PDA

View Full Version : Driving with a provisional

rfr10
11-Apr-08, 20:42
Does anyone know if a licenced driver must have any additional insurance on their car to take someone with a provisional licence out for a practice?

NickInTheNorth
11-Apr-08, 20:47
The learner needs to be insured, as they are driving. That means that if it is someone elses car they will need to add the learner to their policy, unless they have a policy which allows any driver (and even then they should check it covers learners).

rfr10
11-Apr-08, 21:06
The learner needs to be insured, as they are driving. That means that if it is someone elses car they will need to add the learner to their policy, unless they have a policy which allows any driver (and even then they should check it covers learners).

Which policys allow learners to drive or do you have to check with the insurance company to find out?

NickInTheNorth
11-Apr-08, 21:11
Which policys allow learners to drive or do you have to check with the insurance company to find out?

If in doubt about any insurance questions always contact the insurance company concerned.

The driver of the car is always the person that needs to be insured.

The fact that you are asking the questions means there is some doubt. Therefore for the sake of the driver, and the car owner it needs to be checked. Lack of insurance would land both driver and owner in trouble if either involved in an accident, or checked by the police.

angela5
12-Apr-08, 13:37
Does anyone know if a licenced driver must have any additional insurance on their car to take someone with a provisional licence out for a practice?

Remember no speeding! :lol:

Boozeburglar
12-Apr-08, 14:11
I have trade insurance, but always with my private insurance I needed to give them the details of the learner, and they added them to my policy.

Generally 'any driver' does not cover learners unless it is stated, and I would be very careful to make sure you are 100% covered.

:)

EDDIE
12-Apr-08, 16:51

you would have to tell them and im prity sure it will put ure insurance up quite a bit to allow a learner to drive in ure car and yes it is crap

NickInTheNorth
12-Apr-08, 17:02
Some good advice on here too:

http://www.helpingldrivers.com/law/supervisor.htm