PDA

View Full Version : Peace on Earth

nawthun
01-Apr-08, 19:15
Do you think that peace on earth (barring any in-country skirmishes) is possible and what would be needed to achieve this?

percy toboggan
01-Apr-08, 19:30
Given the state of water supplies worldwide it's not going to happen...future wars will be fought over diminishing water and oil supplies.

Ironically the only thing that might bring about 'peace in our time' is year round heavy rain on a daily, hourly basis...nothing else will stop men fighting each other...killing each other...it's a human failing...but human's do not particularly like getting wet !

Metalattakk
01-Apr-08, 19:43
Tell that to those who died at the Somme, or those who lost their lives in Operation Barbarossa.

Rainy weather didn't save them there, I can tell you. The desire to kill and not be killed is stronger than a simple dislike of the rain. ;)

percy toboggan
01-Apr-08, 19:54
Tell that to those who died at the Somme, or those who lost their lives in Operation Barbarossa.

Rainy weather didn't save them there, I can tell you. The desire to kill and not be killed is stronger than a simple dislike of the rain. ;)
A very fair point.
In fact it's a devastating one, and I withdraw my half-baked theory completely.:rolleyes:

Kevin Milkins
01-Apr-08, 20:13
Being of a hunter gatherer type background it is in our built in mechanism to hunt and kill our prey and at the same time try not to be killed. Sport I think in modern society does quench this thirst to a certian degree but now and again it does show its ugly side in other ways. I certainly dont pretend to have any answears to offer, but I would advise not to dwell on it to much.
If you have an overwhelming desire to start a war go and join the local rugby club.If playing rugby does not get it out of your system you can get sloshed in the bar after and forget about it.