PDA

View Full Version : Highland Council Salaries

rob murray
14-Apr-08, 09:23
Dont know if people up North have heard about this, but the Highland News Group is going big guns on a story about a guy who took his redundancy from HIE ( £130,000 ) and ten days later started work with Highland Council for a salary of £100k. The group are making a big deal of the redundancy payment but the real issue here is the salary the council are paying..£100k. This guys previous salary at HIE was £62k...I wonder on what criteria the council based the salary on...very very people in the private sector earn £100k..so they must have based the salary on exisiting council salary bandings. Given tiht council budgets this is an absolute scandal.

brokencross
14-Apr-08, 09:29
I don't agree with it but the reasons given are that they are responsible for multimillion £ budgets and need the going rate of the private sector to get the "right" people for the job.
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2008/03/28/council-bosses-salaries-revealed-84229-20686895/

rob murray
14-Apr-08, 09:36
I don't agree with it but the reasons given are that they are responsible for multimillion £ budgets and need the going rate of the private sector to get the "right" people for the job.
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2008/03/28/council-bosses-salaries-revealed-84229-20686895/

yes I dont agree with either..when is the last time anyone saw a £100k private sector job advertised in this area..if ever....

TBH
14-Apr-08, 10:16
Fourteen earned more than the Prime Minister, while six received more than £200,000.How in hell do council bosses on Teesside justify earning more than the Prime Minister?:eek:

blackcat
14-Apr-08, 10:20
Dont know if people up North have heard about this, but the Highland News Group is going big guns on a story about a guy who took his redundancy from HIE ( £130,000 ) and ten days later started work with Highland Council for a salary of £100k. The group are making a big deal of the redundancy payment but the real issue here is the salary the council are paying..£100k. This guys previous salary at HIE was £62k...I wonder on what criteria the council based the salary on...very very people in the private sector earn £100k..so they must have based the salary on exisiting council salary bandings. Given tiht council budgets this is an absolute scandal.

No wonder they are cutting so many posts............
http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

Cattach
14-Apr-08, 11:19
How in hell do council bosses on Teesside justify earning more than the Prime Minister?:eek:

Have yo not seen the hash the prime minister is making of the job - he is overpaid already!

TBH
14-Apr-08, 11:27
Have yo not seen the hash the prime minister is making of the job - he is overpaid already!I wouldn't say the Prime Minister is overpaid rather is he capable of doing the job. Council bosses earning more than a head of state is an absolutely disgusting abuse of taxpayers money.

rob murray
14-Apr-08, 12:12
How in hell do council bosses on Teesside justify earning more than the Prime Minister?:eek:

Never mind Teeside, this is the Highlands, since when did the Highland econony justify £100k public sector salaries...the guy in question was on £60k...surely HRC HR keep up to date with local salary structured. Given the fact that the guy was made redundant and his blast salary was £0k an offer of around £65 top whack would suffice. We are being bled dry here !!

bobandag16
14-Apr-08, 12:22
Never mind Teeside, this is the Highlands, since when did the Highland econony justify £100k public sector salaries...the guy in question was on £60k...surely HRC HR keep up to date with local salary structured. Given the fact that the guy was made redundant and his blast salary was £0k an offer of around £65 top whack would suffice. We are being bled dry here !!
one chief. how many indians.proportion of costs does not seem right how many basic paid workers will go to cover his pay?

blackcat
14-Apr-08, 12:24
one chief. how many indians.proportion of costs does not seem right how many basic paid workers will go to cover his pay?

The cuts to staff were supposed to go before the Resources Committee on Wednesday but there is nothing relating to that on the agenda!

Boozeburglar
14-Apr-08, 13:18
What you have to realise is that these people are the lower league football stars of bureaucracy.

It takes years of dedication and graft to develop these careers carved in sweat, blood and tears, and they can be over in the blink of a public outrage.

In that light, the transfer fees seem trifling.

The idea that their remuneration should somehow reflect the success of their clubs seems bizarre.

Everyone knows they must run at a significant loss to progress. After all it is for the common good.

£100,000 is a pittance, it won’t even pay for a fireworks extravaganza or a bridge illumination these days!

We cannot expect these people to sup at the same trough as the peasants.

If our region is to join the bigger leagues we need to bathe them in Gucci, Prada and Armani, and fuel their Bentleys.

rob murray
14-Apr-08, 14:42
What you have to realise is that these people are the lower league football stars of bureaucracy.

It takes years of dedication and graft to develop these careers carved in sweat, blood and tears, and they can be over in the blink of a public outrage.

In that light, the transfer fees seem trifling.

The idea that their remuneration should somehow reflect the success of their clubs seems bizarre.

Everyone knows they must run at a significant loss to progress. After all it is for the common good.

£100,000 is a pittance, it won’t even pay for a fireworks extravaganza or a bridge illumination these days!

