PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

Lindsay
08-Apr-08, 20:16
Do you love it or do you hate it? Would you pay someone to do it for you? Let me know you`re thoughts on it please..........................

karia
08-Apr-08, 20:24
I would love it if I could start from square one wi' a pristeen and minimalist house.

As an ongoing task in a cluttered house...it's a chore.

I would never pay someone to clean for me though...too personal!:eek:

skinnydog
08-Apr-08, 20:26
Love it sometimes hate it others. There is that lovely satisfaction in seeing your house sparkling clean from top to bottom knowing that you have done it all by yourself, but possibly given yourself a hernia doing it!! Used to have a cleaner once a week which was lovely but now I do it myself. Don't know that I would bother getting someone in again although you may have planted the seed.......

Kevin Milkins
08-Apr-08, 20:30
Do you love it or do you hate it? Would you pay someone to do it for you? Let me know you`re thoughts on it please..........................

I hate cleaning. How is man supposed to read his paper in the morning with that racket coming from the hoover . DO YOU HAVE TO DO THAT NOW!

Solus
08-Apr-08, 20:37
what ? you mean there is not a cleaning fairy ? she is related to the bed making fairy !

balto
08-Apr-08, 20:38
Oh i love to do my housework, if there are no kids about and my house can stay clean, but if the little one is around then it is a pointless job.

NLP
08-Apr-08, 20:41
Oh i love to do my housework, if there are no kids about and my house can stay clean, but if the little one is around then it is a pointless job.

That's my thinking to, I would never have anyone do my housework I don't like folk touching my stuff.

Dazarch
08-Apr-08, 21:01
I used to have my own cleaning business before Imoved here and charged my customers £10 an hour and had over 10 clients and was doing less than full time hours. Think people really love coming home to a clean house especially if they work all day.

sweetpea
08-Apr-08, 21:05
I can't get into cleaning that much, do the bare minimum to get bye on a day to day basis, sometimes a bit more on a Sat morning but if I had the enthusiasm I'd love to start at the top and work my way down so everything was in it's place.
I'd love someone to come and help me but not as a cleaner, more a motivator, to get my clothes sorted out.
I wouldn't have a cleaner, not my thing.

Lindsay
08-Apr-08, 21:13
I love it when you have just finished a WHOLE DAYS cleaning, everythings put away neat and tidly, there is a lovely wiff of pledge and fairy in the air only for it to last one day before you get............................................... .....................................MUM WHERE DID YOU PUT THIS, MUM I CANNA FIND THIS, THE HUSBAND SAYING 'WELL I PUT IT HERE YESTERDAY AND NOW ITS GONE...ITS NOT MY FAULT! I DIDNT TIDY IT AWAY'
Does this sound familiar with anyone or is it just in my house lol

trinkie
08-Apr-08, 21:32
Even I dont have enough words to describe how much I hate, loath and despise cleaning !

Amen.
Trinkie

cuddlepop
09-Apr-08, 08:35
I love coming home to a clean house but with two dogs that's near impossible.Gardens like a mud pool and would have to hose the dogs down everytime they go out so the minimum is done now until I can get the garden drained.

Have developed a dust allergy so cleaning is medically off the agenda,:D.....honest.

henry20
09-Apr-08, 09:22
HATE cleaning, but would never get anyone in to do it. I'm very fussy about what 'workmen' get into my house.

My sister used to hire a cleaner and she did a great job - she passed the job onto her daughter (my sister assumed she's have the same standard) but her work was sloppy, she charged for hours she never did (house alarm said when she arrived and left) and a lot of things went missing.

She sacked her in the end ........ well, I did it for her when I was down visiting.

She then went to a cleaning firm, but they had problems keeping staff - the good thing was, they had insurance, so any breakages were replaced. (they went out of their way to track down an item that was broken, then my sister broke the replacement soon after :roll:)

She's now moved house and doesn't have a cleaner. It was more hassle than it was worth.

