie which I couldn't live without!

I have bad arthritis and spondylosis and am having real problems getting a painkiller which helps but doesn't have too many side effects. How do you get on with Co-Drydamol? I haven't tried this.

I use complementary remedies as well such as Glucosamine, MSM and a device called Remedi but still have to take pain killers every day. I take Co-codamol daily and Tramadol occasionally as can't tolerate it every day.:(

You can get Lycopene as a supplement. Not sure whether this would affect arthritis?

percy toboggan
17-Apr-08, 17:31
Tramadol soon sent me bonkers! Very dark depressing thoughts ...I mean I'm hardly an optimistic radiating happiness kind of chap but they caused some kind of cerebral catastrophe...and dreadful dreams.

Declofenac brought me out in a fearsome rash--full of itchy, hot lumps..a mild anapphalactic shock (mis-spelt prob) after a week but it was a shame...they really worked..I felt re-juvenated for a few days.

Co -Codamol bunged me bowels up...and no, I'm far from hypochondriachal folks - the Co-Drydamol seem good....I take half a dose usually 4 per day to get me through work...might knock 'em off soon for a week or two. Co-proxamol were great but they've been 'banned' now because they were such good suicidal pills.. and hundreds were dying unintentionally apparently. Shame they were withdrawn though.

Glucosamine is not good for some diabetics...I'm allegedly borderline but doubt this now...ever since dumping Glucosamine my blood sugar has dropped.

I mean when one considers the very name of the stuff it doesn't look good for diabetics does it? At first my Doc poo-poo'd my concerns yet now he says 'it's only some diabetics who are affected' ...to be honest there are times when I think I know more than him abou the subject.

Liz
17-Apr-08, 17:50
Thanks for that Percy. I must check with my GP re Co-Drydamol as it sounds interesting.

I was given higher strength Co-codamol but that didn't agree with me.

I have found a topical treatment which is really good called Cryogel. It comes in a roll on so is very handy to apply. The one I use is Antioxidant Formula.

airdlass
17-Apr-08, 18:05
Co -drydomol was good but it "bunged" me up pretty bad!
I take Tramadol every day along with various other concoctions(Methotrexate, Nabumetone and anti-tnf treatment)and they keep me going very nicely! Virtually pain free :D