We cannot expect these people to sup at the same trough as the peasants.

If our region is to join the bigger leagues we need to bathe them in Gucci, Prada and Armani, and fuel their Bentleys.

Class, absolute class lol lol lol ....actually most of them are Matalan fans

The Oracle
14-Apr-08, 15:21

I find it strange that a lot of public money is being wasted in our own area but it is never mentioned!

How much do you think the CH2MHill and AMEC Partners at Dounreay are getting paid?

It'll make £100k a drop in the ocean...or is that Pentland Firth?

rob murray
14-Apr-08, 16:55
I find it strange that a lot of public money is being wasted in our own area but it is never mentioned!

How much do you think the CH2MHill and AMEC Partners at Dounreay are getting paid?

Dont know, but I do know that the Dounreay project has a short life cycle, this council post ( and others like it ) is in place for the long term, ie the guy involved is not working on a time bound project...he is there for the duration.

rob murray
14-Apr-08, 17:05
September, 2007: Scottish Government announce restructuring of Highlands and Islands Enterprise. Stuart Black's post of director of global connections ( £62K ) disappears and Mr Black applies for voluntary redundancy...NOTE HE WAS AT THIS STAGE NOT UNDER THREAT OF REDUNDANCY...in point of fact he was offered another job at the same salary ( as confirmed by HIE Chief Ex in the media )

December, 2007: John Rennilson, Highland Council's director of planning, retires.

14 February, 2008 – Council draws up shortlist to replace Mr Rennilson, which includes Stuart Black.

20 February – Mr Black accepts redundancy from HIE.

29 February – Mr Black is offered council job after successful interview.( £100K WORTH )

7 April – Mr Black starts as council's director of planning.

Green_not_greed
14-Apr-08, 17:09

The big difference is that Dounreay salaries are paid through Westminster taxes and need to be competitive to keep running the Dounreay site.

The council salaries are paid for out of our council taxes, and all we see for increased council taxes are cuts in services and attempts to take decisions out of the hands of those elected to make them and into the hands of overpaid petty civil servants. It is appalling.

The Oracle
14-Apr-08, 17:52
The big difference is that Dounreay salaries are paid through Westminster taxes and need to be competitive to keep running the Dounreay site.

The council salaries are paid for out of our council taxes, and all we see for increased council taxes are cuts in services and attempts to take decisions out of the hands of those elected to make them and into the hands of overpaid petty civil servants. It is appalling.

Whilst I agree with your comment on the Council Tax, do you think that what we get for our Westminster taxes is not important?

The Americans and AMEC are there to make a profit, which costs the tax payer, when there used to be a public sector organisation there that could have done the job and din't need to make a profit.

Whilst there is a need to have competitive salaries to get the right people, there is no evidence that they have and some of what money is spent on appears to be highly questionable, eg staff days out to Orkney, etc. etc.

bekisman
14-Apr-08, 18:33
This maybe (well it is really) going away from what obscene salary the Council is giving away, most of whom have their snouts in the trough, but let's not forget the highly paid CEO's of Charities.
I expect most of us put a few coppers and more into the collecting tins of our favourites.
Maybe yours is the 'Donkey Sanctuary? who's Chief Executive; Dr Elizabeth Svendsen is paid a salary of £91,900? - What about a few coppers for 'Cancer Research UK' with Paul Nurse picking up £140,000 (£2,692.30p a week). Or then again 'Save the Children' and Mike Aaronson going home with £82,002 in his pocket (that's a mere £1,576.96p a week) What about 'Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals'?: £85,000.. 'Cats Protection League' Derek Conway: £75,000..
It was very good to see that the good ole 'sally Bash' AKA 'The Salvation Army' was in there with their boss getting a grand total of (wait for it): £10,258, Yep 10 grand, I'm pleased to state this is one charity I DO give to! Greetings to our own Andrew.C of the Org..
This VERY interesting link gives the annual salary of CEO's in 100 charities:
http://society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,,791702,00.html

Angel
14-Apr-08, 22:25
I hope it wasn't the guy who pointed the bridge at Watten... what a mess...

I would have done it for £75,000 and made a better job of it....lol

Angel

rupert
14-Apr-08, 23:04
I hope it wasn't the guy who pointed the bridge at Watten... what a mess...

I would have done it for £75,000 and made a better jod of it....lol

Angel
Cheap at half the price. I agree, what a blooming mess it looks.

badcall
15-Apr-08, 16:09
I wouldn't say the Prime Minister is overpaid rather is he capable of doing the job. Council bosses earning more than a head of state is an absolutely disgusting abuse of taxpayers money.
Agreed but dont expect the wrong to be righted by lowering Local Gov pay - Gordon the gopher will simply be given more good money after bad to keep a comfortable differential.