PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Watchmaker Manson

sbest9154
01-Apr-08, 22:40
Does anyone know anything about Alexander Manson a watchmaker in Thurso, died about 1840? Any idea where the watchmaker shop would have been?

thirsaloon
02-Apr-08, 12:30
Alexander Manson’s shop was in Main Street, Thurso, which is now Traill Street. There is also someone of the same name, again in Main Street registered as a Vintner owning a bar called the Waterloo. Perhaps this is a relation or the same person multi-tasking with two properties!

trinkie
02-Apr-08, 19:12
I know I am straying from the point here - but something interesting has come to mind - when I lived in Bristol 40yrs ago, a neighbour of ours went to Thurso every year to look after the clocks of a very rich man who lived along the riverside. He used to stay there for at least a week - and said the food was served on golden plates !! I say !
My neighbour was a wonderful gentleman of the old school, who used to raise his hat in greeting.

I bet Thirsaloon will know of this rich man.

Trinkie

sbest9154
04-Apr-08, 14:16
Thank you Thirsaloon. Do you have any dates for the information about the watchmaker shop on Main St.? Is that from an old directory?

My ggggrandfather Alexander Manson married Janet Dunnet 17 Dec 1767 in Olrig, but he is listed in other documents as being a merchant, town Thurso. I see a watchmaker Alexander Manson Will listed on Scotlands People, so I guess I'll pay my 5 pounds and see if that's him. (Don't see a Will for a vintner.)

thirsaloon
04-Apr-08, 20:43
Thank you Thirsaloon. Do you have any dates for the information about the watchmaker shop on Main St.? Is that from an old directory?

My ggggrandfather Alexander Manson married Janet Dunnet 17 Dec 1767 in Olrig, but he is listed in other documents as being a merchant, town Thurso. I see a watchmaker Alexander Manson Will listed on Scotlands People, so I guess I'll pay my 5 pounds and see if that's him. (Don't see a Will for a vintner.)

Sent you a pvt message regarding the above!!! :D