Its a no from me, but I need to find enthusiasm to gut mine out. Having a dog doesn't help because even when you do hoover/sweep within 5 minutes it looks the same as before you started. As much as I love my dog, I'll never get another one :(

pat
09-Apr-08, 10:01
If you are out all day last thing I want to do is come home to do cleaning.

I find cleaning is a time consuming thankless job - you dust and vaccuum, finish and the dust is back again, toilet is clean within a short time it is messy again - my attitude is pay someone who enjoys doing the work then you come home to a clean fresh house (if you have the correct cleaner!) and not have to think about getting down to finding the time to do the cleaning.

I find the same with ironing - so time consuming, but I like my items ironed.

Just wish I could find a fairy to clean out my cupboards!

When is the cleaning fairy and ironing fairy going to take up residence please?

marlyn
09-Apr-08, 10:54
I hate cleaning! and would love to get a cleaner in to clean bathrooms and wash kitchen/bathroom floors. That would do me and it was also make me keep the rest of the house tidy for the cleaner coming in!!

My husband is quite untidy and so am I, we have 2 young kids and a dog - it just seems never ending - and why does no-one visit when you have just cleaned and tidyied, but the world and his wife drop by when the place looks like it has been burgled!!

Most of my firends know what I am like now! and as for dust, it is a natural product - its meant be there - only causes a problem when someone moves an object or the kids draw in it LOL!!

Oh and just thought - my husband does think there is a tidy up fairy/make the bed fairy!!

carasmam
09-Apr-08, 11:36
..... and it was also make me keep the rest of the house tidy for the cleaner coming in!!

:lol: I'd end up tidying before the cleaner came too

golach
09-Apr-08, 11:45
I dont mind cleaning, Mrs G and I have various chores in the house, we share everything from cleaning to hoovering, washing the windows, cooking and even washing the dishes, rule in this house who ever cooks, the other washes up.
Only Job I don't do is the ironing, Mrs G on the other hand does enjoy ironing, so we are both happy.
And I love the smell of a house thats had a good scrub up and polish

badger
09-Apr-08, 11:55
I hate housework and will find any and every excuse not to do it - in fact the only good thing about it is the feeling of satisfaction when it's done, but I wouldn't pay anyone else to do it. Should be doing it now but sun is shining and the car is dirty so there's another excuse.

Angela
09-Apr-08, 12:05
I don't mind it so much now as there's a lot less to do, but I've generally found it a tedious and thankless task.

When I was pregnant with my third child I had such bad heartburn I couldn't bend down to pick things up off the floor so I did get a cleaner in once a week. Must say I felt slightly guilty and had to resist the temptation to try to clean up for the cleaner coming -rather defeating the purpose! :roll:

I kept my cleaner on for a couple of years and once I'd got used to her coming, it did make a wonderful difference, and gave me the time and energy to do more with my children and just feel generally less exhausted.:)

justine
09-Apr-08, 13:10
I can take it or leave it, depending on my mood or what else is going on.Although the first thing after breakfast and school runs is done i hit the front room and kitchen and do what needs to be done.I hoover everyday, but sometimes i will miss doing the upstairs...But then the oldest three do the bedrooms on a sat every week.
But if i could have it done for me or atleast a hand with it all then i would take the offer....Its not easy with a large family...picking up all the time...I cant even leave toys around the front room coz they mount up during the day....

But then i dont like people going through my stuff so maybe not....

ciderally
09-Apr-08, 14:51
love it and hate it...all depends on the mood....
have had cleaners in ...okay if your working and dont have the time

ExoticQueen
09-Apr-08, 14:58
used too clean peoples houses and they always got a high standard when they were out at work all day they loved too come home too a clean house ,used too do everything ironing,washing,the whole house and they really appreached what i did was with them for three and a half years,:)

cd1977
09-Apr-08, 15:03
People who are obsessed with cleaning scare me.

justine
09-Apr-08, 15:07

Thats sounds like my brother. If you visit him and this is no lie he will walk behind you with a brush..he insulted my mother by doing this one year.She was not amused.

