PDA

View Full Version : Chlorinated Tap Water

Camra
15-Apr-08, 19:53
What on earth has happened to the nice water we used to get in Wick.
It smells like i'm drinking chlorinated effluent from the swimming pool,
I'm on the verge of buying bottled water to put in my dram these days.
Loch Calder water, you can keep it....progress my @rse!

ciderally
15-Apr-08, 20:45
ah ..thats a shame they have messed up the water....

Riffman
15-Apr-08, 21:20
Seems all fine to me, you must have got a bad batch through.

Julia
15-Apr-08, 22:19
I haven't noticed any changes to the tap water and I drink loads everyday, does all the town's water come from the same place?

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 22:59
I don't know if you read what I wrote in a previous thread but as far as Scottish Water are aware, the levels of chloramine they put in the water here is normal and they will not change the levels unless they get many complaints from the public because if no one complains, they will just believe there is nothing wrong and the public are happy.

If you want to complain about the quality of water you are receiving, call:
0845 601 8855

Buttercup
15-Apr-08, 23:04
What on earth has happened to the nice water we used to get in Wick.
It smells like i'm drinking chlorinated effluent from the swimming pool,
I'm on the verge of buying bottled water to put in my dram these days.
Loch Calder water, you can keep it....progress my @rse!

We used to get lovely Loch Calder water in Thurso until a few years back when they seem to have added the contents of the swimming pool to it. Some mornings it was like pure bleach coming out the taps and the only way it was possible to drink it was to fill a bottle (with water) and leave it in the fridge a few hours. I know someone that did complain to the water board and a bloke came round, tested it but said there was nothing wrong with it. :roll:
Whilst our water has improved (though, it still has it's off days), I know a relation in the Springpark area has still got the problem.

Shabbychic
15-Apr-08, 23:17
I've had problems with my water for a couple of years now. I don't have any good days. My water comes straight off the mains and when I turn the tap on it gets worse the longer the water runs. Even when running a bath, the water is a milky colour and takes several minutes to clear.

I had someone out about a year ago and I was told it was quite safe to drink, but I have had to resort to bottled water to drink as I can't drink it with the strong chlorine smell.

spurtle
16-Apr-08, 20:31
I've had problems with my water for a couple of years now. I don't have any good days. My water comes straight off the mains and when I turn the tap on it gets worse the longer the water runs. Even when running a bath, the water is a milky colour and takes several minutes to clear.

I had someone out about a year ago and I was told it was quite safe to drink, but I have had to resort to bottled water to drink as I can't drink it with the strong chlorine smell.

I have had a private supply for years - lovely Yarrows water, but must now go on the mains. The water I have tasted out of other people's taps is disgusting. Smells like a swimnming pool, I would not want to cook with it or drink it. If my new supply is as you describe, I shall be complaining. My neighbour is an organic farmer - are the coos allowed to drink it out of the troughs - I bet they aren't.

NLP
16-Apr-08, 20:43
Our water isn't great I've been buying bottled water for a few years now,and up in the bathroom the water has a milky colour to it I wouldn't mind if my name was cleopatra.

balto
16-Apr-08, 21:11
our water went horriable a few years ago, when they rdid the water pipes, wouldnt even think about drinking a glass of water from the tap, i wont even let my rabbits drink it, i buy them bottled water.

moshmosh
17-Apr-08, 19:59
Having lived in Aberdeen almost 2 years and frequently coming back up the road to Wick the difference in the taste and smell of the water is huge. In fact the last time I was up I barely drank any water because it felt as though I was drinking from a swimming pool.

Riffman
17-Apr-08, 20:15
Very strange, I tested our tap water against a bottle of highland spring and there was no discernible difference.

Liz
17-Apr-08, 22:19
Well the water in Reiss still smells and tastes of Chloramine.:(

My neighbours and I (is that the correct grammar?) did complain to Scottish Water but they said it was fine!

Thankfully I have a water filter which takes away the chloramine but it is horrible washing my hair and bathing in it as you can smell it!:confused

Alli
17-Apr-08, 22:32
The milky colour your water is infact air in the water and will settle, also the water is sampled EVERY day for various bacteria and the levels of chloramine are adjusted. If you read the labels of bottled water you can see that they are not tested every day and they also have a use by date. Some bottled water has a couple of years shelf life, the water from the tap is fresh every day.
Try living in a third world counrty where every drop of water is very precious. We can turn on our taps 99.9% of the time and get safe clean drinking water that we even use to flush our toilets with. Can you imagine what it is like to walk MILES every day to get enough water to live on that isn't even safe too drink most of the time.
I for one would rather drink the tap water we have here in Caithness than anywhere else in the world. Even when we go on holiday we have to buy bottled water as it is not up to the European Directives that this country must obey by.

Liz
17-Apr-08, 22:43
Completely agree with you in that we are SO lucky to have running water and not have to walk miles to collect it or use dirty water.

However, why does ours have the problem with chloramine when we didn't have this before with Chlorine?
I wouldn't be able to drink it if I didn't have a filter.

golach
17-Apr-08, 22:55
I for one would rather drink the tap water we have here in Caithness than anywhere else in the world. Even when we go on holiday we have to buy bottled water as it is not up to the European Directives that this country must obey by.
I totally agree, Scottish Water is the best in the world as far as I am concerned, it makes whisky , so it has to be the best [lol]

Liz
17-Apr-08, 23:20
At least the whisky would disguise the taste of the chloramine!:lol:

Anne x
17-Apr-08, 23:29
The water is awful dont know what they have done to it
but smells like the local swimming baths and tastes the same
full of chlorine or whatever you call it
Drank bt water the whole of my stay

Fran
17-Apr-08, 23:55
I live in Wick and the water smells and tastes like chloride, its awful, never known it to be as bad as this. I worry if it is safe so only drink it boiled first.

Riffman
18-Apr-08, 00:44
I am beginning to think that our supply here must be from a magical underground spring as I cannot tell the difference between bottled water and our tap water (south side wick).

I know what real chlorinated water tastes like, lived on the island long enough to decide that desalinated chlorinated water is not even fit for hamsters.

Liz
18-Apr-08, 13:03
I am beginning to think that our supply here must be from a magical underground spring as I cannot tell the difference between bottled water and our tap water (south side wick).

I know what real chlorinated water tastes like, lived on the island long enough to decide that desalinated chlorinated water is not even fit for hamsters.

We're all coming to your house Riffman wi all our choogs and bottles!!!:lol:

unicorn
18-Apr-08, 13:09
I filter all water even for animals, Never take it straight from the tap and the rabbit water is filtered and bottled and sits at least 24 hours before use.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Apr-08, 16:34
The water dis taste funny.Its awfy cloudy and weird looking.But after a few tap turns it sure tastes fine to me.Especially wi a caffiene kick to it.WOW!