When he had his son, he would follow him in the garden brushing up any sand that fell out of the sandpit..My mother did tell me she sat at the table one evening flicking peas at her grandson, and no my brother was not amused..He is obsessed and its freaky.He wont have my lot near his blooming house..

cuddlepop
09-Apr-08, 15:42
Thats sounds like my brother. If you visit him and this is no lie he will walk behind you with a brush..he insulted my mother by doing this one year.She was not amused.

When he had his son, he would follow him in the garden brushing up any sand that fell out of the sandpit..My mother did tell me she sat at the table one evening flicking peas at her grandson, and no my brother was not amused..He is obsessed and its freaky.He wont have my lot near his blooming house..

My eldest young brother's like that and we're all convinced he's got OCD and over the years its been getting worse.
Its actually really freaky.:eek:

cd1977
09-Apr-08, 15:51
If I have to take my shoes off to even enter someone's house, then I would rather not bother going in.

What that says is - the cleanliness of my house is my over-riding concern.

That attitude really freaks me out.

Sapphire2803
09-Apr-08, 16:18
If I have to take my shoes off to even enter someone's house, then I would rather not bother going in.

What that says is - the cleanliness of my house is my over-riding concern.

That attitude really freaks me out.

Everyone takes their shoes off in our hallway, but that's only because we live out in the countryside and no door mat is that good. If everyone wandered in wearing their shoes, I'd be scrubbing the carpet once a week.
Having said that, don't think for one minute that I live in a show house. It ranges between tidy and freshly hoovered/dusted, untidy and a bit dusty (an hour or so later) and really untidy, with a layer of dust (24 hours later)
We're trying to do the house up as we go along and as money allows (it's an old croft)

On second thoughts, maybe people should take their shoes of at our door... to protect their shoes! ;)

Sapphire2803
09-Apr-08, 16:22
Oops! I never did answer the original question.
I usually hate cleaning, I hated it less before I had kids.
Having said that, I have a cleaning blitz a few times a year and I love that. I throw everything out that's not completely necessary and when I'm finished everything is clean and fresh smelling and polished...
Mind you, all those things that I threw away tend to become necessary again as soon as the bin lorry has pulled away :lol:

anneoctober
09-Apr-08, 18:14
The short answer Lindsay is...WHEN do you want to start?!:lol: I have no problems with people taking away our dust etc. I detest housework, if someone loves it enough to do it for me and get paid - well who am I to argue?!;)

Fluff
09-Apr-08, 18:44
annoys me when it builds up, but i love the satisfied feeling once it is done!

On sunday by boyfriend and I gave the place a good going over. I scrubbed the shower (on my hands and knees) and it is soo nice seeing it white again!

Once it is all done, THEN you can relax!

ocd
09-Apr-08, 20:09

You should be scared of me then...... where do you think my name came from..:Razz

Fran
10-Apr-08, 04:06
I love cleaning and like the house always clean and fairly tidy.wish I had enough time to get the painting done.
I just love ironing, find it very relaxing, used to do ironing for people but there doesnt seem the need now.

Sapphire2803
10-Apr-08, 10:54
Well, apparently (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7338644.stm), cleaning is good for your mental health!
I think it's the exercise bit that's good for you and this is a cunning plan to get us all cleaning.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Apr-08, 11:45
Well, apparently (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7338644.stm), cleaning is good for your mental health!
I think it's the exercise bit that's good for you and this is a cunning plan to get us all cleaning.

I love cleaning the house but just dont seem to find the time.

I have to admit I do have a cleaner who does a little for me and she is a great help and it is lovely to come home from work to find the house clean tidy and no need to run around like a mad woman before the kids and hubby get in. :)

Highland Laddie
10-Apr-08, 12:33

Well being a man, i hate doing housework, so i am delighted to have someone do it for me.
Unfortunately, it costs me almost all of my wages every week, and here was me thinking getting a wife was going to give me a clean house and plenty money. NOT.